Be a Supporter!

why do so many people hate CoD

  • 4,085 Views
  • 118 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 10:17:44 Reply

My post

RWG's response


BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 19:25:22 Reply

Ah, well why the fuck didn't you say so? Why'd you go on some incoherent rant, and then only clarify yourself AFTER it had been misconstrued? Of course, this wouldn't be the first time you've pulled that shit.
Anyway, what you are describing isn't really a "skill-based game," it is an inaccessible game. Obviously, better players should have a decisive advantage over lesser players. However, new players should still have an entry point to learn, and get better. They shouldn't be bogged down by user un-friendly gameplay mechanics, and they shouldn't be punished for trying to learn how to play the game.

The problem, RWG, is that I did say so.
"I could just as well say that in game A if it's harder to hit the target for unskilled players (the target being a skilled player) it would be both easier to dodge and hit the target for the more skilled player whilst being harder to dodge and harder to hit the target for the player with less skill and finesse"
If a quote like this honestly makes you question whether I'm speaking English then your brain must have a culmination of problems, but I won't entertain that anymore.

I don't think you realize that a game is only as inaccessible as the amount of effort you're not willing to put into it. Nearly every skill based game can be made accessible with tutorials and tiers of play. Quake Online's placement tutorial is a good example of this in action.

Secondly accessibility has nothing to do with anything I'm arguing about, what I described is the basic template for a skill based game, easier for more skilled players and harder for less skilled players. That's what you would expect from a game that takes skill.
My example didn't include how hard it would be for a non-skilled player to ascend to a skill rank because it was a response to "You see, if it's easier to hit a target, then it's more difficult to avoid being hit, and vise versa", explaining it's invalidity.

Though a "soft limit" with diminishing returns is feasible in games with little depth (as TheMaster explained), you're still never going to hit a "hard limit."

You can call it a soft limit or a hard limit but the point is there is a limit.
I've been arguing this since the beginning.

On top of that, if the results of every gunfight can be determined by the flip of a coin, then that game doesn't even take skill to begin with.

Total randomness wasn't apart of my game C analogy,
You need to pay attention, I get tired of repeating myself everytime you can't keep up.

"Say for instance that we have game C, and lets also say in game C the developers thought it would be a good idea to make the guns take around 2 to 5 seconds to kill provided they are being aimed at a player and the mouse is being clicked.
No matter how good your aim is, how smart you are, or how developed your game sense is in this scenario you'll never be able to neutralize a player within under 2 seconds and you'll never be able to get around the games random variables such as whom happens to see's who first and whether the game chooses to kill your opponent or have your opponent kill you in 2 to 5 seconds, 2 to 4 seconds iff the crosshair is at the head.
And when dealing with people whom take it upon themselves to get professionally enamored with a game, take the time to learn the maps, and practice their aim daily, you'll get a lot of people to bang their heads against that ceiling. Everyone will use great game sense, everyone will be able to aim at you almost instantaneously, but only the person in the games favor will win.
There's a bubble where every player whom has been playing for over a certain amount of time gets lumped into and the player whom comes out victorious wins the crown of divide lucky circumstance."

Let's explain this another way.
Say you have 4 players, 2 games and 2 maps;
2 players are going to play the first game (which we will refer to as game A), and 2 the latter game (game B). In game A the mechanics make it so that as soon as a player aims their gun at the other player and clicks the first bullet effectively goes straight to where the crosshair is pointing, effectively killing the other player whilst in game B if your crosshair is at the opponent it kills the player instantly within a randomly chosen time up to 4 seconds.

The 2 players in each game are going to be playing on a perfectly symmetrical map on both sides; and for the sake of the argument we will assume that both players are of the same skill and use the same tactics, the only difference between whom we'll call player X and Y is that player X aims slightly faster than player Y (we'll give it a second).

In game A no matter what player X will win as long as the player has a faster aim and trigger finger than player Y, and we can disregard the skill ceiling all together. (There would still effectively be one due to server latency, human flaw and other factors but we'll hold that bone for now).

In game B however you hit an issue as the game becomes more about luck in such a scenario than skill. Player X aims his gun at player Y a second before player Y does the same. That gives player X 4 seconds the game can randomly decide to let him win the firefight and player Y has 3 seconds which gives player X a little over half a chance of winning.
Not nearly the same insurance as given in game A and it only continues to approach 50% as player Y and player X get closer to each other in aiming skill. Effectively creating a wall in the game, you can get better but it won't help you.

This effect can be found in a less obvious extent in games with weapons that have random recoil, bullet spread or real time projectile calculations, and also can be found in games where external factors come into play to help the player such as connectivity or perks.
There will always be a "hard limit", it's just where and when you'll hit it.


BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 20:13:03 Reply

At 2/8/13 03:24 AM, Nithael wrote:
At 2/6/13 02:34 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:44 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:

Christ, that's a lot of text. Never heard of TL;DR before?

You COMPLETELY misunderstand the point of the gaming industry, as do most of the major gaming companies, and Activision in particular. The fucking point of games is ENTERTAINMENT.

That's the point I was trying to make. Games are entertainment, and it so happens that a lot of them happed to play COD because they find it entertaining. That's not the whole thing, but it's certainly is the biggest part.

The fact that these degenerate fucktards we call publishers are trying to make it about money is honestly infuriating beyond all measure. Im not saying that my opinion is absolute and infallible, nor am I saying CoD is generally bad because its been rehashed over and over, but the fact is they dont listen to their players and they put less and less effort into their games as time has gone on.

First off, you're wrong about not listening to the players, otherwise we still have that Nuke from MW2 after a certain killstreak or the spamming of grenades in the same game. In fact, most publishers worth their salt actually do listen to their customers, otherwise it's going to be the same game over and over again with the same problems, which you people bitch about. You may not notice it, but it's there, you just need to look harder.

The reason people LOVE Valve is because they DO listen to their players, and infact release their games into an extremely early open beta stage(despite the fact that they refuse to call it beta) purely so that more of their community can join in and have a voice in the development of the game.

Guess what, so does most others. And don't give me that crap that the community actually has any more of a say so than than any other game company, because I'm fairly sure that Valve wants to make what's in their games long before the beta. It would've have been so great if their games didn't need a half-baked episodes with a cliffhanger, or a game that is loaded with pointless mods.

Perhaps the gaming industry isnt dying, but the entertainment industry is because of firms like Activision, who care more about money than they do about the fucking purpose of games.

You can't say that with 100% certainty, much less with any creditability. They cater to their fanbases with their games, and a lot of people happen to enjoy them, just because you don't. Also remember that they are a for-profit company, and if they don't make money, it's hard to do anything else that's not their bread and butter.

People love Valve because Valve has still not forgotten where they came from, they havent forgotten that without their players the would be NOTHING, and as such they not only develop their own games, but also bring in small time developers like the developers of Alien Swarm, Firearms, WANTED and a whole fuckton of other games, including FLASH GAMES like Kingdom Rush.

And that makes them better? I greatly doubt that, especially since they love to stick to one genre of games and Portal, and we haven't seen them do much of anything beyond that. As for all those small time developers, that's all great and all, but it's only as great as the games they make, and the games range from average to good, but never great. There's a reason why most other game companies prefer professionals.

Ever heard of Steam Greenlight?

Yes, and it's largely nothing more than a bunch of crappy games by people who think they're special when it comes to developing games. Sure, there may be some good ones out there, and I'm sure that they will be noticed and picked up by whoever, but it's not the only way to get a job in the game development industry, and most developers worth their salt know this.

Thats going to be the rise of the next generation of game developers, and Valve is going to be ushering them in regardless of what you think of them. Even if they dont bend to my will or anyones will, if the gaming companies dont bend to their communities will they wont have one left when this era of gaming passes.

The era of gaming is not going anywhere, and this Steam Greenlight is a small avenue for game developers, compared to the more respected and traditional ways of game development. Publishers/developers know what they're doing when it comes to making games for a certain market, because it's what the people want, and just because you disagree with what they do, doesn't mean you have all the answers.

We really need to stop dick-riding Valve like they are the the golden goose of development, just because they like to do things differently than everyone else. Not to mention, their body of work is only slightly above average at best, and in my book, that's not worth of all the hype and fluster that people think it is. I don't care what anyone says because it's all subjective in the end, but I'm not going to be an ass-kisser to Valve for the reasons I'd just stated.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 20:49:44 Reply

Because of their Internet connection


The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 21:04:27 Reply

Oh boy, RWG has returned to miraculously getting into arguments everywhere. Somebody get the popcorn ready.

naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 21:57:50 Reply

At 2/8/13 09:13 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Hey, way to delete almost all of my post. You still haven't responded to my Dark Souls point, nor to the vast majority of my points in general. Seriously, it feels like your whole fucking post was nothing more than you stroking your own ego.
DARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSO ULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDARKSOULSDAR

That may be because half your post was ignorable.
When you aren't breaking up quotes and grammatically jerking yourself off you're reiterating dead points and points already proven invalid by the very argument we're having.

I already told you were talking about competitive multiplayer games and to leave single player games out of it. Especially when you're only using it to compare it to Skyrim and not highlight the PvP. Yet you either have trouble reading or are ignoring me and continuing to slurp in my ear-hole about Skyrim and Dark Souls.
I told you accessibility has no bearence on my argument. Yet you still reach for that non-existent foot hold.

I'm not going to expend more energy than I need to disproving and highlighting your stupid shit, especially when most your posts are topped off with the stuff.

But for fun lets entertain this most recent post so I can at least attempt to get you to understand.

That's what you would expect from a game that takes skill.
All. Competitive. Multiplayer. Games. Take. Skill.

As a result of breaking up the text where it isn't supposed to be broken up you completely miss the point of this quote.

"Secondly accessibility has nothing to do with anything I'm arguing about, what I described is the basic template for a skill based game, easier for more skilled players and harder for less skilled players. That's what you would expect from a game that takes skill."

You never explained jack shit. It's still harder to avoid being hit by a more accurate gun, and you still have not addressed that.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I redirect you to this quote for a post I made about fucking today
"As a consequence of the guns being harder to hit things with for the lesser skilled players and the guns being easier to hit things with for the skilled players, it creates an environment by default where the skilled players would both be in more of a position to avoid being shot due to the lesser skilled players lack of marksmanship, and in more of a position to kill due to their superior aiming and weapon handling skill."

Yes, it fucking was. You argued that every gunfight came down to who got 2 seconds, and who got 5 seconds. You even said that the player who "comes out victorious wins the crown of divide (divine) lucky circumstance."
That sounds like total randomness to me.

Then that's nobodies fault but your own.
In my analogy of game C, I purposed it as a game that takes skill up to a point, and then randomness takes over.
Illustrating what I've been trying to get you to understand a SKILL CEILING.

Also you apparently cannot read, because I didn't say that every gunfight came down to who got 2 or 5 seconds. (I'm not even really sure you got what I was saying at all)

"Say for instance that we have game C, and lets also say in game C the developers thought it would be a good idea to make the guns take around 2 to 5 seconds to kill provided they are being aimed at a player and the mouse is being clicked."

B Your hypothetical game still doesn't exist. Even less so than before, in fact.

OF COURSE MY HYPOTHETICAL GAME DOESN'T EXIST, IT'S AN EXAMPLE. And I've already told you where skill ceiling effects similar to this game can be found.

If you don't want me to ignore half your post, THEN MAKE VALID POINTS AND OR ARGUMENTS HALF THE TIME.


BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-08 22:50:55 Reply

So why is this thread still open?

naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-09 10:19:38 Reply

At 2/9/13 12:20 AM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 2/8/13 09:57 PM, naronic wrote:
When you're ready to play ball like a big boy, you will actually answer my fucking question:

"You assert that 'skill based' means that a game is easier for superior players and harder for lesser players, so how do you explain the fact that the more skill-based single player games (such as Dark Souls) are harder for all players, and not just for the lesser ones?"

Christ you are retarded.
Single player games had and still have no place in the discussion from the beginning.
PvP was what our discussion was about.

Since you're quitting, as not uncommon, I should leave you with the fact that you have no talent whatsoever debating or arguing anything. You lack the intelligence to understand the most basic example I put in front of you and to respond meaningfully and you always seem to try to take the highroad without listening to anybody.
Quit while you are far behind.


BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-09 12:30:35 Reply

At 2/9/13 11:49 AM, Protagonist wrote: Damn I fell out of the loop. But I'm pretty sure based on Naronic's credibility I can just assume I'm right. No way I'm reading 20 paragraphs of I'M RIGHT AND HERE'S MY TOTALLY "UNBIASED" OPINION".

My credibility on what?
You can't just assume you're right after skipping an entire argument and making a value judgement based on whether someone agrees with you or not.

Read my response to your post and stop acting like your confirmation bias grants you any sort of lazy judgement you think op.


BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-09 13:52:46 Reply

At 2/9/13 12:30 PM, naronic wrote:
At 2/9/13 11:49 AM, Protagonist wrote: Damn I fell out of the loop. But I'm pretty sure based on Naronic's credibility I can just assume I'm right. No way I'm reading 20 paragraphs of I'M RIGHT AND HERE'S MY TOTALLY "UNBIASED" OPINION".

Ya your not the only one


The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Pink-Ninja
Pink-Ninja
  • Member since: May. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-09 16:17:02 Reply

I stopped playing COD after Black Ops. I did buy MW3 and completed the campaign but I barely touched the multiplayer. The reason I got bored of it was because the story lines got so over the top they were like a 80's action movie. The multiplayer is way to easy and just doesn't challenge the player, not to mention the endless amount of pre-teen halfwits who scream, sing and dribble down their microphone. It's boring, over rated and seems to be little more than a kids game.


*Sshhh... I'm an NSA spy bot

BBS Signature
kisame
kisame
  • Member since: May. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-11 01:39:42 Reply

My god this topic has fucking disintergrated.


Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-12 05:32:31 Reply

At 2/11/13 01:39 AM, kisame wrote: My god this topic has fucking disintergrated.

Its been 5 pages. Im amazed that it didnt fall apart earlier.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

soviethero
soviethero
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-12 10:03:26 Reply

At 2/3/13 09:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: sure, there have been rehashes in the series, but 4 is a great game, and they're all fun games, plus, the guys who make/publish the series aren't the only ones to do this. Almost every other company like Valve does it too.

not everyone hates cod where im from everyone thinks its the greatest game ever made i like world at war
if you go to my profile and look at my picture you will see viktor reznov and my normal icon is vladimir makarov form modern warfare series

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Reader
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-12 11:05:49 Reply

I played Call of Duty 3, World at War, and Modern Warfare 1 and thought they were good. I played Modern Warfare 2 and just didn't like it as much. I guess I liked the WW2 versions more. So, I'm not going to say it is the worst thing ever made on the planet.

I just dislike how everybody I go to school or hang out with talks only about that game and no other game. Every conversation about games is just about COD and nothing else. I mean, there are plenty of other games that are worth having a discussion about. Good or bad


"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-13 00:36:55 Reply

I hate how they keep releasing new editions all the time.

I think you've pretty much perfected shooting arabs.

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-13 03:14:52 Reply

I personally have fun playing CoD with my friends, and I think people who say it requires NO skill probably don't win very often ;) However, the cons are very easy to list:

Obvious cash-grabbing rehashes
Technically undeserved yet continually existent popularity
Immature and thoughtlessly defensive fanbase

This is simply a bad combination of cons that I find very understandable to be upset over, especially if you care about video games and consider yourself somewhat of an authority on what makes a game good. Me, I just play games for the fun of playing, and CoD works fine for that, especially since my friends enjoy playing it as well, which is something that I bet a LOT of people would say about CoD.

There are, of course, probably more cons that could be listed, but those are the main three that I have observed.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-13 05:59:46 Reply

At 2/8/13 08:13 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/8/13 03:24 AM, Nithael wrote:
At 2/6/13 02:34 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:44 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:
Christ, that's a lot of text. Never heard of TL;DR before?

You COMPLETELY misunderstand the point of the gaming industry, as do most of the major gaming companies, and Activision in particular. The fucking point of games is ENTERTAINMENT.
That's the point I was trying to make. Games are entertainment, and it so happens that a lot of them happed to play COD because they find it entertaining. That's not the whole thing, but it's certainly is the biggest part.

The fact that these degenerate fucktards we call publishers are trying to make it about money is honestly infuriating beyond all measure. Im not saying that my opinion is absolute and infallible, nor am I saying CoD is generally bad because its been rehashed over and over, but the fact is they dont listen to their players and they put less and less effort into their games as time has gone on.
First off, you're wrong about not listening to the players, otherwise we still have that Nuke from MW2 after a certain killstreak or the spamming of grenades in the same game. In fact, most publishers worth their salt actually do listen to their customers, otherwise it's going to be the same game over and over again with the same problems, which you people bitch about. You may not notice it, but it's there, you just need to look harder.

The reason people LOVE Valve is because they DO listen to their players, and infact release their games into an extremely early open beta stage(despite the fact that they refuse to call it beta) purely so that more of their community can join in and have a voice in the development of the game.

Guess what, so does most others. And don't give me that crap that the community actually has any more of a say so than than any other game company, because I'm fairly sure that Valve wants to make what's in their games long before the beta. It would've have been so great if their games didn't need a half-baked episodes with a cliffhanger, or a game that is loaded with pointless mods.

Perhaps the gaming industry isnt dying, but the entertainment industry is because of firms like Activision, who care more about money than they do about the fucking purpose of games.
You can't say that with 100% certainty, much less with any creditability. They cater to their fanbases with their games, and a lot of people happen to enjoy them, just because you don't. Also remember that they are a for-profit company, and if they don't make money, it's hard to do anything else that's not their bread and butter.

People love Valve because Valve has still not forgotten where they came from, they havent forgotten that without their players the would be NOTHING, and as such they not only develop their own games, but also bring in small time developers like the developers of Alien Swarm, Firearms, WANTED and a whole fuckton of other games, including FLASH GAMES like Kingdom Rush.
And that makes them better? I greatly doubt that, especially since they love to stick to one genre of games and Portal, and we haven't seen them do much of anything beyond that. As for all those small time developers, that's all great and all, but it's only as great as the games they make, and the games range from average to good, but never great. There's a reason why most other game companies prefer professionals.

Ever heard of Steam Greenlight?
Yes, and it's largely nothing more than a bunch of crappy games by people who think they're special when it comes to developing games. Sure, there may be some good ones out there, and I'm sure that they will be noticed and picked up by whoever, but it's not the only way to get a job in the game development industry, and most developers worth their salt know this.

Thats going to be the rise of the next generation of game developers, and Valve is going to be ushering them in regardless of what you think of them. Even if they dont bend to my will or anyones will, if the gaming companies dont bend to their communities will they wont have one left when this era of gaming passes.
The era of gaming is not going anywhere, and this Steam Greenlight is a small avenue for game developers, compared to the more respected and traditional ways of game development. Publishers/developers know what they're doing when it comes to making games for a certain market, because it's what the people want, and just because you disagree with what they do, doesn't mean you have all the answers.

We really need to stop dick-riding Valve like they are the the golden goose of development, just because they like to do things differently than everyone else. Not to mention, their body of work is only slightly above average at best, and in my book, that's not worth of all the hype and fluster that people think it is. I don't care what anyone says because it's all subjective in the end, but I'm not going to be an ass-kisser to Valve for the reasons I'd just stated.

First off, yeah this era of gaming IS going to pass, as do all things. Its a well known fact that regardless of what it is, regardless of how well it is recieved by the public, it WILL pass and be replaced by something else, might not be today, might not be in a decade, but its going to happen. Secondly, the fact that they do things diffrently is the REASON they are one of the best within the gaming scene. They care far more about how much the community likes a game than how much they get payed for it and how much money they used for it, which is why Greenlight exists in the first place. So it has alot of mediocre games, how is that unexpected? Go to ANY game store, you will basically see the exact same thing. With the amount of people developing games, you would have to be an idiot not to expect truckloads of dirt and only a handful of gems.
Yeah of course they would stick to their own genre of games. They hire OTHER developers to make games, and then publish them, giving the small time developers a chance to get their material seen, and perhaps even gain a foothold within game development.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-13 06:32:51 Reply

Obviously its not the only way to get into the industry, theres always another way, always an alternate path to the one you see first, but most of them involve spending a fortune or getting someone to invest in you, and for the most part investors tend to make it more about themselves than the game or you. Greenlight provides an alternate route to investment and also lets small-time developers accumulate more experience within the buisness before they truly make the step into developing rather than gambling and just hoping your game is well recieved lest all your time and money be wasted. Not to mention it must feel good to have such an experienced team of developers at your back ready and willing to help you with any problem you could possibly have. Just look at Icefrog, hes currently working for Valve on Dota 2, yet they still allow him to develop the original Warcraft 3 mod and release new updates for that map, rather than restricting him to making them more money. Not only that, but they also allow him full control of the mod, giving him free reign to do whatever he wants and actually let him bring his old team with him. (granted that consists of like two other people but you get the point) And ontop of that, at his request they are giving it out for free, only taking payment for vanity items and such so as to not completely deny them a profit, and still let Icefrog maintain his original idea.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-14 14:46:14 Reply

Also, One of the most well recieved arcade games of all time.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-15 17:43:24 Reply

I was going to agree with naronic and orangebomb since this debate seems quite interesting but shit, I just counted that I own 4 COD games.

The reason why people hate COD is the same reason why majority of human populations hate Justin Bieber.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-15 17:59:55 Reply

I don't hate CoD but after playing CoD4, WAW, MW2, and BO, even though I found them fun, I have lost interest in the series. I'd guess the biggest reason people "hate" CoD is that they were churned out too often which left little room for changes/improvements sufficient to really revamp the gaming experience for the better.


.

BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-18 05:02:07 Reply

At 2/15/13 05:59 PM, chiefindomer wrote: they were churned out too often

Basically the entire thing in a nutshell.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-19 08:03:18 Reply

Oh look, naronic and rightwinggamer are at it again.


It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
EarthboundNinjaGuy
EarthboundNinjaGuy
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-21 02:55:20 Reply

The reason why many people (myself included) are opposed against the CoD franchise is because of how abysmal they are. There is nothing exciting or special about seeing soldiers running around shooting each other in the head. If I wanted to see a war I could watch the 9:00 News. Video games should be about something new and abstract; something that can't be done in real life. Your comparisons to Valve are slightly invalid as their games (such as Half Life and Portal) are fictional and have science fiction elements to them which make them interesting.

streetthugadam3
streetthugadam3
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Reader
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-23 09:30:22 Reply

At 2/3/13 09:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: sure, there have been rehashes in the series, but 4 is a great game, and they're all fun games, plus, the guys who make/publish the series aren't the only ones to do this. Almost every other company like Valve does it too.

do you know about fanboys? thats why people hate it

why do so many people hate CoD

ill
ill
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-23 11:41:39 Reply

I hate it because of the perks and spawn system.


BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Writer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-23 11:52:11 Reply

I only really ever liked the second Call of Duty. Everything after that seemed a little too hyped up for my liking.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD 2013-02-23 22:24:03 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:55 AM, EarthboundNinjaGuy wrote: The reason why many people (myself included) are opposed against the CoD franchise is because of how abysmal they are. There is nothing exciting or special about seeing soldiers running around shooting each other in the head.

Oh really? What I don't get is how COD games are abysmal, but yet most of them are rated highly and are fun to play to a certain extent. It seems like very few people are getting the point, and I'm getting tired of repeating it, just because you don't think it's fun because it's not as "fresh" or "exciting" doesn't mean that the rest of us agree, much less have any creditability.

Innovation =/= great games.

Now did I say that they were perfect? No.
Has the franchise seen better days? Yes.
Is Black Ops II on a level of Rogue Warrior or Big Rigs in terms of quality? Hell no.

If I wanted to see a war I could watch the 9:00 News.

There are so many exaggerations in that statement alone, but I won't go there.

Video games should be about something new and abstract; something that can't be done in real life.

So in other words, something that isn't new or abstract is automatically considered crap? Plus, don't most games do things that we can't do in real life? That argument is flawed right from the start.

Your comparisons to Valve are slightly invalid as their games (such as Half Life and Portal) are fictional and have science fiction elements to them which make them interesting.

Half Life and Portal are far less realistic than COD, quit making comparisons to Valve and COD, because they are two different styles in the same genre, and to say that either Half-Life or Portal is better than COD for whatever it has is completely shortsighted, and at the very least subjective.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature