Be a Supporter!

why do so many people hate CoD

  • 3,791 Views
  • 118 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Sorry Protag, but I think it's completely ridiculous to say Valve games are all generic.

CalebStafford
CalebStafford
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 09:58 PM Reply

I think some people think it's offensive. A guy in my class said that to me. but I don't agree.

why do so many people hate CoD

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 09:26 PM, orangebomb wrote: COD is not Big Rigs Racing, so they're not making crap games ad nauseum. Plus, what difference does challenge and level design make when it's fundamentally the same game?

See Mega Man or Mario. Same games, slightly new mechanics or changes in level design in each one. Actually, that can go for Zelda or almost any other game as well.

The way you bitch and moan about COD is generic does give me vibes of hipster, or simply an ignorant hater. Either way, you're still egotistical in the sense that you offer no solutions to what you think is the problem, and think that challenge and level design is the be all and end all for games.

Oh, "hipster". You internet folks and your memes lol

Look at Halo vs. Call of Duty. Halo offers unique things to FPS'. Call of Duty offers nothing new.

Once again, horrible comparison.

Nah, it's apt. Commercialized, mass produced shlock.

So in other words, it's not innovative or creative, therefore is sucks ass. Words cannot explain that pathetic rationale.

Exactly. Just like any other art form, if it has nothing interesting or engaging to offer, it's crap.

Not every game has to like Fallout 3 or Super Mario Bros. in terms of innovation, in fact the vast majority of games don't fall into those categories, and yet people still love to play them. There is only so much we can do from an innovation standpoint before it gets redundant in any genre, but if the people like it enough, then it will be made.

I'm not saying it has to be like Fallout 3, or Mario. I'm not saying it has to be like "Holy fuck this is AMAZING," but it should at least be interesting or somehow stimulating, don't you think?

Gaming hipsters are way too caught up on the trivial things such as creativity and innovation instead of the actual game itself. Never mind that there was a massive glut of platforming games in the 80's and early 90's, and JRPGs soon after that, and yet people don't complain about that like they do with shooters.

Platformers outside of the classics, like Mario, or Sonic, or Mega Man, are pretty widely hated. JRPG's are as well. Untill Final Fantasy 7

Implying that Treyarch/Infinity Ward are a bunch of lazy fucks who copy and paste the same game every year. Really?

EVERYTHING IS FUCKING BROWN

As for your Mega Man/Mario point, get down to the brass tacks, and they are all the extremely similar in design, and just because the levels are different doesn't mean the core concept hasn't changed. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Hell, you can make the same argument for Pokemon as well.

Pokemon innovates with almost every generation. Breeding mechanics, new pokemon, sometimes new types. Anyway, we're not even talking about core concepts, we're talking about boring takes on core concepts. Not all FPS' suck. CoD does.

Oh yes there is, and most of them consist of hipsters and general haters, don't know where you fit in honestly, but you're in the bandwagon.

So, if it's the biggest selling game of all time, it can't be as hated as you say.

Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon would disagree with that statement, among others. Do you bother doing the research?

Yeah. That's how I know it's the biggest selling game in the US, ever. 13.7 million copies. Also sold 5.6 million in one day, which is the largest entertainment launch ever.

Just like food, if you can't get the gaming meat and potatoes right, then all that creative dressing on the game will be shit, so to speak.

Exactly. And Call of Duty fails at the whole damn meal.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:18 PM Reply

Call of Duty 4 is still one of my favorite games, sort of. I played CoD3 first but didn't think much of it, while CoD4 was like nothing I'd ever played before. The campaign felt real, it had so many memorable moments. It was the first multiplayer game I really got into with it's instant gratification to new players, and I really haven't been as immersed in a shooter since.

When I played World at War I was a bit taken aback since it was pretty much just CoD4 in a WWII skin, and I was never really into WWII games. I found the campaign pretty boring and the multiplayer was more of the same. I hoped MW2 would pull me in again but it just took CoD4, fixed absolutely none of the problems and just threw in a load of shit haphazardly. The campaign just cheapened CoD4. Someone somehow convinced me to buy Black Ops. I didn't like it.

CoD is hated mostly because it's the same thing getting progressively worse and yet each one manages to be more successful than the last. After I lost interest I came to hate it because every developer is taking already established franchises and trying to emulate CoD's success by reducing it to shit in an attempt to appeal the the broadest audience. "We want to capture the CoD audience" has become the death knell of every good series.

Every decent name turns to shit in this industry. Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Splinter Cell, Ultima, Sonic, Hitman, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Fable, C&C, Mega Man, Tony Hawk games, Castlevania. Every one of them, they just keep going until there's nothing left then reboot and go some more. Whether it's the cause or not CoD just happens to be taking the blame lately. A samey sequel doesn't matter as long as it's good, but if it sucks it's CoD's fault. This has just become a fairly shit industry overall and CoD takes the flak for it. People have to blame something.


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 11:08 PM Reply

I don't h8te CoD because it has a simple learning curve, but i despise the "Modern Warfare" versions of CoD.

Treyarch is just soo much better at game development than Inf.Ward because I can actually see the effort they put forth with each new installment unlike Inf.Ward who just repaints a Honda and calls it a Bentley


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

I'm sorry Jackho, but I think it's ridiculous to say that CoD is completely ruining gaming and is 100% responsible for everything wrong with it. And some of those franchises you mentioned aren't even in a downfall anymore (eg. Sonic), assuming they were in one in the first place.

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

Wait, fuck. I just re-read that post and realized that you weren't saying that CoD is responsible for why gaming is supposedly shit nowadays. You're just saying that CoD's a scapegoat. Nevertheless, I still completely disagree with you that all good gaming franchises are in the shitter.

GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

Half-Life, {which are good games, but not revolutionary in any way}

not to sound like a valve tard( i'm not ), but Half Life 1 basically made the bridge from games with simple stories or none at all like Doom, Quake 1, Turok, etc. to stuff liek Halo and other FPS's with huge stores in them.

It was also innovating for things such as Ai that didn't simply charge at you in swarms to provide a challenge (marines) like the imps from Doom did, and it also influenced FPS to be on the more realistic but still sci-fi to the point where it could actually be real, as in Doom and Quake where ammo and health was simply just scattered about randomly, in HL1 it was put mostly into logical places like near dead bodies, cabinits, etc. another cool thing about HL1 that HL2 didn't do was there were a few enemies where you had to use the ENVIRONMENT ITSELF to kill said enemy, which I'm sure influenced future FPS games, I mean, it's just a cool concept, too bad they didn't implement it in HL2.


BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 01:54 AM Reply

"Oh, "hipster". You internet folks and your memes lol"

That was a meme? fuck, i actually used it irl, because I thought it was just a clever insult to use against people who intentionally liked things to be cool, my social life is oveeeeeeeeer. :*(


BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 02:40 AM Reply

"I'm really good at Call of Duty." Well who isn't? The game has a skillcap on the same level as rock paper scissors.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:35 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:04 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: Please stop deluding yourselves by buying in to such idiotic claims.

Why do you even bother, man?


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:38 AM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 2/7/13 04:35 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/7/13 04:04 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: Please stop deluding yourselves by buying in to such idiotic claims.
Why do you even bother, man?
Bother with what?

Half the haters say there's no balance at all and the other half claim it's somehow designed so that absolutely everyone is good at it. It's like they don't even bother thinking of a reason to hate, why would you bother trying to argue with them.


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
fawnret
fawnret
  • Member since: May. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 09:37 AM Reply

I don't really hate the games, they just don't interest me. "Modern" shooters honestly bore the hell out of me and mainly just feel like a big "FUCK YEAH AMERICA," with us heroic americans stopping all the trouble in the world. I can't have a huge opinion on it though since I never buy them and merely know what I know from playing it at friend's houses. The only thing I can comment on is that I think the graphics feel a bit dated and I'm sure the games would be better in public and fan eyes if they would stop with this yearly release thing and take a bit more time with the games.

also I will admit to a grudge because it's the reason my girlfriend never gets to use her xbox. Her father and brother are on it every day playing CoD. I will never understand how anyone can play the same game every day for well over a year.


Gamertag: Catspirit123
home forum

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:38 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: It's cool to hate it because it's popular. Simple as that.

Full disclosure: CoD4 is one of my all-time favorite games, I hated MW2 and MW3, but loved Black Ops, haven't played Black Ops 2.

Or can we hate it because it does nothing to evolve gaming and other gamers get more CoD influenced crap in their games because they think we want it?

Kunera
Kunera
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:34 AM Reply

I don't know if I'd say that I "hate" it, I just never really got into it. I've found most shooters to be boring, to be quite honest.

I was never really into Halo either, for example, though a friend or two can get me to play once in a while. I'm sure that CoD would yield similar results, being "sure, it's fun with a few friends," though this is more of just playing something with friends, there isn't really anything in the game, mechanics or otherwise, that I enjoy. It's just kind of "meh" to me.


Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

Do you honestly believe that everyone is pro at the game?

no

Do you honestly believe that the theoretical "skillcap," wherein a superior player and a lesser player would supposedly be evenly matched, is that easy to achieve? Hell, the mere existence of such a point is shaky enough, but do you honestly think it's so easy to reach?

A skill cap is the theoretical point in a game where it would be futile to try to improve yourself as you would just be blending in with anyone around that general point. Every game has a different skill cap as well as skill floor and skill gap. They can never be truly easy to reach but that ease still varies from game to game.

For instance say you have game A and game B,
they're both shooters and in both shooters you die just by getting shot once in the head. The only difference is the average amount of recoil you're expected to deal with in game A rather than game B.

By common sense game A has a higher skill ceiling, skill floor and bigger skill gap since only skilled players could handle the recoil that would allow them to achieve this instakill headshot that less skilled players cannot.

Now of course the actual state of affairs varying from game to game is much more complex than this, but to deny the existence of differing skill gaps, ceilings, and floors in games is a futile effort.

Seriously, just look up one of a plethora of gameplay videos, and you will see VERY clearly that there is a very uneven score disparity amongst the majority of the players. If the "skillcap" argument even had a sliver of truth to it, then the disparity would be alot lower.

I could tell you to do that with practically every game.
Watch this skilled player kill a whole team in Quake
Watch a whole team fall in CSS

Telling us to look up the K/D's some people achieve on gameplay video's as a way to disprove a very obvious point is not valid, and doesn't kill this argument.


BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 05:19 PM, Protagonist wrote: ITT: people act like valve shits gold

Valve games are horrible, and just as generic as COD.

Lol...


BBS Signature
Megaphonic
Megaphonic
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Bcuz we R tired of shoot.


SemiPro!

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:46 PM, Protagonist wrote: I'm shitting on a mediocre developer that gets praised up the ass for no reason

They're praised because people like their games. How hard is that to understand?

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 05:48 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 05:25 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: However, there is never a point in a game where getting better is "futile" or "impossible." Not in a competitive multiplayer game, anyway.

The point is that once you reach a skill ceiling there are diminishing returns in how much better you get vs how much time you put in. Yes, you'll play slightly better as you get more familiar with the maps and such, but there's not going to be a point where you take another huge step and become a noticeably better player like you would after say, mastering rocket jumping or learning to consistently land airshots.

A higher skill ceiling means it will take more effort or more time to reach the top level of play. Implying it doesn't exist in video games is like implying it's as easy to become a top chess player as it is to become really good at Guess Who.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 06:11 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: If you can always get a little better, then there is no hard limit. So calling it a "ceiling" is still ridiculous.

You're arguing semantics. There is a skill level in any game where a large time and effort investment no longer leads to large increases in skill. This point is reached more easily in some games than others. This is called a skill ceiling. I don't understand how you can dispute this.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 05:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 2/7/13 05:05 PM, naronic wrote:
Care to prove your statement instead of acting smug for no reason? It's easy to brush something off and "laugh", but it just makes you look stupid.

How can I prove the statement "lol"?
It's an expression that I simply find your quote to be funny.
But if you really want this then-

Hardly any valve games can be categorized as generic IMO, anyone whom purports that all or most valve games are generic are free to have that opinion but are also free to know that I can't take them seriously.

First of all almost every single major fps valve has brought something to the table that hasn't been done or attempted before, and revolutionized their respective genre's as a result.

Before Half life 1, any video game story that you would come across existed in a vacuum-sealed bag piggybacked on the game itself. You had games that would drown you in exposition (I.E japanese rpgs, classical adventure games) or games that would give you a light touch of setting, motivation, and character and nothing else for the entire rest of the game (Doom, Quake era shooters).

Half life was the first shooter (and game) that took a crack at the genesis of story and gameplay. A game where you could either not give a crap about the story, or become intrigued in it. A game where just the act of playing or listening to NPC's whilst playing could give you exposition, and Half life also did this so extremely well with the proper pacing and tension at just the proper times, and a complementary difficulty curve, it redefined what it means for a video game to have a story.

This all on top of the major graphical and technical leaps Valve made with friendly NPC characters and skeletal animation makes this game anything but generic. There was NOTHING like it at the time, hell I even played it about 3 months ago and still completed it in one evening fulfilled.

Half life 2 revolutionized the genre even more with the gravity gun, making physics a major asset to game play in a way nobody thought of before on top of keeping up the top notch pacing most games strive for, making enormous graphical leaps and having actual characters I cared for in the process.

And keep in mind that in both of these games, all this is accomplished without the player ever leaving or cutting away from the perspective of the character or the environment the character is in.

VERY few games can boast that.

On top of being generally on top of things Valve also has a very strong keen foresight. There are no bosses at Valve emphasizing the individual and group in the work place and making collaboration and consumer visibility easy.

Hiring modders is no surprise today, lots of indie developers get noticed for what they bring to the table, but it's something Valve started. Realizing in the 90's that a lot of modders had a lot more potential or talent than some college graduates at the time they made the decisive decision to fish from that pond early on, which raked them in A LOT of talent such as the CSS, Portal and TF2 developers.

Developers that made games that were the first of their time such as Counter Strike, the first generation that set the stage for realistic tactical multiplayer shooters;
Portal, a game that was only supposed to be an addon to the Orange Box bundle pack but ended up being so famous it generated a meme out of itself and a long standing fanbase all out of an original idea, concept, and story homogenized beautifully together;
And TF2, a game that took a rather unoriginal concept, added beautiful art design, accessible gameplay, and heavily balanced classes and maps to ascend all multiplayer shooters in longevity from it's time.

L4D is what I consider the embodiment of the perfect coop zombie shooter with it's only major flaw to be relying almost exclusively on multiplayer.

So yes I think Valve is a great company


BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 05:25 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 2/7/13 11:35 AM, naronic wrote:
You could argue that it's less accessible than game B, but to argue that game B has a lower "skill cap" is to be willfully ignorant of what competitive multiplayer actually is.
You see, if it's easier to hit a target, then it's more difficult to avoid being hit, and vise versa. The same logic applies to every other game mechanic you can imagine. Tweaking it on one end has an opposite effect on the other end.

If it's easier to hit the target then it will be both easier to hit the target and difficult to dodge in game B, but the skill is not measured by how well you can dodge.
I could just as well say that in game A if it's harder to hit the target for unskilled players (the target being a skilled player) it would be both easier to dodge and hit the target for the more skilled player whilst being harder to dodge and harder to hit the target for the player with less skill and finesse. It all works together to create a harder game for the lesser skilled player and an easier game for the player with more skill, hence a higher skill requirement.

It's when no process of improvement for the skilled player gets him above a bar of effectiveness no matter what that we can say the skill cap has been hit.
Say for instance that we have game C, and lets also say in game C the developers thought it would be a good idea to make the guns take around 2 to 5 seconds to kill provided they are being aimed at a player and the mouse is being clicked.

No matter how good your aim is, how smart you are, or how developed your game sense is in this scenario you'll never be able to neutralize a player within under 2 seconds and you'll never be able to get around the games random variables such as whom happens to see's who first and whether the game chooses to kill your opponent or have your opponent kill you in 2 to 5 seconds, 2 to 4 seconds iff the crosshair is at the head.
And when dealing with people whom take it upon themselves to get professionally enamored with a game, take the time to learn the maps, and practice their aim daily, you'll get a lot of people to bang their heads against that ceiling. Everyone will use great game sense, everyone will be able to aim at you almost instantaneously, but only the person in the games favor will win.
There's a bubble where every player whom has been playing for over a certain amount of time gets lumped into and the player whom comes out victorious wins the crown of divide lucky circumstance.

To give COD a break I don't really believe it's skill gap or skill ceiling for that matter is down there with tying your shoe laces but it has nothing to boast about in that department. When you factor in the situational awareness you need to have on some of the cluttered maps it's skill bar falls in line with Halo.


BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 08:15 PM, naronic wrote:
At 2/7/13 05:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 2/7/13 05:05 PM, naronic wrote:

More Valve worship, this is going to be fun.

Hardly any valve games can be categorized as generic IMO, anyone whom purports that all or most valve games are generic are free to have that opinion but are also free to know that I can't take them seriously.

Without going into much detail, that statement is purely subjective. Plus, if you can't take any opposing opinion seriously, then I should take what you say with a huge grain of salt then.

On top of being generally on top of things

Not really. Maybe on PC games and Steam, I'll grant you that much, but they have a history of screwing over console gamers over and over again, never mind the lack of forethought of making proper sequels beyond the number 2.

Valve also has a very strong keen foresight. There are no bosses at Valve emphasizing the individual and group in the work place and making collaboration and consumer visibility easy.

How they do business at Valve is none of my concern, but that doesn't mean their way is better than everyone else's.

Hiring modders is no surprise today, lots of indie developers get noticed for what they bring to the table, but it's something Valve started.

That's generally why they have avoided going towards proper sequels in their games, which is a cop out in itself. Plus, most of those mods range from mediocre to awful, and yet they seem to be in love doing this because they know that Valve worshipers and hipsters eat that up.

Realizing in the 90's that a lot of modders had a lot more potential or talent than some college graduates at the time they made the decisive decision to fish from that pond early on, which raked them in A LOT of talent such as the CSS, Portal and TF2 developers.

Yep, they made a bunch of overrated games that is popular with hipsters and the very same people that clog the COD multiplayer. They're not going to get a cookie from me, just because they decided to hire modders for their games, especially when those games aren't as great as people claim it to be.

Developers that made games that were the first of their time such as Counter Strike, the first generation that set the stage for realistic tactical multiplayer shooters;

That may be true, but guess what? Just about everyone else made realistic shooters better soon after that, and Counter Strike couldn't catch up.

Portal, a game that was only supposed to be an addon to the Orange Box bundle pack but ended up being so famous it generated a meme out of itself and a long standing fanbase all out of an original idea, concept, and story homogenized beautifully together;

An overrated first person puzzle game that is known more for silly memes and one-liners than anything else. As for the concept and story, it's been done long before, Portal simply expanded on it.

So yes I think Valve is a great company

Really? Valve is probably the most overrated company out there. Their body of work is good, but we make them out to be like they are the gods of game development, and every company should follow their lead. As I said, their games are mostly decent, but they aren't revolutionary just because they put their spin on the only genre that they touch, {except for Portal} and if anything, this largely speaks to their arrogance, because people put them on so high of a pedestal, that anything slapped with the Valve name on it will be enjoyed by said fans, even LFD2.

Just because they do things different than everyone else doesn't make them any more special or cool, especially since their body of work isn't as good as most people think.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 11:00 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/7/13 08:15 PM, naronic wrote:
At 2/7/13 05:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 2/7/13 05:05 PM, naronic wrote:
Not really. Maybe on PC games and Steam, I'll grant you that much, but they have a history of screwing over console gamers over and over again, never mind the lack of forethought of making proper sequels beyond the number 2.

Give me an example of them screwing console gamers over

That may be true, but guess what? Just about everyone else made realistic shooters better soon after that, and Counter Strike couldn't catch up.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Yep, they made a bunch of overrated games that is popular with hipsters and the very same people that clog the COD multiplayer. They're not going to get a cookie from me, just because they decided to hire modders for their games, especially when those games aren't as great as people claim it to be.
An overrated first person puzzle game

I disagree, and what do you mean "popular with hipsters"?
Games like Portal, CSS, L4D and TF2 are popular world wide in many facets of the media.

An overrated first person puzzle game that is known more for silly memes and one-liners than anything else. As for the concept and story, it's been done long before, Portal simply expanded on it.

an example please.

As I said, their games are mostly decent, but they aren't revolutionary just because they put their spin on the only genre that they touch, {except for Portal} and if anything, this largely speaks to their arrogance, because people put them on so high of a pedestal, that anything slapped with the Valve name on it will be enjoyed by said fans, even LFD2.

Once again this statement doesn't hold water for me, and neither does this entire post.
You're free to have your opinion but you have to know your opinion exists in a vacuum until you can air it out with a convincing argument outside of "THERE RETARDED AND GAMEZ NOT GUUD".
IMO valve has revolutionized quite a few things quite a few times to earn a good label.
Half life's technology and philosophy wasn't a "spin" on the fps genre, because before half life the genre had never seen or experimented with anything like it.
The only thing in your post remotely agreeable is the fact that Valve can't seem to count past 2, otherwise you either barely or didn't respond to a single thing in my post to invalidate it.


BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 03:24 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 02:34 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:44 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/6/13 01:19 PM, Protagonist wrote: it certainly doesn't harm the industry
Yes it does.
How? COD isn't the only franchise that is milked to this extent, and yet COD is pretty much the only game franchise that gets crucified for this. Remember Mega Man, with their constant sequels and the MMX series as well? It was virtually the same game with every sequel, and yet no one bitched about that then, I do sense a double standard.

Also, the game industry is a billon dollar business, with plenty of franchises out there. It's not harming the industry, it's only harming your ego.

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm saying that's how it is. It's how it's always going to be too. Also, COD is far from crap. It's just aimed at a more simplistic audience, but like most things unfortunately, those people happen to be asses.
That doesn't change that it's...nothing. It's fluff.
To you it is. Just because it's targeted towards a mass audience doesn't mean it's all bad, especially since there are a lot of worse games that get a lot of attention and fans, and you don't hear anyone whine about that. As for the fanbase, that's to be expected when you deal with the lowest common denominator, but I'm fairly sure that knew that when taking that risk, hate to say it, but it is what it is, a business.

CoD doesn't have good gameplay either. It's not even the best FPS, as it lacks creativity, or innovation
Now I know you're smoking something. Just because it lacks "creativity" or "innovation" doesn't mean it's bad from a gameplay standpoint. What in the hell were you expecting with COD in the first place? I assume that you either didn't play the games, or not enough to make a proper judgement, and hopped on the hate bandwagon.

Just because it sells, does not make it good. By that measure, I suppose Justin Bieber is good too, huh? Because he sells a lot?
That's a piss-poor comparison. Everybody knows that Justin Bieber is mediocre to horrible, but he's targeted to a different demographic. Plus, Bieber is a pop phenom that only lasts a short time, like the vast majority of pop acts, whereas COD is a long standing franchise, because most of the games are actually good, contrary to what you think.

Ok, you don't like COD, that's fine and dandy, but you only accuse COD of being the same thing, when there are other franchises do just that, and aren't as good as COD. Quit your empty bitching, and play what you want to play, because the game industry is not dying, and will not bend to dumbass hipsters to get what they want, and that's a fact.

You COMPLETELY misunderstand the point of the gaming industry, as do most of the major gaming companies, and Activision in particular. The fucking point of games is ENTERTAINMENT. The fact that these degenerate fucktards we call publishers are trying to make it about money is honestly infuriating beyond all measure. Im not saying that my opinion is absolute and infallible, nor am I saying CoD is generally bad because its been rehashed over and over, but the fact is they dont listen to their players and they put less and less effort into their games as time has gone on. The reason people LOVE Valve is because they DO listen to their players, and infact release their games into an extremely early open beta stage(despite the fact that they refuse to call it beta) purely so that more of their community can join in and have a voice in the development of the game. Perhaps the gaming industry isnt dying, but the entertainment industry is because of firms like Activision, who care more about money than they do about the fucking purpose of games. People love Valve because Valve has still not forgotten where they came from, they havent forgotten that without their players the would be NOTHING, and as such they not only develop their own games, but also bring in small time developers like the developers of Alien Swarm, Firearms, WANTED and a whole fuckton of other games, including FLASH GAMES like Kingdom Rush. Ever heard of Steam Greenlight? Thats going to be the rise of the next generation of game developers, and Valve is going to be ushering them in regardless of what you think of them. Even if they dont bend to my will or anyones will, if the gaming companies dont bend to their communities will they wont have one left when this era of gaming passes.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 03:34 AM Reply


How? COD isn't the only franchise that is milked to this extent, and yet COD is pretty much the only game franchise that gets crucified for this. Remember Mega Man, with their constant sequels and the MMX series as well? It was virtually the same game with every sequel, and yet no one bitched about that then, I do sense a double standard.

Another thing, Mega Man X was "milked" because back it didnt really take that long to make a game like that if you were REALLY good at it. Capcom was fucking godlike at it, and acting upon the will of their consumers to create more of them, obviously keeping the same template since if they didnt it wouldnt be the game people wanted, but also adding more and more features every single game, along with advancing the game feel it had. Mega Man was GODLIKE because Capcom was awesome at theming, they gave you a genuine connection to the hero, and desire to defeat that asshole Vile/Sigma/Wily and take your vengeace for the antagonists previous actions. Remember Vile? Remember how you couldnt even visibly damage him in the beginning? Remember how good it felt to fucking murder his ass after Zero gave his life to defend you, and left his Z-buster thus granting X the power he was meant to have? Yeah.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 04:01 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 05:25 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 2/7/13 11:35 AM, naronic wrote:
Gaps between players, and "Skill floors" (AKA Accessibility with a fancy schmancy name) are definitely there.

Honestly I find "Accessibility" to be "fancier" than "Skill Floors" since that just sounds dumb and I also dont find skill to actually be involved in games.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

lightofdark
lightofdark
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 04:50 AM Reply

Just to put in my 2cents about why I personally dislike CoD these days:

First of all I used to love the call of duty games, they used to be some of my favourite shooters and I was happy to see that after 4 ww2 games that were definitely getting stale they branched out with modern warfare, and thats when my love started waning.

Modern Warfare was new and exciting and although massively overhyped like most fratboy games decent at what it did, then they started bringing out new ones following the same formula they did for the original ww2 games... except slightly different, each of the original ones tended to come with some noticeable advanced be it graphical or storywise. The modern warfare ones however right from the start came out with almost no differences between them at the core and yet the hype built and built. The multiplayer became unplayable for variety of reasons many already mentioned, its not pleasant being squealed at by children or abused by people who think there gods gift to gaming.

And then they released blackops, a AAA fps game that includes a level that you can complete without firing a single non quicktime/custcene event bullet... thats when "its a good fps" started falling majorly appart.

So yeah, these days CoD is popular with certain audiences, just like Halo and Madden games have there faithful followers but for many others it became an overhyped underwhelming mess.

naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 09:36 AM Reply

Translation: Your ability to avoid being shot is not a good measure of skill.

Getting back in the old habit of breaking text up where it's not supposed to be broken I see.

translation (as best I can): In a game with less accurate weapons, better players are able to both dodge and hit targets better than they could in game with more accurate weapons; and the opposite goes for the less skilled players.
Even translated, this still doesn't make any sort of logical sense. You could argue that a superior player is better fit to deal with a disadvantageous mechanic than a lesser player is. However, that still doesn't negate the disadvantage entirely.
Better players are not magically better at shooting with inaccurate guns, and lesser players are not magically better at avoiding fire from accurate guns. It's just silly.

Less accurate would be a red harring, it's also not a term I used in my argument therefore making it a logical fallacy to use it in any sort of counter argument you come up with, a better term would be harder to use or hit targets with.

You also seem to be having trouble putting two and two together, so this is almost when I find bold text necessary when arguing with you.
In game A, where the guns are harder to use, the skilled players whom have practiced with the guns and learned the control them would be able to use them better than non skilled players.
There's no magic going on here, it's basic logic that you can't seem to grasp. Games like Counter Strike have weapons like these.

As a consequence of the guns being harder to hit things with for the lesser skilled players and the guns being easier to hit things with for the skilled players, it creates an environment by default where the skilled players would both be in more of a position to avoid being shot due to the lesser skilled players lack of marksmanship, and in more of a position to kill due to their superior aiming and weapon handling skill.

Though, you'd think a game with a higher skill requirement would be harder for all players, right?
Dark Souls takes more skill than Skyrim, and Battletoads

Let's not derail this conversation, we were taking about multiplayer games, let's continue to do so.

Also no, if it's harder for all players regardless of skill then that means that the players whom have been practicing more aren't being rewarded for their hard work and effort.
It once again comes down to basic logic, more skill should equal to an all around easier game for more skilled players due to the fact that they are up against lesser skilled players.

Translation: You hit the skill cap when you simply can't get any better at a game.
Translation: Basing a game entirely around luck is a bad idea.

Wrong, and I have a question RWG, how do you think you can possibly argue with someone else if you can't even take the time to understand what it is they're trying to say?

So much of this post is wasted with obnoxious bullshit such as claims to incoherence, (which makes me think you either can't read or can't understand basic syntax) and ego wankery, that you either missed half of what I was trying to say in my post or missed all of what I was trying to say in my post.

In a game with a skill cap, no matter how better you get at a game whether it be through aiming or some other channel of advantage you'll always fall around a certain effectiveness in combat, especially when going up against people with the same skill as you.
A skill cap isn't logically impossible, if there's an element of luck to a game you can't get around it naturally gets in the way of effectiveness through skill.

When your only example is a purely hypothetical game that is completely far outside the bounds of what the argument even entails, then you know you're running out of ideas.

How is my analogy "far outside the bounds of what the argument even entails", it entails what we've been arguing about for the past 2 posts.

This post is so poor and rushed the fact that you even think this is slightly detrimental to my argument is an astounding homage to your on going inability to argue even the most basic point.
Almost every single logical leap or fallacy you think I made can be remedied by GOING BACK THROUGH MY POSTS, or taking the time to use YOUR BRAIN to understand the SECTION YOU DECIDED TO QUOTE.
Go back and read my analogy of game C instead of trying to smart ass your way around it.

I can't believe you are honestly too ignorant and/or stupid to follow even a basic sentence such as
"It all works together to create a harder game for the lesser skilled player and an easier game for the player with more skill, hence a higher skill requirement."
A sentence a 10 year old could understand, a sentence a 5 year old could understand.

It all smacks of such a pathetic brand of lame that I can't really put it in words other than "You should quit".


BBS Signature