New Topic Respond to this Topic
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:25 PM Reply

sure, there have been rehashes in the series, but 4 is a great game, and they're all fun games, plus, the guys who make/publish the series aren't the only ones to do this. Almost every other company like Valve does it too.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:35 PM Reply

Valve doesn't do what Activision does. What Valve makes are sequels. What Activision makes are cash grabs.
CoD has as little purpose existing as Madden games. They are all identical, so the only reason we have more than 1 is to leach off peoples wallets.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
chillbro
chillbro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:35 PM, sweet21 wrote: Valve doesn't do what Activision does. What Valve makes are sequels. What Activision makes are cash grabs.
CoD has as little purpose existing as Madden games. They are all identical, so the only reason we have more than 1 is to leach off peoples wallets.

Madden's even worse. It's been doing that for 20 years.

Hello there, I am Dr. Fuck You

HeadbangingLegend
HeadbangingLegend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:45 PM Reply

Oh yeah because Portal 2 was exactly the same as Portal 1 just with some new maps. And Half Life 2 totally didn't add anything new or interesting from the first game. I think the only game that would be an exception here is Left 4 Dead 2. But it still added way more content than any of the CoD sequels ever did.

I used to be a huge fan of CoD, the first Modern Warfare was one of my favorite games ever and then I loved MW2 even more. But by the time MW3 came out I finally realized they were just releasing the same shit. I remember going to my mates to jam MW3 for the first time, and looking at everything saying "OMG this is exactly the same as MW2", and just getting angrier at the game as I played until I hated it, from one sitting.

The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: sure, there have been rehashes in the series, but 4 is a great game, and they're all fun games, plus, the guys who make/publish the series aren't the only ones to do this. Almost every other company like Valve does it too.

You could've game this false statement SOME life time by not using Valve as an example.
If there is anyone whom is NOT like Activision it's Valve.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:35 PM, sweet21 wrote: Valve doesn't do what Activision does. What Valve makes are sequels. What Activision makes are cash grabs.

also, another thing, even though I like the Worms series, almost every new game is just a rehash of the last one, and when they actually do new games there's only 1 or 2 actual new things in them :/

why do so many people hate CoD

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:04 PM Reply

They just feel so generic to me and the gameplay is all revolved around who sees the other person first and I don't think there is any variety or skill in that at all. Honestly, Call of Duty seems like something a smart computer would dream up if you told it to make a video game. If that makes any sense.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:17 PM Reply

It's because of the annoying whining, crying 8 years olds, and the fanboys who are OVER THE TOP obsessed about it.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
You popped her tit!

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

Oh lord, not this comparison again. What Valve and Activision do regarding sequels is similar in a lot of ways, the only difference is that Valve can't make a proper sequel past 2 and Activision loves to milk their main franchise. It's all about what the fans want, and they seem to love COD more so than Valve, and I don't blame them.

Plus, it's not like most sequels aren't expansion packs to begin with if you look deep enough, but you can easily make a difference between the previous game and the sequel.

Apparently, you have never heard of marketing before. If the fans like a certain game, and clamor for a sequel, then they will most likely get it, and the next one, etc. Plus saying that all COD games are identical is inaccurate, especially since they deliver a different experience with a different story. {or part of the story} Just because the core concept hasn't changed, doesn't mean it's the same game.

While we're at it, why don't we bitch about the same problem with cars then, considering that they release a new model every year? Seriously, if you don't like a game/franchise, then quit your bitching about it and let the fans enjoy what they want.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 12:15 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: sure, there have been rehashes in the series, but 4 is a great game, and they're all fun games, plus, the guys who make/publish the series aren't the only ones to do this. Almost every other company like Valve does it too.

No, they just suck. No substance. No rewarding experiences. Not to mention the online community consists of a bunch of annoying 12 year olds. It's a 12 year old's game for 12 year old mentality.

And as an artform, it does nothing. It doesn't innovate, it doesn't create anything new. The music sucks, the art style is shit, the story is shit.

killer32
killer32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 02:17 AM Reply

I kinda agree that cod sucks, most of them do, anyways. For me the rehashing is not the problem, the problem is the gameplay. you would think that after so many games in the series they would start making improvements, but no
after every game it only gets worse. MW3 was awful, no effort was put in to it, everything felt like shit.
really the reason some many people hate cod isn't because of its rehashing but because it is a bad game.
STALKER Clear Sky got away with using the same exact maps from Shadows Of Chernobyl, and you know why it got away with it... Because its a good game.

PS : Black Ops 2 was fun though.

"It makes me feel powerful when I say something so dumb that it halts discussion." - Jester

EisUndStahl
EisUndStahl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:52 AM Reply

Because it's the same fucking thing, over and over again.

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:02 AM Reply

I think people hate the fans more than they actually hate the games. I myself do not fancy playing CoD but I do not hate the games, but some of the fans are just annoying.

"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:05 AM Reply

I don't mind the games, I mean I can have a pretty good time playing CoD with some friends.

It's the community and the way the average online player acts over everything that doesn't go their way that puts the series off to me.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:
360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:22 AM Reply

TL;DR: People legitimately hate CoD because it represents all of the worst, most cynical, pandering, greedy habits of modern game design. But I somehow enjoy playing it anyway.

At 2/4/13 12:15 AM, LemonCrush wrote: No, they just suck. No substance. No rewarding experiences. Not to mention the online community consists of a bunch of annoying 12 year olds. It's a 12 year old's game for 12 year old mentality.

And as an artform, it does nothing. It doesn't innovate, it doesn't create anything new. The music sucks, the art style is shit, the story is shit.

I can't really disagree with any of this, and yet I still play Black Ops 2 online fairly regularly. I dunno, it's addictive.

I think the key to the games' insidious charm is that over time they've become really, really good at constantly dangling a carrot in front of the player. You'll almost never make it through a match without leveling up or unlocking a new attachment or camo for your gun or getting to the next level of some challenge or achievement (which are split into tiers, so the game can always make you feel like you've accomplished something, even when you haven't). Each of these moments is instantaneously marked by a shiny medal at the top of the screen and a loud, badass sound effect. And then after the game you can check your stats to see what the next thing you're close to unlocking is, and of course, you are always close to unlocking something.

Really, it's a similar model to the kind used by most MMOs, only CoD improves on it by ramping up the sense of instant gratification. There's pretty much at least one challenge to complete for everything you can possibly do in the game, but more than that, CoD has distilled the basic visceral *pew pew pew* appeal of the FPS down to its barest, dumbest essence. The lack of substance, innovation, and required skill are actually strengths, because they make the game so simple and fast-paced that anyone can play it and anyone can feel like they're doing something, even when they're playing terribly. Needless to say, this is a fucking horrifying way to go about game design, but I can't help but play anyway, and I have fun doing it.

And then once you hit the level cap (which happens faster with each successive game thanks to XP bonuses from all the aforementioned achievements/challenges and frequent Double XP promotional events) they use all kinds of shiny baubles to encourage you to go into "prestige mode" and start all over again from the beginning, with the only real benefit being unlocking even more achievements and challenges to complete (and I totally did it! What's wrong with me!). It's brilliant and pure evil and I'm shocked that World of Warcraft didn't think of it first.

Why I still buy into it despite knowing all of this is beyond me, let alone these games' arguably icky sociopolitical implications, but whatever. Everyone has their guilty pleasures, and Call of Duty is mine.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Schizopolis (Soderbergh, 1996, USA) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:27 AM Reply

Because they're NOT fun. They're boring, slow and easy, with laughable campaigns and shite multiplayer. Soulless production line titles designed by committee to appeal to the most people and bring in the most money.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 10:18 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: That being said, Black Ops 1 and MW3 had pretty horrid multiplayer. If I ever find the idiot who put stealth bombers and EMPs in the support package, I will beat them to within an inch of their life.

Yo, 2 attack hell's with a napalm strike in between? Sounds like a deal to me!

BBS Signature
Wind0k
Wind0k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Voice Actor
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

I think the real question is why they don't hate it.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:40 AM Reply

It's popular so it sucks.
The Call of Duty community is no worse than any other massively multiplayer online game. It's just gamers think they're superior for hating it.

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:42 AM Reply

I don't necessarily hate it, I just hate the people who play it. That's just because most of the times I ever play multiplayer, which is rare, there are about four twelve year old kids screaming into their microphones accusing people of hacking or cheating or being bullshit and bragging about how great they are at the game.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Star365
Star365
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:07 AM Reply

i mean if i want to sit down and shoot foreigners, i guess CoD is my only real option now.

Eternal bliss

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 07:22 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: TL;DR: People legitimately hate CoD because it represents all of the worst, most cynical, pandering, greedy habits of modern game design. But I somehow enjoy playing it anyway.

I don't know about the most cynical pandering and all that, but considering that this is Activision we're talking about, it is somewhat justified due to the fact that Kotick is still the head man there. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't talk about the fans who actually enjoy the series so much that they're more than willing to wait outside until the launch to buy the game, and if that's what the fans want, then naturally, they will continue to make it.

It's actually nice to see that someone has actually played the game and make a judgement about it instead of a lot of the haters who don't bother to play it and simply cast aspersions on the game because of the title on the front.

wall of text

I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but the problem is that what is there to change about COD? {this is for LemonCrush}

It was pretty clear right from the start that is was designed to be a Hollywood like shooter game, with an emphasis on multiplayer, largely due to the boom on online play. Say what you will about either the glut of Hollywood action movies or video games, the bottom line is that both are driven by fan support, and if the fans happen to like it, then more will be made to satisfy the demand.

With all this follow the leader stuff by developers and studios, then it's natural that some people will complain about staleness and lack of new concepts, which is fine and dandy to a certain point, instead of bitching about how COD is stale, repetitive and so on, these people should just simply enjoy what they want to enjoy, and leave the fans who like COD or whatever to enjoy what they want. It's such a great concept but very few people can seem to understand that.

Simply put, if you don't like a game/franchise for whatever reason, then quit bitching about it and go to something you like. I'm not against criticism of a game/franchise, but maybe you should play the game before making a judgement about the game, and trying to convince others to feel the same way as you do.

BBS Signature
Blitzkrieg667
Blitzkrieg667
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 04:50 PM Reply

CoD is bland and generic and has nothing going for it. It isn't bad so much as it is completely uninspired and I have no idea why it is so popular.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 04:50 PM, Blitzkrieg667 wrote: CoD is bland and generic and has nothing going for it.

Oh because it's supposed to be what it is, a FPS game that puts more emphasis on the multiplayer with a core concept that seems to be popular with the most of the gamers and the fans. Whether it's fair/right or not is irrelevant, especially since we keep talking about it.

It isn't bad so much as it is completely uninspired and I have no idea why it is so popular.

Read statement above. It was clearly designed for fans of the FPS/shooter genre, and who are also fans of the series as well. What part of all this do people not seem to fucking understand?
Does COD appeal to the lowest common denominator for gamers? Yes.
Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:01 AM Reply

I pretty much hate all warfare games like it. Any FPS emulating real warfare doesn't have what I need. I prefer gloomy, atmospheric shooters in which the main character is mostly isolated or surrounded by hordes of demonic foes. Well, human foes are ok, as long as you don't have a team to back you up. The only military games I've played that I liked were all one-man-mission games like Wolfenstein 3D or Soldier of Fortune.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 08:51 AM Reply

People hate COD because ever since MW2 it's been the same game. I play World At War occasionally because it is not the same game as say COD 2 or 3. My friends all say "Why don't you have Black Ops 2?" I simply answer "Why buy the same game?" Sure Black Ops 2 is different a bit, but I'd rather just play Halo, Dust 514, or any other FPS that changes each game.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:54 AM Reply

The reason being a lot of people love Modern Warfare 1 was because it was revolutionary for the fps genre. After that, it's pretty much been the same thing with a couple of add-ons and a few tweaks here and there (much like Pokemon).

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
Pixar9000
Pixar9000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:34 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:39 PM, chillbro wrote:
Madden's even worse. It's been doing that for 20 years.

20 MotherFu*king Years?????? Ea Or Whoever Must Have About $9000000 Dollars Or £87000000 Pounds!

Pixar9000
Pixar9000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to why do so many people hate CoD Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:37 PM Reply

World At War Was Heaven To Me