Be a Supporter!

Government Cutting Funding To Nasa

  • 1,185 Views
  • 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 03:01 PM Reply

These video's come from Neil deGrasse Tyson. These video's go into the important's of NASA and how the government keeps cutting money from it. The government says we don't have the money for NASA. Yet we have the money to spend on wasteful programs that don't work many of which cost as must as a 100 billion dollars or more a year. So cut money from these wasteful programs instead of NASA. Does anyone actual know how little we spend on NASA. Its a half a penny on a dollar. If we can afford a trillion dollars on a wasteful war in Iraq which got us nothing, then I think we can afford NASA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFO2usVjfQc

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 03:01 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFO2usVjfQc

Space? Fuck that! We've brown kids to kill and money to give out to corporations! Don't be silly.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 03:29 PM Reply

I think NASA should be privatized!! The Free Hand will make space flight as cheap as possible!

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 03:29 PM, Saen wrote: I think NASA should be privatized!! The Free Hand will make space flight as cheap as possible!

A large deal of this NASA gets credit for is already done by private industry anyways.

Aside from that, we do have several private industry companies who surpass NASA as well. Virgin Galactic being one. Went from concept, to the border of space in about 10 years. NASA hasn't been back to the moon in ~45 years. And private industry has already made private space travel a possibility.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 05:43 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Aside from that, we do have several private industry companies who surpass NASA as well. Virgin Galactic being one. Went from concept, to the border of space in about 10 years. NASA hasn't been back to the moon in ~45 years. And private industry has already made private space travel a possibility.

Mere space travel hasn't been scientifically relevant since the early 1970's.

On top of that, Virgin pulled a China and merely copied off the advances others had worked very hard to do.

If you're looking to say private industry is doing better than NASA, show me a private company that has landed anything on a different planet.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:07 PM, Camarohusky wrote: If you're looking to say private industry is doing better than NASA, show me a private company that has landed anything on a different planet.

Not to say NASA ain't awesome, because it's about as ball-tinglingly awesome as it gets, but Space-X's Dragon capsule is already successfully ferrying supplies to the ISS and is slated to be hauling human passengers to the ISS within a few years.

People generally misunderstand Government's role in big-think projects like space travel and bleeding-edge research. For shit as big as putting people in space, or shotputting a $2-billion nuclear-powered automated laboratory 354 million miles which provides little-to-no immediate ROI, only Government can fund that. Once they break through, only then can private industry take on the risks of that frontier.

Look at rail. It was an economic risk of epic proportions in the frontier days. No private industry would or could fund such a thing. But once the government paid for the first set of lines, private industry took over and it changed the face of America. Similarly (though it took longer) here, now that government has basically pioneered the technology necessary to explore space, private industry will slowly take over until they dominate and government will move on to the next big thing too risky for private industry.


Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:44 PM Reply

The Government taking the ax to NASA isn't exactly new. We had some massive budget cuts early in Obama's first term.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:07 PM, Camarohusky wrote: If you're looking to say private industry is doing better than NASA, show me a private company that has landed anything on a different planet.

Boeing and Lockheed Martin designed and built the Curiosity Mars rover.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:27 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 11:00 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Boeing and Lockheed Martin designed and built the Curiosity Mars rover.

With NASA's money and direction (as well as the input and design of numerous university faculties). Just because private firms did the leg work doesn't mean they deserve the credit.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 01:27 AM, Camarohusky wrote: With NASA's money and direction (as well as the input and design of numerous university faculties). Just because private firms did the leg work doesn't mean they deserve the credit.

NASA contributed YOUR money.

As with any other govt. contract, an agency says "We need a _____ that does x, y and z". Whoever comes up with the best idea gets the money to build it. That's how it works.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:08 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 11:53 AM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/1/13 01:27 AM, Camarohusky wrote: With NASA's money and direction (as well as the input and design of numerous university faculties). Just because private firms did the leg work doesn't mean they deserve the credit.
NASA contributed YOUR money.

As with any other govt. contract, an agency says "We need a _____ that does x, y and z". Whoever comes up with the best idea gets the money to build it. That's how it works.

No our money was clearly worthless, why else would he call it NASA's money? They had their own, they didn't use tax payer money, you didn't build it.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:42 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote: No our money was clearly worthless, why else would he call it NASA's money? They had their own, they didn't use tax payer money, you didn't build it.

The companies get funding from NASA who gets thier money out of your paycheck.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:42 PM, LemonCrush wrote: The companies get funding from NASA who gets thier money out of your paycheck.

Good. Take more.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:42 PM, LemonCrush wrote: The companies get funding from NASA who gets thier money out of your paycheck.

You don't want NASA? Send them to Canada. They'll be a great addition to the CSA. A lot of people here would be happy to pay for them.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:50 PM, Feoric wrote: Good. Take more.

It's weird you say that.

I'm pretty sure in every culture on earth, thievery is illegal...

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 02:18 PM, LemonCrush wrote: It's weird you say that.

I'm pretty sure in every culture on earth, thievery is illegal...

Not paying for the services you use which are provided to you by the government is also thievery.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:32 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 02:26 PM, Feoric wrote: Not paying for the services you use which are provided to you by the government is also thievery.

I don't use said services (medicare, Social Security, section 8, public transporation, etc). And the services they DO provide are underfunded.

See, I was under the impression (because of the constitution), that tax funds are supposed to be used for the general welfare of the people. Which is fine. I have no problem paying for roads or schools. But is killing kids in Pakistan, or protection for multi-million dollar corporations, part of "general welfare"?

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 02:32 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
I don't use said services (medicare, Social Security, section 8, public transporation, etc). And the services they DO provide are underfunded.

The sheer act of just living in America means you use items and services on a daily basis that taxpayer money has paid for. Saying "I won't use these items" is not an option. The items purchased by tax revenue are necessary to just about every facet of our daily lives.

See, I was under the impression (because of the constitution), that tax funds are supposed to be used for the general welfare of the people. Which is fine. I have no problem paying for roads or schools. But is killing kids in Pakistan, or protection for multi-million dollar corporations, part of "general welfare"?

That would be under the "provide for the common defense" part.

Then the question becomes "well is killing kids necessary for the defense of the nation?" Well that's a very loaded way of asking the question, as killing kids isn't the primary objective.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 02:38 PM, Feoric wrote: The sheer act of just living in America means you use items and services on a daily basis that taxpayer money has paid for. Saying "I won't use these items" is not an option. The items purchased by tax revenue are necessary to just about every facet of our daily lives.

No, it's not. It's not part of my daily life. A fatcat CEO at GM has no bearing on my existence whatsoever. A meager check send to a retired old lady, benefits me in no way.

The US is not a collectivist society.

Then the question becomes "well is killing kids necessary for the defense of the nation?" Well that's a very loaded way of asking the question, as killing kids isn't the primary objective.

Exactly. So let's just....stop.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 02:49 PM, LemonCrush wrote: No, it's not. It's not part of my daily life. A fatcat CEO at GM has no bearing on my existence whatsoever. A meager check send to a retired old lady, benefits me in no way.

And somewhere there is a police officer arresting a criminal who just committed a crime. By your logic we should just allow gang members or the Mafia to protect our communities, rather than the police.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 04:21 PM, Feoric wrote: And somewhere there is a police officer arresting a criminal who just committed a crime. By your logic we should just allow gang members or the Mafia to protect our communities, rather than the police.

No, I have no problem paying for police, because they benefit everyone.

I do have a problem with paying for murdering people overseas, and I have a problem with paying for corporations getting billions while the rest of us eat shit.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:21 PM Reply

Seriously people how much money do you think you can get from cutting NASA. Cut large amounts of money from those wasteful programs that cost like a hundred billion dollars a year. That will save you a shit more money then you could ever get from cutting NASA.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:43 PM Reply

Has any one even bothered to watch the videos?

Oh and to LemonCrush. Please, enough of your hate/trolling bull shit. For once bring something useful to the discussion instead of just bitching and complaining all the time.

GamesArmor
GamesArmor
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:21 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Seriously people how much money do you think you can get from cutting NASA. Cut large amounts of money from those wasteful programs that cost like a hundred billion dollars a year. That will save you a shit more money then you could ever get from cutting NASA.

I agree with this, but since the thread is about NASA...

I also think cutting funding to NASA would be a good idea. Honestly, space-travel is cool, but it does not serve any practical purpose at all. Could an important discovery be made that could advance technology? Yes. But the chances of that are incredibly slim.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:57 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:43 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Oh and to LemonCrush. Please, enough of your hate/trolling bull shit. For once bring something useful to the discussion instead of just bitching and complaining all the time.

"Wah, someone doesn't share the same opinions as me. Boo hoo"

Fuck off. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so...

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:57 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/2/13 02:43 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Oh and to LemonCrush. Please, enough of your hate/trolling bull shit. For once bring something useful to the discussion instead of just bitching and complaining all the time.
"Wah, someone doesn't share the same opinions as me. Boo hoo"

Fuck off. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so...

I don't mind people having different opinions from me. The thing that I dislike is the fact that you never bring anything to the discussion. You don't show us links or make good point to your arguments. All you do is bitch about how every one and everything in the world sucks and make smart ass comments like this "Space? Fuck that! We've brown kids to kill and money to give out to corporations! Don't be silly."

In no way did that bring anything of relevant important's to the discussion. The only thing it could do is annoy other people which is why I called you a troll. As for the hate part that's pretty much been your only message hate and complain about everything. Instead of coming up with a practical solution to a problem your policy is to just bitch and complain about the problem.

There I've explained why I said what I said so until you bring more then just your hate/trolling bull shit then I wont bother to respond to any more of your posts.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:43 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 01:38 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: There I've explained why I said what I said so until you bring more then just your hate/trolling bull shit then I wont bother to respond to any more of your posts.

Agreed. Lemoncrush doesn't debate as much as he just denies. I've ignored him for the same reason, you go through a cycle of bullshit all for essentially nothing discussing the same things every topic. The strange part is that every topic he doesn't say anything different, he says the same thing every topic and focuses it on how much he hates Obama. Essentially talking with him goes like this "Lemon Crush makes insane claim" "Person A responds to LemonCrush saying he's wrong and explains why" "LemonCrush responds by calling it bullshit and says that whereas he gets his information from actual professionals they get theirs from warmongers and liars" and it goes from the last two back and forth. The 3rd claim gives him wiggle room, he can continue to deny what you say on the basis that it's part of one vast conspiracy by the government to brainwash them while making insane claims. He also denies he loses any argument despite falling back on the "Your information comes from liars and warmongers" line like seriously every time. It's a weird intellectual gymnastic to deny any information that is contrary to his view (I'd refrain from calling him a Libertarian, but you see this not only with other Libertarians but also with Communists who deny the failings of the USSR), but arguing with him is a waste of time for now, because once he realizes his position is untenable radicals like him go either admit they were wrong and change their views accordingly or they become even more radical and delusional. LemonCrush is going more the 2nd option.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 01:38 PM, Jmayer20 wrote:
There I've explained why I said what I said so until you bring more then just your hate/trolling bull shit then I wont bother to respond to any more of your posts.

Dude. It's a INTERNET FORUM. ON NEWGROUNDS

I'm not "hate/trolling" just because you don't like what I say. You like the the way I say things. So what.

ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:43 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: bring something useful to the discussion instead of just bitching and complaining all the time.

Nice alt, hypocrite.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Government Cutting Funding To Nasa Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:28 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 12:45 AM, ohbombuh wrote:
At 2/2/13 02:43 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: bring something useful to the discussion instead of just bitching and complaining all the time.
Nice alt, hypocrite.

Hypocrite?! Could you explain how you came to that conclusion? Do you even know what a hypocrite is? Because's I have brought many things to this topic. Other then the fact that I started this topic I have brought up links to websites that talk about this issue. I explained how much we spend on NASA. So I have brought many useful things to this discussion. LemonCrush has brought nothing. So what have YOU brought to this discussion?