New Topic Respond to this Topic
DougRobinson
DougRobinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:24 PM Reply

Ok here it is, I need a female singer to do some harmony vocals on my song Shine as well has an R&B jazz female vocalist to sing lead on another. The reason im wanting a black female vocalist, is not to be racist or offend anybody, it's simply just the sound that I have in my head for my song.

Ive had real trouble finding anybody and most people are just time wasters.

I just need someone that can record their vocals clearly and be able to email them to me, you dont have to even be at my home studio to do this, so Please if you're interested or maybe know somebody that might, get in touch. my email is [email protected] you can also check out my music on Reverbnation or Soundcloud, the links are on my profile page for this site, but we can sort out the details and things later.
Hope to hear from ya soon!!!!!

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 12:24 PM, DougRobinson wrote: Ok here it is, I need a female singer to do some harmony vocals on my song

This post would do better here, as per the rules.

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 05:01 PM, Adam-Beilgard wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:24 PM, DougRobinson wrote: Ok here it is, I need a female singer to do some harmony vocals on my song
This post would do better here, as per the rules.

Vocalists =/= Voice Actors.

Also, OP... Ethnicity has nothing to do with vocal talent. Being black does not automatically mean only you can sing a certain way.

You are clearly misinformed if you think otherwise.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
DougRobinson
DougRobinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

and you are right but like I said it is simply the sound I have in my head for my song.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 05:15 PM, DougRobinson wrote: and you are right but like I said it is simply the sound I have in my head for my song.

Last I checked, black skin doesn't have a sound.

Just sayin'.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
RogueSoul
RogueSoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 06:02 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 2/3/13 05:15 PM, DougRobinson wrote: and you are right but like I said it is simply the sound I have in my head for my song.
Last I checked, black skin doesn't have a sound.

Just sayin'.

actually, one can often tell a persons race from tone and intonation - black people are a notorious example. If he has the sound of a black lady's voice in mind, then i'd say that's something specific and somewhat well defined.

nope, no sig.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:16 PM Reply

Cabaret, gospel, or jazz singer would be more politically correct. I think thats what he's going for here.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 07:16 PM, Breed wrote: would be more politically correct.

Please.

He wants a black singer for his track, so let him want a black singer for his track!

I'm white and I take no offense :P

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 07:20 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 2/3/13 07:16 PM, Breed wrote: would be more politically correct.
Please.

He wants a black singer for his track, so let him want a black singer for his track!

I'm white and I take no offense :P

I don't get offended, I dont even have a soul, but most of what is associated with black female vocals are those 3 styles of singing. I'm just breaking it down one step farther, to make it both more specific, and more "politically" (meaning non offending or publicly acceptable in this case) correct.

Also, why would being a white dude provide any kind of logic as to the validity of a statement about offensiveness in using the term "black female"?

DylnMatrix
DylnMatrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 07:10 PM, RogueSoul wrote: actually, one can often tell a persons race from tone and intonation - black people are a notorious example. If he has the sound of a black lady's voice in mind, then i'd say that's something specific and somewhat well defined.

I'm going to have to disagree a bit with that. Before I saw what she looked like, I thought Adele was a black woman by how much soul she had in her voice.

Though most black lady's do have a lot of soul in their voices, you can easily mistake a white woman for a black woman, stereotypically speaking.

But as said, if the OP wants a black female vocalist, let him have one.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:17 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 06:02 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Last I checked, black skin doesn't have a sound.

Actually the shape of is a bit different and the sound of their voices are (most of the times) having a natural impostation (I don't know if that's the word in English, in Romanian is "impostatie" and is a classical canto technique).
Just compare Barry White with Tom Jones and you'll get what I try to say.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:20 AM Reply

Actually the shape of larynx is a bit different. That's what I wanted to write :D

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 03:17 AM, sorohanro wrote:
At 2/3/13 06:02 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Last I checked, black skin doesn't have a sound.
Actually the shape of is a bit different and the sound of their voices are (most of the times) having a natural impostation (I don't know if that's the word in English, in Romanian is "impostatie" and is a classical canto technique).
Just compare Barry White with Tom Jones and you'll get what I try to say.

This would be relevant if it weren't for the fact that no 2 peoples voices are exactly alike. Voices are as varied as appearance, simply "being black" will not result in whatever vocal style the OP is going for.

I'm 100% positive there are plenty of people not of black ancestry that can pull off whatever style he's after.

If one of those people is on newgrounds, I've no idea. Last I checked, we don't have a whole lot of R&B singers in the first place... Or singers in general for that matter.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
DougRobinson
DougRobinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:48 AM Reply

I just wanted to say Thanks for the support, I really didnt want to offend anyone, and Im glad some people can see what it is that I meant to say. I am looking for an R&B jazz vocalist, so maybe I shouldve put that down instead, but like I said Ive had no luck so far, Ive been doing this for over 20 yrs and Ive worked with people/muscians from all walks of life, I love working with other people and I feel musicians should work together I just hear the sound in my head when I play my song, no offence or disrespect to anyone. I also apologise if Ive put this in the wrong thread or section, I didnt realise.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 07:48 AM, DougRobinson wrote: I just wanted to say Thanks for the support, I really didnt want to offend anyone, and Im glad some people can see what it is that I meant to say. I am looking for an R&B jazz vocalist, so maybe I shouldve put that down instead, but like I said Ive had no luck so far, Ive been doing this for over 20 yrs and Ive worked with people/muscians from all walks of life, I love working with other people and I feel musicians should work together I just hear the sound in my head when I play my song, no offence or disrespect to anyone. I also apologise if Ive put this in the wrong thread or section, I didnt realise.

I don;t think you offended anyone and you made this thread in the right place. Sorry that you didn't find any vocalist yet.
I know a vocalist and she is pretty good on this, even that she's white. I might try to find some more people, meanwhile listen to this and maybe is good for what you need:
http://soundcloud.com/laura-buta/what-are-you-doing-with-the

DougRobinson
DougRobinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Looking for a black female vocalist Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 10:28 AM Reply

Hey thanks man, Ill check it out.