00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Style Vs. Accuracy?

741 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 01:51:29

Hiya fellow Newgrounders, I have a question: how important is accuracy in drawing versus style? Like, I draw a skull and it's sort of disproportionate, "no, no, the upper part of the cranium is much taller"....but it looks okay. So, it is a pitfall to call it good there? Or is it terribly important to focus on getting it "perfect"?

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 02:00:45

Disney's old "skeleton dance" that everybody references, for example, is not focused on the "exact" proportions of the characters being animated, but that I suppose was not the purpose of that film.
Yet, those artists that worked on it already drew extremely well.

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 02:38:57

Who cares.

If it looks how you intended it to look, and it looks good, then a motherfucking winrar is you. Otherwise accuracy important when the emphasis is on that, style is important under the it's own context, and doing something for the sake of doing it has always been stupid.

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 02:55:20

The general advice people give is that you should know how to draw things accurately, even when you're abandoning realism for stylistic reasons.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 03:39:51

As lintire remarked; if it looks good it looks good. period. However; as Aigis rightfully pointed out, that can't be an excuse to not try to make the proportions right in your next drawing. Once you know how things really look/work you can abstract from that. That way you can get a steady grip on it you know if you want it to look a certain way to just make the cranium bigger than it normally would be, otherwise you are just messing about and hoping that it looks good by accident.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 04:03:07

It depends on what you're trying to go for, as with anything. If what you're going for is realism, it should be realistic. So on, and so forth. I personally don't think your style should hindered at all, at the cost of accuracy (Unless of course you're being paid for it). If you're not happy with it, you won't be happy with it. But money makes everything better.

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 05:02:26

At 2/3/13 03:39 AM, J-qb wrote:
you are just messing about and hoping that it looks good by accident.

Story of my life

nope, no sig.

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 05:05:06

in general: accuracy matters to other artists, style matters to other people.

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 08:55:48

At 2/3/13 05:05 AM, M-Maher wrote: in general: accuracy matters to other artists, style matters to other people.

B-b-but artists are people, too. :'(

I agree with all that has been said so far. What struck me additionally is the title Style vs. accuracy. If it is your style, then it's still accurate, even if it's not realistic. Otherwise both stylized or realistic art would be just accidental, as it has been pointed out already. While I am typing this, I start figuring that you meant realism rather than accuracy and thus my post is not really necessary here. But I'm not sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 09:08:44

substance before style, if your figure isnt convincing your style doesnt matter, it will look terrible. make anything in any style you want, just make sure you arent abandoning the rules of form as you do so.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Style Vs. Accuracy? 2013-02-03 09:22:29

At 2/3/13 08:55 AM, Luwano wrote: What struck me additionally is the title Style vs. accuracy. If it is your style, then it's still accurate, even if it's not realistic.

There are 5 kinds of people in the world who nitpick semantics, and all of them suck.