00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crakie20 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Iphone app? 2013-02-03 05:29:50

Hi! Im not an expert in this subject, but wouldn't it be possible to make a Newgrounds Iphone app for animations now that SWF can be easily converted to the suitable movie format?
It could be a separate "Iphone animations" portal all together, or maybe the app could filter submissions based on if their format would work on the Iphone.
Could this be a good way to promote Newgrounds and could it be beneficial for content creators? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed.
Just an idea...

Response to NG Iphone app? 2013-02-03 05:46:32

Any promotion is good promotion, though it feels like a whole new portal for entries viewable on iPhones would take significant work to make. Good idea though.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Iphone app? 2013-02-07 22:23:40

It would be pretty stupid. This is a (mostly) Flash based site and Flash is not supported on iOS. Also, generally all smartphones do not support Flash because it's made for a computer.

As of other content like video, music and forums I think it'll be good for people already on Newgrounds. I don't see it recruiting new people to the site.

But I'm not saying it's a really bad idea, just that the site is not widely used on smartphones in general

Response to NG Iphone app? 2013-02-08 15:09:14

At 2/7/13 10:23 PM, uglybetty wrote: It would be pretty stupid. This is a (mostly) Flash based site and Flash is not supported on iOS. Also, generally all smartphones do not support Flash because it's made for a computer.

As of other content like video, music and forums I think it'll be good for people already on Newgrounds. I don't see it recruiting new people to the site.

But I'm not saying it's a really bad idea, just that the site is not widely used on smartphones in general

You missed his first sentence. There is an easy SWF converter out now, if you go to the main page on a smartphone and play one of the popular videos, it will play, even on a Windows Phone. They are working on going mobile, and I'm pretty sure a mobile-friendly layout is coming with this.

And it MAY not be used by many smartphone users, but that could be because it isn't optimized for phones yet. Once you build it, they will come, or it will be used, in this case. To ignore the mobile market would be a good way to watch your site slowly go down the drain.

Response to NG Iphone app? 2013-02-08 16:49:15

Wasted effort I'd say. We still can't compete with youtube.

Response to NG Iphone app? 2013-02-08 17:21:48

At 2/8/13 04:49 PM, Jackho wrote: Wasted effort I'd say. We still can't compete with youtube.

That's like Macy's saying "we can't compete with WalMart. Let's give up."

Newgrounds and YouTube are fairly different where there's enough to differentiate each others features, goals, and services. YouTube is site built to just share any type of video, where Newgrounds is more for animations, games, and so forth. Think of Newgrounds like the Vimeo or TED of YouTube. There's enough room for all us in this type of market and I wouldn't think Newgrounds is 100% directly competing against YouTube.