New Topic Respond to this Topic
pintobeanclock
pintobeanclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

I want to get a couple opinions if you don't mind. The first thing is, I know how to use AS2 very well. I know AS3 has been around for a while now, but I just haven't learned any AS3. Would it be bad to continue using AS2? Will using AS2 make my flash seem out dated or bad compared to those who use AS3? Another thing, do you think flash is dying? Is working on serious flash projects a waste of time?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 11:01 PM, pintobeanclock wrote: I want to get a couple opinions if you don't mind. The first thing is, I know how to use AS2 very well. I know AS3 has been around for a while now, but I just haven't learned any AS3. Would it be bad to continue using AS2? Will using AS2 make my flash seem out dated or bad compared to those who use AS3?

AS4 is coming out soonish, so you'd be two versions behind. Plus Adobe deprecated AS2. It's not that using it is bad, it's just that AS3 is much better and is recommended by the people who made it.

Another thing, do you think flash is dying? Is working on serious flash projects a waste of time?

No.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

Working on a serious project in AS2 would be a waste of time, but I don't think Flash is going anywhere anytime soon.
If you're using proper AS2 then you could probably roll with it. But if you're using AS1 then you wasted your time ever learning it. Learning AS3 is the best move.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 01:55 AM Reply

Invest in your future, learn Haxe.

Asteroids || Never trust a gay Canadian?

milchreis
milchreis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 11:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: AS4 is coming out soonish

not

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 03:28 AM, milchreis wrote:
not

I thought 'soonish' means 'in a few more decades'.

:Just look at JavaScript 2.

adeadfetus
adeadfetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 11:01 PM, pintobeanclock wrote: I want to get a couple opinions if you don't mind. The first thing is, I know how to use AS2 very well. I know AS3 has been around for a while now, but I just haven't learned any AS3. Would it be bad to continue using AS2? Will using AS2 make my flash seem out dated or bad compared to those who use AS3? Another thing, do you think flash is dying? Is working on serious flash projects a waste of time?

It's yourchoice what language to learn, as long as you can do what you want to do with it, then go ahead. You can write your stuff in assembler and convert that to Flash for all I care. It doesn'tmake your stuff seem outdated or bad because how would we know that you're using AS2? Flash isn't dying, people just don't seem to like it as much anymore. I give HTML5 a few more years before (and if) it becomes big and by then we'd already know it. It's not a waste of time, it's just not as awesome as before.

milchreis
milchreis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 10:01 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
not

It was officially announced.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 04:14 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 12:43 PM, milchreis wrote:
At 2/4/13 10:01 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
not
It was officially announced.

They said JS2 would come out in 2008... now it's 2013.

Maybe it's just me and my wishful thinking. I sure wouldn't want to be two versions behind.

WhaleMan
WhaleMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

But people really bitching if you use as2 -.-

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:44 PM, WhaleMan wrote: But people really bitching if you use as2 -.-

Because using AS2 - which specifically in your case in AS1 - is old, slow and weak. Avoid using AS3 today is like prefering to remove the internet system and bringing back the ships carrying letters.

adeadfetus
adeadfetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:50 PM, Spysociety wrote:
At 2/6/13 03:44 PM, WhaleMan wrote: But people really bitching if you use as2 -.-
Because using AS2 - which specifically in your case in AS1 - is old, slow and weak. Avoid using AS3 today is like prefering to remove the internet system and bringing back the ships carrying letters.

Pigeons.

Anyway, if anyone else is ever curious or going to bash someone for their use of language, read my post a bit above.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 10:51 PM, adeadfetus wrote: Pigeons.

correct, however they don't fly across oceans.

Anyway, if anyone else is ever curious or going to bash someone for their use of language, read my post a bit above.

I will challenge that by saying: "Pretty much everything you learn from AS1 is a bad programming habit, and should (and will) be forgotten once you pick up any other language ever made."

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 12:14 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 11:01 PM, egg82 wrote:

I will challenge that by saying: "Pretty much everything you learn from AS1 is a bad programming habit, and should (and will) be forgotten once you pick up any other language ever made."

It is possible to use AS2 well, and actually is fairly easy while coding on frames and using the class based structure but I'll give it a stretch and say it's not possible to design and code a well-written game in AS1, and if your "AS2" code is riddled with AS1 functions and properties such as add(), eval(), tellTarget, with(), onClipEvent(), et cetera. . . Then you've pretty much doomed yourself.

The problem with AS2 is that it supports AS1 function, and they're easy to copy/paste from the internet so most people use them, but the truly good game will come from well-written AS3 99.9% of the time. You have to realize, the last time traditional AS2 was a good option was when Windows '98 was the newest thing out there.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Is it bad to use Action Script 2.0? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 03:08 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 12:14 AM, MintPaw wrote:
At 2/6/13 11:01 PM, egg82 wrote:

It is possible to use AS2 well, and actually is fairly easy while coding on frames and using the class based structure but I'll give it a stretch and say it's not possible to design and code a well-written game in AS1, and if your "AS2" code is riddled with AS1 functions and properties such as add(), eval(), tellTarget, with(), onClipEvent(), et cetera. . . Then you've pretty much doomed yourself.

The problem with AS2 is that it supports AS1 function, and they're easy to copy/paste from the internet so most people use them, but the truly good game will come from well-written AS3 99.9% of the time. You have to realize, the last time traditional AS2 was a good option was when Windows '98 was the newest thing out there.

I beg to differ on with{}. Although I agree that it inhibits code readability most of the time, I feel it would be quite awkward not to use it when you're using the drawing API. It also occasionally helps make things easier when you're creating a script for a non-programmer. When I wrote this thingamajig, I decided to use with{} so that the animator can write the gotoAndPlay()s (assigned to the buttons, which are dynamically added through the ScrollingButtons class) from the point of view of the main timeline.