Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Famitracker Thread 2013-02-01 13:03:33 Reply

Famitracker is fucking awesome.
Its also pretty complex.

If you are a user of Famitracker like myself, maybe we can help each other out.

Compare techniques, post instruments, ask questions and lets make each others compositions stronger!

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-02-01 19:30:58 Reply

give me deflemask tracker or give me death

famitronker is also pretty cool

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

proost
proost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-11 17:39:45 Reply

Hi all

Great forum!

just about me (for those who are interested):
I've started using Famitracker 2 months ago. I've known it for a while, and after seeing some tutorials, I've made some attempts myself. I'm quite happy with the results - keeping in mind that I don't know the program and it's functionality so well.
I'm learning whilst writing.

I also know of the program Milkytracker (for mac-compatibility) - which is far more complex than Famitracker imo.
I've seen some tutorials about Milkytracker, but I'll stick to Famitracker - I also like the NSF-possibility.

I'm looking for some (honest) reviews on my loops. I'd like to be able to write for games, and I like having 8-bit as a possibility.

Anyways, I'm glad I've found this forum. Hope this will be a very active one!

Cheers!

Jelle

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-12 09:19:47 Reply

I'm still not use to it. I prefer Milky better.

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-12 11:45:33 Reply

This is an awesome thread idea!

I've always wanted to get into Famitracker or Milkytracker. I remember downloading it quite a few years ago. I just didn't understand it. The particular place I downloaded it from had no reference material to go along with it, so I didn't go much further.

If anyone can link me to some good reference material on learning how to use it properly, or would be able to teach me directly, respond here or send me a PM! I would appreciate it.

I'm interested in how the writing process goes, and how you go about morphing the sounds. Sometimes I don't have access to my Windows Desktop, but I know there are trackers available free for Macs too. So it would be useful to know stuff like this to do some composing on the road!

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

CapnCoconuts
CapnCoconuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-12 20:31:04 Reply

At 7/12/13 11:45 AM, frootza wrote: I've always wanted to get into Famitracker or Milkytracker. I remember downloading it quite a few years ago. I just didn't understand it. The particular place I downloaded it from had no reference material to go along with it, so I didn't go much further.

Where did you download it from? The downloads on its home website should come with a help file. If that's not enough for you, check out its wiki.

If you have any questions after looking at the above, shoot.

Recent Audio: Nuclear Winter | Nuclear Holocaust | Don't Wait Until Night

tries to be a gentleman; doesn't always do a very good job

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-13 12:38:54 Reply

At 7/12/13 08:31 PM, CapnCoconuts wrote:
At 7/12/13 11:45 AM, frootza wrote:
Where did you download it from? The downloads on its home website should come with a help file. If that's not enough for you, check out its wiki.

If you have any questions after looking at the above, shoot.

Thanks Capn! I don't actually remember where I downloaded it from. The internet used to be a very different place back in the day. I'd imagine it was some questionable fan made Geocities website though haha.

The reference material was helpful so far. I think that the actual sequencing is where I will run into the most problems. I'm trying to make the jump from step sequencing/piano roll, to this vertical world. I'm so used to seeing things left to right that my brain hurts looking at everything from the top down.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-13 13:03:27 Reply

I really wanna try Famitracker, but I fear the complexity of it will put me off.

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-13 13:52:23 Reply

At 7/12/13 11:45 AM, frootza wrote:

If anyone can link me to some good reference material on learning how to use it properly, or would be able to teach me directly, respond here or send me a PM! I would appreciate it.

I'm interested in how the writing process goes, and how you go about morphing the sounds.

If you have a specific question or issue, ask it here or PM me directly and I will do what I can to help you out.

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-13 14:20:13 Reply

Same as famisynth?
Or is it a OS?

I am confus, i have so many famis, superfamiconchip too. hmm..

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 07:02:37 Reply

At 7/13/13 02:20 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Same as famisynth?
Or is it a OS?

I am confus, i have so many famis, superfamiconchip too. hmm..

it's a standalone tracker for NES/famicom music with a really nice 2a03 emulation and .nsf export. it also lets you track with all the famicom sound expansions like VRC6, VRC7, MM5 etc.

p.s. i am gay

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 09:38:34 Reply

At 7/14/13 07:02 AM, midimachine wrote:

:famicom music with a really nice 2a03 emulation and .nsf export. it also lets you track with all the famicom sound expansions like VRC6, VRC7, MM5 etc.

Does it has pianorolls?

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 10:11:17 Reply

At 7/14/13 09:38 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 7/14/13 07:02 AM, midimachine wrote: famicom music with a really nice 2a03 emulation and .nsf export. it also lets you track with all the famicom sound expansions like VRC6, VRC7, MM5 etc.
Does it has pianorolls?

Are you being sarcastic?

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 12:36:08 Reply

At 7/14/13 10:11 AM, Sielumetsien wrote:
At 7/14/13 07:02 AM, midimachine wrote: famicom music with a really nice 2a03 emulation and .nsf export. it also lets you track with all the famicom sound expansions like VRC6, VRC7, MM5 etc.
Does it has pianorolls?
Are you being sarcastic?

sigh no, why do people always think im sarcastic..

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 13:16:18 Reply

Does it has pianorolls?

nah, a tracker is a particular style of sequencer where everything is placed in vertical lanes. very popular on the old amiga and atari ST computers. very old school. very chip!

famitracker looks like this, it's based on the classic tracker interface (e.g. octaMED, protracker etc.)

unfortunately the transition from piano roll to tracker interface was pretty rough for me, but i can only speak for my own experience. ideally with a tracker you do nearly everything with keyboard shortcuts and rarely use the mouse for anything.

sigh no, why do people always think im sarcastic..

probably just the way you wrote it; "does it has" would usually indicate a sarcastic question. no biggie though, english is fuckin stupid.

p.s. i am gay

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 14:56:46 Reply

I made this thread a long time ago... the second post was def a necro. A general discussion thread about 8-bit composition would be more comprehensive.

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 16:22:21 Reply

At 7/14/13 01:16 PM, midimachine wrote:
Does it has pianorolls?
nah, a tracker is a particular style of sequencer where everything is placed in vertical lanes. very popular on the old amiga and atari ST computers. very old school. very chip!
probably just the way you wrote it; "does it has" would usually indicate a sarcastic question. no biggie though, english is fuckin stupid.

Well i do sometimes speak a little intentionally funnybunny like so ohwell, im dutch ;l (but the question was sincere)

Anyway it looks a bit like impulse tracker, i always thought that was just a name heh, atleast now i know what it means.

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 18:32:42 Reply

At 7/14/13 04:22 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Anyway it looks a bit like impulse tracker, i always thought that was just a name heh, atleast now i know what it means.

Not even close. I was a hardcore user of Impulse. FamiTracker UI is similar to OctaMED.

CapnCoconuts
CapnCoconuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-14 22:51:36 Reply

At 7/14/13 09:52 PM, isaac5699 wrote: no-one's probably going to answer this but I've been wondering how to make a drum/snare sound in famitracker.

Looks like I'm answering it. :)

For general information, take a look at this wiki page.

Importing WAVs for DPCM samples is the simplest method and works fine if you only plan on using the DPCM channel for rhythm. You can also try using the noise or triangle channel for percussion (the triangle channel is very well suited for toms). Some people use both the DPCM and noise channels for percussion, with the DPCM channel being for drums and the noise channel being for hi-hats and such.

I'll share some example noise-based percussion with you that I made for Retro Rogue Robot Rave:

Kick: note pitch 3, volume envelope 15 9 5 3 2 1 0 (Put that number sequence in the text box in the Sequence Editor when viewing the volume envelope of a new instrument and hit the ENTER key to parse)
Snare: note pitch 5, volume envelope 15 13 11 10 9 8 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 0
Reverse Cymbal: note pitch A, volume envelope 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 8 8 8 8 9 9 9 9 10 10 10 10 11 11 11 11 12 12 12 12 13 13 13 13 14 14 14 14 15 15 15 15
Crash Cymbal: note pitch A, 15 15 15 15 14 14 14 14 13 13 13 13 12 12 12 12 11 11 11 11 10 10 10 10 9 9 9 9 8 8 8 8 7 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 0

Noise percussion might not sound very realistic, but it works.

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-07-15 11:11:39 Reply

At 7/14/13 09:52 PM, isaac5699 wrote: no-one's probably going to answer this but I've been wondering how to make a drum/snare sound in famitracker.

Simplified, the general premise is that you gate the noise channel to be short and abrupt. Starting in the volume option with a loud number like 15 (read about hexadecimal, it will make your experience much easier) and ending it with 0 to cut the noise off. This will make a quick "punch" in the noise channel that can resemble a snare or a closed hi-hat

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-02 12:53:36 Reply

I'm wondering, is there a way to change the arpeggio speed when using the 0xy effect?

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-02 20:01:04 Reply

Oh my, what a nice thread to stumble upon. :)

To be honest, I need a lot of help with creating instruments that sound like orchestral ones (EG: Flute-like or horn-like). Anyone have a resource (listed settings I could mess around with) or a NON-TECHNICAL guide to that sort of thing? I do not understand much complex terminology, unfortunately.

I looked a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything, but maybe time has changed and more info is available.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-02 20:59:46 Reply

At 8/2/13 08:01 PM, CheckeredZebra wrote: Oh my, what a nice thread to stumble upon. :)

To be honest, I need a lot of help with creating instruments that sound like orchestral ones (EG: Flute-like or horn-like). Anyone have a resource (listed settings I could mess around with) or a NON-TECHNICAL guide to that sort of thing? I do not understand much complex terminology, unfortunately.

I looked a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything, but maybe time has changed and more info is available.

you do know you'll be working primarily with basic square/pulse waves, right? with that in mind, you'll want to focus on note articulation rather than sound design if you want them to sound flute or horn like. or you can just use the triangle channel for a flute lead, but bear in mind that channel has only two volume settings (on and off) unless you do some tricky stuff.

or you could always mess with the vrc7 expansion, which has a more complex (but still basic) synthesizer

p.s. i am gay

CapnCoconuts
CapnCoconuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-06 15:00:36 Reply

At 8/2/13 08:01 PM, CheckeredZebra wrote: Oh my, what a nice thread to stumble upon. :)

You're going to have a hard time mimicing orchestral instruments with pulse waves.

You could try using an expansion with waveform capabilities. Currently the two expansions available that do that are the FDS and Namco 163 expansions. The Namco 163 gives you the option of using 1 to 8 channels, but sound quality starts sucking as you use more channels. Also, the real Namco 163 chip had limited memory--which is faithfully emulated in FamiTracker, so you have to manage that. More information about it should be in the help file.

You could also look for pre-made instruments. You should be able to find some of those on the FamiTracker forums.

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-09 15:02:01 Reply

Whoo-hoo, thank you for the answers. :]

I will start messing with articulation, I suppose we'll see how that goes. Just in all honesty I had no idea where to start to get different sounds; my products did not have to be amazing recreations but simply serve a similar role as what I was trying to emulate (soft instrument, gritty instrument, blaring instrument, etc.) I became familiar with the different sound forms (triangle, square, etc) but could not figure out how to tweak them further to make interesting and varied sounds. At least, not to the extend that others had.

Thank you for the tips. :)

MC-Jimmy
MC-Jimmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Famitracker Thread 2013-08-10 06:14:44 Reply

Famitracker is pretty cool. My personal favorite expansion mmodules are the MMC5, VRC6, and N163 ones. It'd be pretty cool if they got Sunsoft 5B in there eventually.