RobMGy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 04:55 PM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1328912/3

Third post down.

Do you need a certain rank in this forum for your audio to be in a contest?

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/518297 Was the song.

RobMGy
RobMGy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Actually the second post down.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

• Demon Child
    Demon Child by RobMGy

Angry Techno/Dance song

Score
    4.30 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

This entry was missed for some odd reason. But anyways, here is the spotlight score for this submission:

Novelty/Originality -- 77%

Quality/Mastering -- 68%

Emotion/Immersion -- 51%

Instruments/Programs Quality -- 40%

Writing/Sequencing -- 56%

Total Score -- 292

I am so imperfect.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
RobMGy
RobMGy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:05 PM Reply

Thank you!

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Well...at least I got the highest Novelty/Originality score. That at least makes me feel proud of who I am as an individual. This contest surely was a push to create, but there's obviously some people who know how to work with that push better...I mean, just the length of those songs alone are tremendous. I think that's a big push in itself. Anyways, big thanks for the contest Bosa, and of course a felicitaciones to the Splendormasters. Maybe another day I can prove myself to yawl.

It's not over till the fat lady dies!

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 05:05 PM, RobMGy wrote: Thank you!

No, thank YOU for finally fixing my OCD and making the turnout a precise 50!

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 05:15 PM, camoshark wrote:
At 2/4/13 05:05 PM, RobMGy wrote: Thank you!
No, thank YOU for finally fixing my OCD and making the turnout a precise 50!

OCPD*

sorry, my ocpd kicking in

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

Congrats to winners. I quite surprise that bassfiddlejones didn't win, his entry is kickass. Found a lot of rare gems in this contest, and I learned a lot from them :D

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 05:07 PM, ZipZipper wrote: This contest surely was a push to create, but there's obviously some people who know how to work with that push better...I mean, just the length of those songs alone are tremendous. I think that's a big push in itself.

To be blunt, ZipZipper: I had two weeks to rehash Letters from the Journey to Stonyhurst, which is essentially what I had to work with during each round of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch last year. And my piece is one of the shortest and one of the most simplistic (if not the most). And in addition I had my Advocacy exam and stomach pains to deal with. But there's something I want to share with you: ultimately, what are you there to convey? What defines *you*? If you had a little bit of time to share something, what would you do?

I say this as encouragement so that when you enter another competition, you'll be able to put that as the focus during a competition. That you aren't going to give up is a good sign in itself, and I commend you. We learn in things like these, and I have confidence you'll be able to draw something from this too.

And on that note, guys: I have the signatures!

Dreams of Splendor Final Results

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:15 PM Reply

Buoy: Here's yours --

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

SkyeWintrest, here's yours.
And I know that by the end of this I'll be quintuple-posting UNLESS this is broken by someone's message.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:19 PM Reply

*Quadruple-posting, sorry. I can automatically put mine on.
And DeadlyFishes, here is yours.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 05:17 PM, Buoy wrote: OCPD*

CDOP - in alphabetical order.

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:34 PM Reply

Congratulations to the winners! Great songs I must admit.

I agreed with almost every score you gave me except the originality part. How often do you hear DnB/Orchestral hybrids? I have heard only one in my lifetime , and I listen to and locate new DnB songs everyday. Oh well, I guess everyone has their opinions, I don't think I will ever understand that though D:

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 07:34 PM, DJM4C wrote: I agreed with almost every score you gave me except the originality part. How often do you hear DnB/Orchestral hybrids? I have heard only one in my lifetime , and I listen to and locate new DnB songs everyday. Oh well, I guess everyone has their opinions, I don't think I will ever understand that though D:

Have you ever heard of Waterflame?
.....Yeah. And users in his league.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Jonicorn
Jonicorn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 08:43 PM Reply

Haha, wow this sucks. Just speed mixed my entry.. Well, il upload it just the same.. Gz to the lucky winners.

~rock n' drool~

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 08:44 PM Reply

Congrats to all participants! You're still alive!

BBS Signature
SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

I... FEEL... FANCY!

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 08:57 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: I... FEEL... FANCY!

You gonna use that fancy schmancy sig anytime soon?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 06:10 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: But there's something I want to share with you: ultimately, what are you there to convey? What defines *you*? If you had a little bit of time to share something, what would you do?

I say this as encouragement so that when you enter another competition, you'll be able to put that as the focus during a competition. That you aren't going to give up is a good sign in itself, and I commend you. We learn in things like these, and I have confidence you'll be able to draw something from this too.

So it's the stress you had that represents your push. You were discussing how you weren't going to make it, yet during the final moments you pushed through and made something self-representative; splendorworthy.

I thought I conveyed who I was quite clearly, and it was my main focus to show myself to the fullest. I think that shows in my originality score. The problem is...there wasn't enough backing up the idea? Not enough quality in the backing up of the idea? Idea too weird? Whatever. It is what is is. The future holds another greatest song ever.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:10 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 2/4/13 06:10 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: But there's something I want to share with you: ultimately, what are you there to convey? What defines *you*? If you had a little bit of time to share something, what would you do?

So it's the stress you had that represents your push. You were discussing how you weren't going to make it, yet during the final moments you pushed through and made something self-representative; splendorworthy.

I thought I conveyed who I was quite clearly, and it was my main focus to show myself to the fullest. I think that shows in my originality score. The problem is...there wasn't enough backing up the idea? Not enough quality in the backing up of the idea? Idea too weird? Whatever. It is what is is. The future holds another greatest song ever.

Strangely enough, I did say in the contest thread (I mean the one for the submissions, not the discussion thread) that this wasn't going to be my best piece ever. And then someone sorta said in response to what I said, this: "Makes song about himself. Does not want it to be his best piece. I am confused." I still maintain that I want my best piece ever to be a Mass setting, hands down. This competition-like setting isn't going to be the best backdrop for that piece, and besides, I cannot force it -- this is something that I want to well up from within.

That doesn't mean I didn't let this current submission well up from within. TBH, was I expecting to be top? Not really, no. Was I even expecting to beat deadlyfishes of all people? I wasn't even imagining it.

(I have listened to your piece, by the way -- review coming shortly.)

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 06:19 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: *Quadruple-posting, sorry. I can automatically put mine on.

Looks great! Congrats btw!

Do you think you or someone else can do the other contest? It's in my sig, it was bosa's previous one. No one made sigs for it :(

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:23 PM, deadlyfishes wrote:
At 2/4/13 06:19 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: *Quadruple-posting, sorry. I can automatically put mine on.
Looks great! Congrats btw!

Do you think you or someone else can do the other contest? It's in my sig, it was bosa's previous one. No one made sigs for it :(

Who were the top four for Quest for the Crown, now? You, and then...?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:31 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Who were the top four for Quest for the Crown, now? You, and then...?

Never mind, I got it.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:10 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 2/4/13 08:57 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: I... FEEL... FANCY!
You gonna use that fancy schmancy sig anytime soon?

Why yes, I am. It's already active. ^_^

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:23 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: Do you think you or someone else can do the other contest? It's in my sig, it was bosa's previous one. No one made sigs for it :(

Now as for Quest for the Crown, I've done the sigs. Did a quick fix to the Dreams of Splendour ones. Where shall I upload them? Here or on the previous thread?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
FooRight
FooRight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:52 PM Reply

Specifically, how exactly were each of the category scores determined?

:90% of the categories can only be subjectively graded, meaning favoritism is unavoidable?

Congrats to the winners. A lot of big surprises came from this competition.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:52 PM, FooRight wrote: Specifically, how exactly were each of the category scores determined?

90% of the categories can only be subjectively graded, meaning favoritism is unavoidable?

You must understand I am not obligated to these contests. I do these in order to promote you and help get the audio community moving forward. I'm not focusing on regulation and winners; I'm focusing on helping both new and old artists grow. It's not my intention to make a fool out of people if they score low.. I WOULD HOPE that the audio community would have an open mind and offer sound advice to each other -- whether you score low or high. Prizes are temporary. Growth and progress will last much longer for you.

Do you believe there was a problem with how I scored the submissions?

BBS Signature
FooRight
FooRight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 10:37 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 2/4/13 09:52 PM, FooRight wrote: Specifically, how exactly were each of the category scores determined?

90% of the categories can only be subjectively graded, meaning favoritism is unavoidable?
You must understand I am not obligated to these contests. I do these in order to promote you and help get the audio community moving forward. I'm not focusing on regulation and winners; I'm focusing on helping both new and old artists grow. It's not my intention to make a fool out of people if they score low.. I WOULD HOPE that the audio community would have an open mind and offer sound advice to each other -- whether you score low or high. Prizes are temporary. Growth and progress will last much longer for you.

Do you believe there was a problem with how I scored the submissions?

I have no quarrel with the outcome of anyone's score. I have genuine curiosity as to how these were literally scored; the process; what 1 point in each category is equivalent to, etc..

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 10:41 PM, FooRight wrote: I have no quarrel with the outcome of anyone's score. I have genuine curiosity as to how these were literally scored; the process; what 1 point in each category is equivalent to, etc..

You can score anywhere from 0-100 in each category. I judged based on each performance under each certain category. I went through the list of entrees, judging each one carefully. I did not add up the total scores until all the categories for all the submissions were scored.

I believe this process worked well because it was more precise and structured than me just going and picking my favorite songs. Judging each category prevented favoritism quite well enough.

Were you satisfied with the results of the contest?

BBS Signature