Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to General thoughts on life thread Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:27 AM Reply

Had a not so good day today

we have to some mandatory work experience bullshit for school and we don't really get much time to organize it

bus ride home was really shit the bus was full up and I feel really awkward during those times

I have a lot of school work to do and I can't be fucked I have no motivation

I just have to remember that this year will be no where near as bad as 2011 was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to General thoughts on life thread Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:01 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 08:14 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: Although, I have to ask you. What are your thoughts on energy? Don't we as human being carry around with us energy? I know that when we did, our bodies cease to function, but Einstein proved that energy can not be destroyed, only changed.

All "energy" we posses is stored various forms in the body. Some in the form of fat, others take on more complicated forms, like muscles. It's similar to how the dinosaurs died, storing huge amounts of energy. It's the same energy we use today to fuel our cars, but over the course of thousands of years under heavy pressure, has made the energy much easier to extract.

Everything can be explained scientifically, and there's really no need for layman speculation.

As for the people complaining about technology doing the opposite of what it should: What? Have you even read the latest scientific progress? We're on the brink of discovering our universes place in a potential multiverse. We're so close to discovering the basic fundamental properties of all. We've made great medical progress, going from "people dieing of an unknown disease" to finding, categorizing AIDS, and now it's a manageable chronological condition, rather than a mystery of the body attacking itself.

Before you enter a pointless rant about how "social medias" and "new technology" is ruining humanity - perhaps take a brief second to consider that the only reason other people can read your thoughts at all, is because of that same social media, and new technology. Life is exactly what you make of it, you will do what you do and nothing even matters in the end.

Apologies if I come off as cross, but I'm not really getting much from this discussion.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to General thoughts on life thread Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:23 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:01 AM, Havegum wrote: Everything can be explained scientifically, and there's really no need for layman speculation.

You are right, but you are also wrong. I am not your typical layman. I have always been very into science, and read up on these things you're telling me. But what imaginative hypothesis, the greatest scientist could never truly understand how something works. A genius is usually classified as someone who thinks in a way that no other human being has ever really looked at the world. Now, if a scientist is to be unimaginative, then he will not be able to come up with the idea to even try it.

You know, it's not just about great experiments, and great discoveries. It's about the perfect questions.

As for the people complaining about technology doing the opposite of what it should: What? Have you even read the latest scientific progress? We're on the brink of discovering our universes place in a potential multiverse. We're so close to discovering the basic fundamental properties of all.

Oh, and I 100% agree. I have had these thoughts before. The point I was making is that the more this stuff is made available, the easier it is to notice that most of the world is stupid for not bothering with trying to educate themselves. I was bitching about how people are, not about how I am. I don't walk around with my nose buried in my phone. I see it though, and I see what people use the internet for. I'm just making observations. And besides, that is what should really connect. The humanity. The wonder. The secrets of life. Not the technology to get it done, but a large group of educated men and women who are worthy of traveling to different worlds someday in the future. No doubt these people will exist. But the rest of us never went to the fucking moon. Understand what I'm saying? WE aren't doing any space traveling. Our species is. But most of us are never going to do it, and it's not because we aren't astronauts. It's not because we don't have the money. It's because we, you and me, this whole species, is still extremely retarded in the grand scheme of things, for lack of a better definition. We might as well be cavemen compared to the people who are going to be alive in even just another 5000 years. Never mind if we make it for another million. The truths that could be told at that point would make both of our speculations look inferior to the point of retarded. It would be like us trying to show a caveman an action packed CGI enhanced 3d movie on our IPhone. The best they had was fire, and maybe the wheel and some rough tools and crafts and cave drawings for entertainment.

We've made great medical progress, going from "people dieing of an unknown disease" to finding, categorizing AIDS, and now it's a manageable chronological condition, rather than a mystery of the body attacking itself.

Before you enter a pointless rant about how "social medias" and "new technology" is ruining humanity

Whoa, you completely missed my point. I'm complaining that I live in a world were all of this technology is in front of us, and people as uneducated in America as they have ever been. Maybe worse. Sure we used to have myths and old wives tales, but that made things more humane. Before people could just shove a TV in front of their faces, and eventually many different screens after the birth of the PC and smart phones, people used to talk to each other. It used to be real. Now everyone tries to act alike because they saw the same movie. You see people causing drama because they saw it on reality TV. I would have liked to live at a time and a place where all the people were still original, and strange. Because they were all different everywhere you went. Nobody was unified like they are now. A man woman or child living in one area was not acting like another because this was before stupid "fads" and "trends". Trends are really more of a modern thing. I don't mean that they are new to this world. Their has always been trends. But in this day and age, everyone is hooked up into everyone else in cyberspace, and there are big groups of people throughout the world who have similar beliefs because they are copying all the information from what they have before them. The reason I'm complaining is that people put stupid things in their minds. Celebrity news and dumb meaningless garbage. I was never knocking technology. I just think it's going to be the downfall of mankind because we aren't ready for it. Especially nuclear weapons. As a rather new species to this Earth, we have no business already understanding how to wipe everything alive out of existence.

Although I could get into some crazy discussions with you about my thoughts on that already. I'm sure there have been creatures, maybe not humans, but creatures who lived before us on this Earth who were roughly as intelligent as we were. I have a vivid imagination but it is supported by things I know to be true about this Earth.

Now, everyday, the Earth is turning itself inside out. It happens slowly, over the course of billions of years. But my point is that what is in the center of the Earth will eventually become what's on the surface, and the surface of the Earth will eventually find it's way to the middle of the Earth. This planet constantly recycles itself. That's why we get things like the shifting of the continents. I believe that at more than one point in time, this planet has been inhabited by generations of creatures that predated any known fossil record, and the proof could never be dig up, because all of the markings and traces of their civilizations are now liquid burning hot nickel and other metals in the center of the Earth. We could never dig that far. The lost city of Atlantis is nothing. I'll bet we've had all kind of species, and ancient animal and lizard creatures, and really unexplainable form of life on this planet. I also believe in other dimensions, and so if you add that on top of it, you can see why I try to keep my imagination as open as possible. I know there are unknowable questions. What angers me is my own inability to how most humans are ignorant, and believe there are things such as definite science. What many be true in our universe maybe be completely upside down and reversed in another plain of existence.

- perhaps take a brief second to consider that the only reason other people can read your thoughts at all, is because of that same social media, and new technology. Life is exactly what you make of it, you will do what you do and nothing even matters in the end.

Apologies if I come off as cross, but I'm not really getting much from this discussion.

I think you maybe just took this the wrong way. I'm not a bitching teenager. I'm an informed adult. The majority of our species can't handle these advances in our many assorted technologies. Everyone is still at the childish stage of using all we know for the wrong reasons. Like being a dick online because it feels good. You can finally tell someone to fuck off and you don't even have to ever own up for it. This new generation lacks character because they can be douchebags and never have to seriously pay for the repercussions of their social behavior. If you did not get much from this discussion, read it again, without picturing me as bitching about ME and MY personal habits. I'm bitching about THEM. I see OTHERS doing these things, and I feel like we aren't going to make it. Not with Nukes.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to General thoughts on life thread Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 06:14 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:23 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Whoa, you completely missed my point. I'm complaining that I live in a world were all of this technology is in front of us, and people as uneducated in America as they have ever been.

A good part of my previous post was directed to what seemed to be the general consensus of the thread, rather than you specifically. I realize I should've hinted to that in the post itself, oh well.

I think the idea that technology haven't improved our general intelligence is not evidence of us not being "worthy" of it, in a sense. Obviously I'm exaggerating by saying "worthy", but in lack of better words it's what I choose to go with. I don't think there's any real way to make us "natively" used to new technology, or to make our species more intelligent as a whole. Apart from maybe extreme gene manipulation, whose research is stalled already due to moral issues.

As mentioned by @kisame earlier, we're perfectly capable of self destruction regardless of technology. The city of Atlantis would be an example for that, and the other intelligent creatures you mention have also managed to completely vanish, with or without the technology we have today. The only difference would be that the communication we have available opens the possibility of a social crisis in a completely different way than before.

Information is for those who seek it. As you've mentioned we've got just about every tiny bit of information available, yet so few choose to indulge themselves in it. I believe that is a fair choice. However, information comes in many forms and is appreciated on a different fundamental level. You could say people who play instruments as a hobby are actually exploring the information concerning music on a practical level. Similarly you could say people who spend their time on social medias are exploring the social, and personal aspects of the specific people they're following. I'm sure there's a whole field dedicated to exploring behavior and addiction to social networks, but I'm in no way an expert to the subject. I'm not comfortable speculating, so I'll refrain from doing that.

Blah, that turned out to be an essay of the nature I advised against.

Also, when I said I wasn't getting much from this thread, I meant in the sense that my previous posts were just recitations of my already in-place idea. So rather than actively joining in debate, I was just sharing my point of view without much thought put into it. This post is more interesting as I'm challenged to think differently.

BBS Signature
McKeeCPA
McKeeCPA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to General thoughts on life thread Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:35 AM Reply

I did so as soon as. It was awesome.

Jumbe
Jumbe
  • Offline.