New Topic Respond to this Topic
fishwobbles
fishwobbles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Hey, new at programming Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:04 PM Reply

hey im 17, i take Advanced placement computer science courses at my high school, and im pretty decent at it, but how would i apply this knollege to making a game in java? could someone explain the basics to me? Where i would start, how to start ect. The only language i know is java but id like to learn more

PandaexpressMan
PandaexpressMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, new at programming Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 07:19 PM Reply

Here!

PandaexpressMan
PandaexpressMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, new at programming Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Hmm, that is weird, when I first started learning c# I went to various sources including theNewBoston. Although the dude who makes them is kind of a freak, I found them pretty helpful. But yeah I guess it is what ever works for you. I can see how the new boston could teach some bad concepts specifically with the c# videos regarding programming to the pre-made objects you can just drag into your window. I'd rather start learning the console programming. None the less, I thought it was a helpful source.

MonsterMMORPG
MonsterMMORPG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Hey, new at programming Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 08:16 AM Reply

i would suggest you to go with web programming

easiest to start are php and mysql

M.Sc. Computer Engineer Furkan Gozukara from Turkey
Indie game Monster MMORPG developer
Game is similar to Pokemon games although without any copyright violation

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Hey, new at programming Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:08 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 08:16 AM, MonsterMMORPG wrote: php

Waiting for Diki's response in 3... 2... 1...

#coys

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Hey, new at programming Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:08 AM, deckheadtottie wrote: Waiting for Diki's response in 3... 2... 1...

I was sick all day yesterday, so sorry for the delay. :)

At 2/17/13 08:16 AM, MonsterMMORPG wrote: i would suggest you to go with web programming

Getting into web programming isn't very helpful for someone who wants to develop games; web development and game development are completely separate beasts.

At 2/17/13 08:16 AM, MonsterMMORPG wrote: easiest to start are php and mysql

And I could not disagree more with both these recommendations. PHP is a terrible programming language, and certainly not something a beginner should attempt to learn as they won't be able to adequately understand just why PHP is so awful. It is possible to write PHP effectively if you know what you're doing, but you will be much better off writing Python or Ruby.
Long story short if you have a choice you shouldn't pick PHP.

I would also recommend using PostgreSQL over MySQL any day of the week.

Ken-from-the-Deep
Ken-from-the-Deep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Hey, new at programming Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

Hi, sorry about the late reply...

In regards to programming games with Java-- you can definitely do it, in fact I've done it myself! You'd almost certainly want to use a pre-written game engine-- the one I used is called Slick2D:

http://www.slick2d.org/

A "game engine" is basically a huge library of pre-written code that saves you a ton of time & trouble-- it handles common tasks that most games need (tasks such as opening a window for your game to run in, establishing a game loop, rendering graphics, playing sound effects)... Once the game engine is setup in your project, you'll have a lot of new built-in methods that you can use.. maybe things like:

SoundEngine.playSound("yourSound", maxVolume); //to make a sound effect play

playerCharacter.Render(playerSprite, currPlayerPosition); //make the player's sprite appear somewhere on screen

I just made those up-- but you get the idea. As for getting started-- choose a game engine, then spend some time on their website, post on their forum, and look for tutorials on Google and Youtube.. and before you know it you'll be working on your game!

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Hey, new at programming Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 12:34 PM Reply

gawne bpropesxmainh

original I am.

BBS Signature
kitoplayer
kitoplayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, new at programming Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 05:04 PM, fishwobbles wrote: hey im 17, i take Advanced placement computer science courses at my high school, and im pretty decent at it, but how would i apply this knollege to making a game in java? could someone explain the basics to me? Where i would start, how to start ect. The only language i know is java but id like to learn more

You (and everyone else wanting to start programming) can give a shot at codeacademy.com, it's a learning site for things like HTML, CSS, Python, Ruby, Javascript and more, with just a few interactive lessons to undergo. In 5 days i completed the HTML/CSS course and are now learning Javascript, it will REALLY help you, lad!.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Hey, new at programming Mar. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 05:04 PM, fishwobbles wrote: hey im 17, i take Advanced placement computer science courses at my high school, and im pretty decent at it, but how would i apply this knollege to making a game in java? could someone explain the basics to me? Where i would start, how to start ect. The only language i know is java but id like to learn more

Game development is a complicated process and im fairly aware of what is taught in AP CS courses in high school so you might want to try projects alittle less ambitious.

But if you must.

Start with something simple. Like tetris. Reverse engineer tetris. But don't add music. Just do the gui, and make blocks drop and move left and right.

Reverse engineering means you analyze the end product, and try to recreate it with your own knowledge and resources. So when you open a tetris game. Try to recreate that exact game. But with less functionality and various things.

The language you do it in won't matter. It only matters if you plan to distribute and sell your product.

chekbo44
chekbo44
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Hey, new at programming Mar. 24th, 2013 @ 08:54 AM Reply

I'm 17 years old too , but i started programming at 12 , i learnt first C/C++ ( i know it's the hardest one) then i moved to other languages like HTML PHP Flash Java C# ... etc
You just have to know the basics of programming then you can move to other languages , but in game programing it's more physics and maths and how graphics and UI works that you have to know because you'll need them a lot.
And for Java try to learn Java 2D or Java 3D or OpenGl