New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-07 14:32:31 Reply

At 2/6/13 05:43 PM, Tomster1000 wrote: Wow people, you're keeping it so short... I think I'll really need all the time to write/finetune my story and even then I think I will still spot things I'd like to improve.
At 2/7/13 12:47 AM, roadguy5 wrote: I'll be posting mine soon after I finish spell checking and the such, can't wait to read more!

Listen to these two people. Before you post, read and re-read. Read your stories aloud, it will help you catch things that you normally wouldn't. If you can, record yourself either video or audio and listen to it back, it will help. Always spell check and don't trust the spell check with your word processor, always spell check your own stuff. And before you even think of scrolling down to hit that Post button, READ IT AGAIN.

The deadline is March 2nd at Midnight so you have plenty of time. It's not a race and those who submit even on the last day will still be read and judged the same as the others.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Metraff
Metraff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-07 18:25:50 Reply

I've never written anything in my life, but hell, I'll take a stab at it.

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds
"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-08 10:16:04 Reply

At 2/7/13 11:39 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 2/6/13 05:43 PM, Tomster1000 wrote: Wow people, you're keeping it so short... I think I'll really need all the time to write/finetune my story and even then I think I will still spot things I'd like to improve.
This ^

Don't be afraid to take your time! Write, rewrite, revise, throw everything out and start over.

Quality over quantity! We want to prove the writing community can create some really awesome stuff.
At 2/7/13 02:32 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 2/7/13 12:47 AM, roadguy5 wrote: I'll be posting mine soon after I finish spell checking and the such, can't wait to read more!
Listen to these two people. Before you post, read and re-read. Read your stories aloud, it will help you catch things that you normally wouldn't. If you can, record yourself either video or audio and listen to it back, it will help. Always spell check and don't trust the spell check with your word processor, always spell check your own stuff. And before you even think of scrolling down to hit that Post button, READ IT AGAIN.

The deadline is March 2nd at Midnight so you have plenty of time. It's not a race and those who submit even on the last day will still be read and judged the same as the others.

Good to see you guys agree. I'm at about 1,000 words now and that's the result of about 5 days of intense writing and rewriting. A good story doesn't just exist out of a good plot, but using the right words can change alot. When writing, every character should be given a personality, which is clearly reflected in the form of writing you use.

As an example, yoosing bad gremmer is noo bat ting, as long as it is part of certain character. Actually, using it on purpose,in the right way, can actually spice up your story. That's no excuse for bad grammar though and should only be used when you're already a bit experienced with writing, as it's easy to misunderstand.

Damn, I hope I'm not decreasing my odds of winning now... ;)

Check out mah greetz to the curious peepz Here!

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-09 14:42:29 Reply

For those of you who haven't posted an entry yet. I'm gonna say this. RightWingGamer, Sectus, and bunivasal's all have that certain creativity that this contest is looking for.

BBS Signature
Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-11 06:03:42 Reply

At 2/11/13 04:43 AM, Amaranthus wrote: Is this against the rules?
Theamazingjamez posted an old thing he made rather than writing something especially for the contest.

Why would it be? Think of it as a talent show, an old talent is worth the 1st place as much as someone who just learned something new. Same works for stories, if one of my older stories would've been fitting for this contest, I would've used it too.

munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-11 19:57:27 Reply

humbug my camera skills are not what i hoped they where, it was an creative half hour of my life though

BBS Signature
roadguy5
roadguy5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-12 00:08:41 Reply

I just tried to enter my story into the offcial forum, but when I pasted it, I found that it was cut at about halfway. I went to my word doc, did word count and found out that it has about 16,000 characters w/out spaces, and I can't post anymore than around 8,000 characters on a forum reply.

I uploaded the story to my news feed to test out the formatting. Is there any chance I could post a link to that on the official thread, or am I screwed?

Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-12 03:49:51 Reply

At 2/12/13 12:08 AM, roadguy5 wrote: I just tried to enter my story into the offcial forum, but when I pasted it, I found that it was cut at about halfway. I went to my word doc, did word count and found out that it has about 16,000 characters w/out spaces, and I can't post anymore than around 8,000 characters on a forum reply.

I uploaded the story to my news feed to test out the formatting. Is there any chance I could post a link to that on the official thread, or am I screwed?

Multiple people have done it that way already, so I do not think that would be an issue. Go ahead and put the link in the contest thread, as long as it has less words than 4,000, I'm sure they'll review it exactly the same as any other.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-12 07:36:07 Reply

At 2/12/13 03:49 AM, Tomster1000 wrote: Multiple people have done it that way already, so I do not think that would be an issue. Go ahead and put the link in the contest thread, as long as it has less words than 4,000, I'm sure they'll review it exactly the same as any other.

If you haven't submitted your story yet, you can split it up on multiple posts. It's preferred over submitting a link to your newspost.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-12 18:48:10 Reply

At 2/12/13 07:36 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: If you haven't submitted your story yet, you can split it up on multiple posts. It's preferred over submitting a link to your newspost.

That way if your entry wins it will forever be on Newgrounds. Also a news post can be edited by you, which seems a bit unfair.

BBS Signature
Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-16 07:10:39 Reply

At 2/16/13 12:26 AM, silverspecks wrote: Please delete the other version of this post that has formatting issues.

"Haven't told John this yet," the bartender addressed Julia, "but the bar's gonna be closed next Saturday. Take'n the wife out fer annivers'ry and I couldn't find a replacement."

"Sounds romantic Chuck. Where're you two going?"

"Some fancy-schmancy place I can't pronounce. That good-for-nothing man of yours told her 'bout it, and I already know it's gonna put me out another hundred."

:........

End

Alrighty, let me shed some light on this one.

First thing I noticed: Short. That doesn't mean it's bad, but if you make it longer, you'll be able to put more depth in your story, with more ease. Ofcourse, depth in a story is very important, so try to write a bit more, you've got tons of time left before the deadline and they'll judge every piece the same way, so take your time.

Next thing I saw, was your writing style. You started off without a proper introduction of the characters, which actually turned out good. I understood who was who and it also proves you're quite able of adding characters in the mix, without the need of a whole paragraph of text. Also, you used alot of extra explanation at moments, which was very good. How higher the level of writing, the better you'll get at creating a lively surrounding.
You kept the writing style of every character well split, though I personally would've avoided using words like "he's" instead of "he has" for Julia. She seemed to be alot more literate than the barkeeper, so that extra bit would've made the difference even more clear.

Third thing I checked were the intro and outro. They weren't there. That doesn't necessarily has to be a problem, but here, it felt like a started watching a movie that was already running for a while, so that cost me a bit of my interest. Also, the ending was a bit too abrupt. What's his past? If this was supposed to have a sequel, the ending would've been amazing, but now it just left me hanging.

Writing is a learning process. As you start writing more, you'll start to understand what makes a story good and what makes it worse. Lots of writers can get problem with writers block, but that's most of the time because they feel forced to finish a part of the story on one day. Just take your time and find the right balance between writing and relaxing and you will probably never have that problem again.

The most important thing is though, that you're supposed to have fun. As I read the author's note, I think you have and that's what matters the most. Just keep on writing whenever you feel like it, because your story was quite good, but just needed a bit more length. I'm looking forward to reading your next story for the next contest.

Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-16 14:27:02 Reply

In response to Tomster1000:

After reading your review it would seem as if you only read the very last of the four posts that make up the story. The post you were focusing on could itself be considered the conclusion to my much larger story. I emplore you to read the whole thing as much of what you've brought up can be answered. Also, I try to make an underlying truth in my story fairly obvious without explicitly stating it outright. I would be overjoyed if my readers figured it out.

Cybercity Newgrounds: A Cop's Tale
I wanna be an author someday.

BBS Signature
Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-16 15:46:49 Reply

At 2/16/13 02:27 PM, silverspecks wrote: In response to Tomster1000:

After reading your review it would seem as if you only read the very last of the four posts that make up the story. The post you were focusing on could itself be considered the conclusion to my much larger story. I emplore you to read the whole thing as much of what you've brought up can be answered. Also, I try to make an underlying truth in my story fairly obvious without explicitly stating it outright. I would be overjoyed if my readers figured it out.

My bad, I saw

At 2/16/13 12:26 AM, silverspecks wrote: Please delete the other version of this post that has formatting issues.

So I thought it was just one post. I'll read it again and PM you the whole review, otherwise I'd be spamming the whole thread full with one post, haha.

Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-16 15:50:58 Reply

At 2/16/13 03:46 PM, Tomster1000 wrote: So I thought it was just one post. I'll read it again and PM you the whole review, otherwise I'd be spamming the whole thread full with one post, haha.

Great! I look forward to hearing from you again.

BBS Signature
RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-17 18:17:34 Reply

This seems like a pretty cool contest theme, but I'm swamped until early March and therefore unable to submit.

I may pop in to read some of the submissions though - so good luck everyone!

BBS Signature
roadguy5
roadguy5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-19 20:06:14 Reply

At 2/12/13 06:48 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 2/12/13 07:36 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: If you haven't submitted your story yet, you can split it up on multiple posts. It's preferred over submitting a link to your newspost.
That way if your entry wins it will forever be on Newgrounds. Also a news post can be edited by you, which seems a bit unfair.

Oh, O.K.
Sorry, I didn't read these before I posted, but I'll make sure to do that next time.

RIGg0rMORtis
RIGg0rMORtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-21 15:30:50 Reply

Posted my story! Unfortunately, the two halves got separated when page 1 of the thread hit its maximum length. The first half of the story is on page 1 of the contest thread, and the second is on page 2. Make sure you read both!

I had fun with this contest! If it's not immediately obvious, my story is in the format of a collection of tweets. I'm eager to hear people's critiques!

Tomster1000
Tomster1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-24 06:19:11 Reply

At 2/16/13 03:50 PM, silverspecks wrote: Great! I look forward to hearing from you again.
At 2/21/13 03:30 PM, RIGg0rMORtis wrote: I'm eager to hear people's critiques!

My schedule has unexpectedly tightened up a notch, so I'll review you both, but it will take a while. School tends to be a killer.

PloxBot
PloxBot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-26 01:16:03 Reply

is it still too late to enter?

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-26 15:10:43 Reply

At 2/26/13 01:16 AM, PloxBot wrote: is it still too late to enter?

Quoted from the contest thread:

DEADLINE: March 2nd, 2013; MIDNIGHT STD, EST (ie midnight between March 2nd and March 3rd)

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-26 18:25:31 Reply

I'm still in an early stage of writing. Hope I can manage it.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-26 23:25:57 Reply

At 2/26/13 06:25 PM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm still in an early stage of writing. Hope I can manage it.

Same here. The slow painful slog towards completion continues! If only I didn't need to work!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Kyjote
Kyjote
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Voice Actor
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-27 22:47:37 Reply

I had no idea that the newgrounds forum text had problems with copy-paste from word with apostrophes and quotation marks... I suppose that may cost me some points...shit

OH GOD WHY?!

Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-27 23:05:05 Reply

At 2/27/13 10:47 PM, Kyjote wrote: I had no idea that the newgrounds forum text had problems with copy-paste from word with apostrophes and quotation marks... I suppose that may cost me some points...shit

I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't something you had control over and I doubt the judges would dock you points for such a thing.

jennaskook
jennaskook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-28 21:05:45 Reply

Arrgh I tried to post but somehow it got all messed up. I'm pretty sure it's unintelligible. ARGH
I'm sorry.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-02-28 22:33:03 Reply

Im ready for march 2nd now. Was the deadlined put on Dr. Sues's birthday on purpose? I think its funny that a GENRE EXPLORING writing contest should fall on the same day:-D

"Zombie of the mind, craves food for thought."

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-03-01 04:09:26 Reply

Must finish story!

Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-03-01 15:45:45 Reply

At 3/1/13 04:09 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Must finish story!

Then what the h e double hockeysticks are you doing here?! Get back to Word! lol

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-03-01 17:24:20 Reply

Got mine in! Not sure if I like it, of if it even fits the prompt, but oh well! I'll try to start leaving some reviews of everybody else's stuff, but there's so many of them this time it'll take me a while to read em all.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Mwc13: Discussion 2013-03-01 19:26:06 Reply

Same here. I cant wait to see the results. Good luck bro!

"Zombie of the mind, craves food for thought."

BBS Signature