New Topic Respond to this Topic
Astral-Coder
Astral-Coder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Too late to become a programmer? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:12 AM Reply

Hello, I wanted to pick programming up as a profession. I have some experience with AS 3.0, C++, java, and VB. I wouldn't consider myself an expert using these though.

My main question, is it possible to pick programming up as a profession in your 20's or even 30's? I've been led to believe that you have to start programming at a very young age 11- 16, to become a good programmer.

Am I too late to learn programming and to pick it up as a profession at 22?

Thanks for reading, have a good day. :]

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Too late to become a programmer? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 07:16 AM Reply

I went back to uni at the ripe-old age of 23 to study computing, specifically with becoming a programmer in mind. I walked into that university knowing nothing* at all about programming. The first year was a real struggle, but I studied hard and practised every single day. It was tough to see some students pick it up with ease, but I put that down to being out of education for 5 years. In fact, if anything, it motived me more.

Now, and I'm not bragging because my uni isn't exactly renowned for it's computer science department, I would put myself at the top 5%-10% of the class when it comes to programming. I still have a lot to learn, however.

It's crazy to think that in June I will have a degree, but it feels like at the moment I haven't achieved enough. Looking back to where I was three years ago though shows I've achieved everything I wanted.

It's cliche advice, but you can do whatever you want if you set your mind to it. Sadly too many people sit back and expect to be spoon-fed everything- that is just not possible when it comes to programming.

*my last qualification in regards to anything computing related was a grade E GCSE in ICT when I was 16.

#coys

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Too late to become a programmer? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 07:19 AM Reply

That's not to say you HAVE to go back to education in order to learn. Some people (you'll find these guys are the minority) have become very successful by teaching themselves. The recipe for success is the same, though. Study and practice hard every single day.

#coys

BBS Signature