New Topic Respond to this Topic
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:23 PM Reply

I've reached my quota of four replies per topic, and I have to wait half an hour to post the last part of my story.

There are so many competitors in this one! My chances are slim at best...

Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 08:23 PM, FlyingColours wrote: I've reached my quota of four replies per topic, and I have to wait half an hour to post the last part of my story.

There are so many competitors in this one! My chances are slim at best...

This happend to me because I forgot to reformat my story's conclusion post. While I waited I was scared another would post and split up my story. Didn't happen tho. ^^

Cybercity Newgrounds: A Cop's Tale
I wanna be an author someday.

BBS Signature
jennaskook
jennaskook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Haha, fixed my story. Now you can actually read it.

Anyway, luck to all! I always have such a short attention span with these things, but I'll try to read all the submissions.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Great!

"Zombie of the mind, craves food for thought."

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Well, the contest is closed. Now comes the waiting! How do you guys think you did?

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:11 AM Reply

Well this contest was certainly awesome. A lot of great entries. Is this what I have been missing from the Writing Forum?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:12 AM Reply

I was impressed by the massive amount of entries this contest received. Originally I assumed there would be little challenge, but it is clear that Newgrounds has a swelling community of talented writers. I would honestly be surprised if I even placed, at this point!

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 3/3/13 09:12 AM, Sectus wrote: I was impressed by the massive amount of entries this contest received. Originally I assumed there would be little challenge, but it is clear that Newgrounds has a swelling community of talented writers.

Well that was what happened last contest. :)

I think we need to thank Tom and the staff for this awesome competition since they put this up on the front page.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:44 PM Reply

So I was reading the stories and those apostrophe âEUTM problems were really annoying, so I wrote a little script to take care of that.

http://pastebin.com/PJvbJq3c

If you use greasemonkey (firefox) or tampermonkey (chrome) you should be able to use this as a new script and it'll fix everything.

Alternatively, if you don't know how or don't want to bother with any of that, you can copy paste the following code as-it-is in the address window and it will fix all the apostrophe's on that page (but then you'd have to do this every time you refresh or open a new page)

javascript: document.documentElement.innerHTML = document.documentElement.innerHTML.replace(/âEUTM/g,"'");do cument.documentElement.innerHTML = document.documentElement.innerHTML.replace(/âEUoe/g,'"');do cument.documentElement.innerHTML = document.documentElement.innerHTML.replace(/âEU/g,'"');

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:16 PM Reply

I hope some of other stories wont have it counted to much against them for that code crap.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 07:16 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: I hope some of other stories wont have it counted to much against them for that code crap.

I certainly hope the other judges don't. I know I didn't. Yeah it made it hard to read at times. That is not on the fault of the writer though.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 4th, 2013 @ 12:01 AM Reply

At 3/3/13 11:34 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 3/3/13 07:16 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: I hope some of other stories wont have it counted to much against them for that code crap.
I certainly hope the other judges don't. I know I didn't. Yeah it made it hard to read at times. That is not on the fault of the writer though.

I hope they fix it soon.

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

Reviews: Round 1

The Merchant by Jason Pick

Not really sure what to say about this one. You've definitely got some genre hopping with the change from poem to prose and it was very random... but other then that I don't know. Try to put more work into plot next time, maybe?

Untitled by Lympha

There are some very good parts to this one, and some that could use some work. One thing I noticed, which is something I myself struggle with, is the tendency to over-explain things. For instance, you say the light blinded him because his eyes were adjusted to the dark. That last detail might not have been necessary. The reader can probably understand that the light is very bright just because you say it blinds him. Too much detail can sometimes distract the reader and breaks flow.

I liked how you changed the style of narration at first, as it seemed to change when we were in another character's perspective, but the last one doesn't make sense. If we're still in the same characters head why does he suddenly sound what family guy thinks black people are like?

In the end, I just found myself wondering what the plot was. It was just too short. You've got a whole month for these contests, so don't be afraid to spend time developing your idea.

Untitled by Cryo5

Very dark, very moody. I like a lot of the imagery, especially the part about the sea creatures. It was a bit esoteric and I found myself wondering how the first half connected with the second half, and I can't really piece them together. But that's okay, it was a really enjoyable read even if it wasn't the most straight forward.

I'll try to get through everybody's as fast as I can, hopefully I'll be able to read a few more tonight.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Jasonpick
Jasonpick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 3/7/13 05:02 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote: Reviews: Round 1

The Merchant by Jason Pick

Not really sure what to say about this one. You've definitely got some genre hopping with the change from poem to prose and it was very random... but other then that I don't know. Try to put more work into plot next time, maybe?

Yeah

good luck.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 03:56 AM Reply

Just wanted to say I'm almost done with judging the entries. The-Great-One is already done. Shouldn't be too long now!

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 07:57 AM Reply

Wow, you guys are fast! There are so many entries this time.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 05:55 PM Reply

Cant wait for results!

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

still a little bummed out the fact that i was unable to finish my piece in time

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 08:50 PM Reply

Always next month, so cheer up mate:)

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 09:47 AM Reply

At 3/10/13 03:56 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Just wanted to say I'm almost done with judging the entries. The-Great-One is already done. Shouldn't be too long now!

I'm getting there too. Give it a couple of days and I'll have my marks done.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
roadguy5
roadguy5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 12:20 AM Reply

Man, I'm excited to see the results, this was an exciting one.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 01:21 AM Reply

Sorry guys! I'm still reviewing the stories. I'm sure 4 is done, although I haven't really communicated with him. There were 100 combined pages 12 size font. In a way, I'm glad to see all the writing. But holy crap! I'll be done by tomorrow, at the latest.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Kyjote
Kyjote
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Voice Actor
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 03:14 AM Reply

Its a good thing we didn't have newgrounds decide to post all their NaNoWriMo novels in one discussion for rating!
85 pages of size 12 is about what each writer would be putting in!

OH GOD WHY?!

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 05:49 PM Reply

Reviews Round 2!

Possessed by Zag

Again, I don't know much about poetry in terms of structure, rhyme scheme, and all that so I'll just assume you did it all right! I do like the idea of the whole piece, its kind of a darker take on "Poltergeist". The switch to prose and then back to poetry is well orchestrated, especially working the poem into what the man hears. It doesn't interrupt the flow which is good as well. Unfortunately its rather short, I feel like you could get some more mileage out of the prose side of the story. Maybe he gets to talk to the spirit?

Cicero by Amaranthus

I'm not sure if there was supposed to be more of this story. It didn't really feel like anything happened and I didn't see any genre hopping. I'll give you the same piece of advice I gave Lympha: You don't need to describe absolutely everything. And if you do want to describe every detail about a character, try to work it into the flow of the story better. Its a bit jarring when the story stops so there can be an entire paragraph dedicated to the kings face. Avoid repeating yourself, like when the king says he will give a speech twice. Since the story is so short you really don't have a lot of room to get your point across. Next time take advantage of all the time you have in this contest.

I'll Be Home For Christmas by RightWingGamer

Very sad. But also well done. I like the switches and how you worked the IM style exchange into it. The poetry was well done except for the second to last line it felt like you were stretching to find a word to rhyme with "person", but ah what do I know? Good use of exchanging perspectives as well.

Untitled by Bunivasal

I really like this one. Very funny and creative. While I'm not sure about the "genre hopping" aspect of it it is a really easy read and flows really well. It takes a very mundane subject and makes it something that is actually quite engrossing. The end joke is funny but even so I would have like to see more!

Man, I didn't realize how many of these there are! More reviews to follow soon.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 05:49 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote: Possessed by Zag

Again, I don't know much about poetry in terms of structure, rhyme scheme, and all that so I'll just assume you did it all right! I do like the idea of the whole piece, its kind of a darker take on "Poltergeist". The switch to prose and then back to poetry is well orchestrated, especially working the poem into what the man hears. It doesn't interrupt the flow which is good as well. Unfortunately its rather short, I feel like you could get some more mileage out of the prose side of the story. Maybe he gets to talk to the spirit?

First of all, I really want to thank you for the review.
It was a pleasure being a part of this contest. This was actually the first writing contest I've ever participated in.
I tend not to be very adept at writing short stories. Typically, I wind up making them far too involved and then they require the attention of a novel (or at least a novella)

For that reason, I didn't want to go too deep into this. If I did, I probably wouldn't have had anything at all to submit at all. I also figured that I'd try my hand at flash fiction, something I've always really wanted to test out, but have never had an idea for.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort. Aside from giving me an opportunity to write, I've enjoyed seeing the entries from the other contestants, so even if I don't win anything, this contest was definitely worthwhile.

BBS Signature
Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 11:20 PM Reply

*fidget... fidget* getting antsy over here. ^^

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 3/16/13 11:20 PM, silverspecks wrote: *fidget... fidget* getting antsy over here. ^^

I'm basically just waiting for DeftAndEvil's scores so I can post the results.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 03:29 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: I'm basically just waiting for DeftAndEvil's scores so I can post the results.

You're not the only one waiting eagerly for DeftAndEvil.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Talk creating suspense.

BBS Signature
Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 11:30 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: Talk creating suspense.

*heartbeat* *jaws du-dun* *rising pitch in strings as you're slowly turning the corner* ... *waiting for std test results*

BBS Signature