New Topic Respond to this Topic
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Outside of personal websites and the like- where do you like to upload your music?

Is newgrounds your favorite outlet? why/why not?

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 11:38 AM, Armoniascuro wrote: Outside of personal websites and the like- where do you like to upload your music?

Is newgrounds your favorite outlet? why/why not?

I started doing it on YouTube under another name.

PS: Where are you from? I asked that on the review too

SUCK MY KICK

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:03 PM Reply

Newgrounds is the only place I upload my music at this time.

I used to have something on Reverbnation, so that I could link it to FB, but I've deleted that since I don't use Facebook anymore.

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:10 PM Reply

Lachi- i responed in PM.

Brokendeck- good for you! Facebook is the tool of the oppressors.

I think NG has not proven to be the most convenient way to share your music with collaborators. But I am not aware of any similar alternatives. I have been recommended Soundcloud from a few sources but I haven't gotten around to scoping it out yet. I used to have one with my old band but I never kept up with it personally.

BBS Signature
KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:13 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:10 PM, Armoniascuro wrote: Lachi- i responed in PM.

Brokendeck- good for you! Facebook is the tool of the oppressors.

I think NG has not proven to be the most convenient way to share your music with collaborators. But I am not aware of any similar alternatives. I have been recommended Soundcloud from a few sources but I haven't gotten around to scoping it out yet. I used to have one with my old band but I never kept up with it personally.

I have a Soundcloud, Facebook, Bandcamp and Youtube.

I still prefer Bandcamp over them all, including NG, because of its functionality.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:33 PM Reply

I prefer Soundcloud's approach, but Newgrounds' community. Bandcamp, no but maybe if I start getting midldly successful and start releasing actual albums and shit

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:44 PM Reply

I use Newgrounds, SoundCloud, Facebook and YouTube. They've all got their own strengths. Newgrounds encourages constructive criticism and has the best community by far. SoundCloud has a fantastic commenting system and it's great how you can browse SoundCloud while still keeping the audio playing. Facebook can be a very quick way to get your music out there if you play your cards right. YouTube is awesome to add a visual element to your music and it's always a good idea to make a YouTube version of all your main songs. Personally, I prefer Newgrounds from them all, but some people have much more luck with other sites.

In my opinion, the best idea is to use as many as you can, but remain dedicated to one or two.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

I have put my music on ITunes, soundcloud, spotify, amazon mp3, google play, youtube, bandcamp, and loads of other places.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 01:08 PM, stratkat wrote: I have put my music on ITunes, soundcloud, spotify, amazon mp3, google play, youtube, bandcamp, and loads of other places.

and you're still no one

(joking, but I think you don't need all those websites)

SUCK MY KICK

Mushraven
Mushraven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 03:23 PM Reply

I have music up on Reverbnation, Myspace, Last.fm, Internet DJ, Facebook and Soundcloud as well as Newgrounds of course. I submit to Newgrounds first as it is by far the best way to get any feedback starting out.

Reverbnation is getting very hard to navigate and use. The layout and design is all jumbled up and really would be a nice platform but I spend more time fumbling around with the site than actually getting any work done.

Internet DJ, Soundcloud, Myspace and Reverbnation all specialize in getting your audio uploaded and heard around the world and use various tools to help get your stuff heard.

I personally feel that NG should try and compete with some of the other Music sites because NG has the talent to pull it off. A huge user base and of course the best community out there. The mechanics of the audio uploading, ranking, voting etc. still seems to be in it's infancy.

While it's come a long way, the audio section of NG has the potential to be excellent and be well renowned by more than flash games and movies only.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 03:32 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 01:18 PM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/1/13 01:08 PM, stratkat wrote: I have put my music on ITunes, soundcloud, spotify, amazon mp3, google play, youtube, bandcamp, and loads of other places.
and you're still no one

(joking, but I think you don't need all those websites)

No worries, however I am trying.
Distributor charges a flat fee for itunes plus like 20 other stores, really I upload to them, they put it all over. So far it was a sound investment since I did make a profit after subtracting the initial fees. I've only had one album distributed, but I'll have future Lps released on that distributor for sure.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

@Strakat

Checked out your works (check review on Clockwork Calamity), good beats.
The fact is, commercializing this type of music isn't really a good thing. People today search for mainstream. Even if you find buyers, they won't be a lot. You'd need a time machine to get back 6-7 years in the past lol.

SUCK MY KICK

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

Well I upload them to soundcloud, youtube, NG and i have my own facebook page.

Soundcloud, the music player is better just like the way u comment but well i don't like the rest missing a community
Youtube, not so good eighter althoug u can reach a greater audience don't have much views yet maybe because I'm not so active on it.
Facebook, well right don't do anything with that actually
NG, spend most of the time on this one and i like the community still need a bit more listens, reviews, fans but i think i have the best change to because a bit bigger here.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 03:40 PM, Lachi wrote: @Strakat

Checked out your works (check review on Clockwork Calamity), good beats.
The fact is, commercializing this type of music isn't really a good thing. People today search for mainstream. Even if you find buyers, they won't be a lot. You'd need a time machine to get back 6-7 years in the past lol.

Thanks for checking it out:3
I lease to game companies rarely, most being modern retro games. I've found a small fanbase, see cloudkicker on my bandcamp, it's probably the best example of me at my best.

I have thought about making a separate project for dubstep/more modern stuff, it would take a bit of practice though.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

Most music I upload on Newgrounds is for Newgrounds only. Any other music I make is usually stuff for an album I'm working on so it's on Bandcamp.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:26 PM Reply

I have a soundcloud but I never use it. I mostly use my own website, and YouTube. You can find that stuff in my sig.

If you can't use your own website, I'd suggest YouTube, SoundCloud and Bandcamp.

I think that more people are inclined to watch a video on YouTube (even though there isn't much of a video) than sit on a site like SoundCloud just listening.

I also found that if you do a screen capture of your music playing in your DAW makes it more interesting for people to watch/listen and will gain you more followers :)

There is also the Image-Line forums where they allow song advertisements on their BBS. Not sure if you have to be a FL Studio user or not to use it but that's the whole point :P

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:58 PM Reply

Soundcloud, YouTube, NG. NG is my main place for music uploads, Soundcloud I use on a less regular basis, and YT... well, I haven't uploaded there in quite a while, and I'm trying to reserve that channel for MVs, if I can make any.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
TheHeartgrinder
TheHeartgrinder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Is Newgrounds my favorite creative outlet? It most certainly is.

I love having a more intimate relationship with what little fan base I have. It really opens things up in terms of market research. That, and it makes your availability for collaboration much better than other sites.

Well before I even had dreams of music and a connection to the listener, I enjoyed the freedom of Newgrounds. The only censorship that exists on this site, is that of the users. No taboo subjects are thrown away as invalid. Only shitty content is discarded. It's an environment I feel more than comfortable surviving in creatively.

It really lets the content itself stand on its own.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:59 AM Reply

I think about soundcloud. Maybe reverbnation.

I used to have a little turf on modarchive created back in 2001 but it got little visitors so I left, plus the downside is it only allows module. Also, used to share my non module/tracker-made music on forums, IRC and torrent; I'm a bit old school.

ToxInjection
ToxInjection
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:02 PM Reply

The only other place I upload music on is Soundcloud, and even then, I'm not nearly as well known on Soundcloud than I am here (and seeing as how I'm still pretty much no one here, that's saying something.) Like someone else said above, the approach that Soundcloud has for uploading music is really nice, but I feel like my work gets noticed a lot faster on here than over there.

I'll put myself on Youtube when I become more popular. I don't really think I'm justified just yet for going as far as to putting myself out there like that. That, and not confident enough yet either. Perhaps in a few years time, depending on how my production level rises as times goes by.

INJECT yourself with some of these TOXic tunes! Get it, because tox-...I'm sorry:

Newgrounds Uploads | Soundcloud! :D

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:17 PM Reply

Newgrounds and Soundcloud are the only places I upload to for the time being. Once in a blue moon I'll post a song on Facebook, but most people do not have an appreciation for the type of music I produce. I have tried using Last.fm, but honestly I haven't seen any real activity taking place there. I have considered Bandcamp and Youtube as outlets.

When it all comes down to it though, Newgrounds is my go-to site due to the community.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:26 PM Reply

There used to be a fantastic music site called garageband.com (which no longer exists). To submit audio, you were required to leave 10 reviews for other artists.The reviews had a bunch of criteria based on quality, review length, etc -- no "OMG EPIC LOL" would fly there. I remember uploading a couple of my older tracks and getting fantastic feedback (both positive and critical), and grew a lot as a composer because of it. Sadly, no trace of the site remains...

Nowadays, I post to Soundcloud, Youtube, LinkedIn, my own website (using Soundcloud), Audiojungle (rough reject tracks), and Newgrounds on occasion. There are so many sites out there, it's hard to keep up-to-date with all of them.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:36 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:26 PM, DavidOrr wrote: There are so many sites out there, it's hard to keep up-to-date with all of them.

Which is why I currently stick exclusively to NG.

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:15 PM Reply

Lol this reminds me. A year back or something I used to be addicted to searching for music distributing sites; so I made accounts a bunch of weird sites which I even forgot their names lol.

Anyway, YouTube's community was awesome to me (I guess it's just your luck)! YouTube has a great community if you know where to look, and you get a lot of casual listeners and dedicated fans. Also the visual aspect to it is really good; it would be awesome if Newgrounds allowed you to upload a video to go with a song!

Soundcloud, as others have said, has a great commenting system; the only downfall is that artists begin feeling that having more comments = better music. Not very useful for beginners, really difficult to get attention.

Reverbnation... I'm not even sure why I still use that, it's completely pointless. It does have an advantage though, which is that many "big guys" use reverbnation to find upcoming talent, so if you're talented then use it!! :D

And finally, Newgrounds. For me, Newgrounds is just a community of artists (NOT listeners) where we can help each other improve and where we can give each other constructive feedback. If you're inactive here then your simply not known. Whereas a few years back it used to make people "popular" (such as dimrain), I feel like it's just become a hub for producers and composers to discuss topic (like this! :]) Also, yeah if you get your music into a game then you're all set for more attention :p

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where else do you upload music? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:24 AM Reply

SoundCloud and AudioJungle. Newgrounds has been a useful outlet; its community seems fundamentally unparalleled.

BBS Signature