Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
I support this bill! 2013-01-31 13:54:48 Reply

linky

A Montana lawmaker wants to give convicted criminals the option of taking corporeal punishment over prison time.

for misdemeanors this would be perfect! it would free up a a portion of the prison system by giving the convicted the option to take a beating rather than rot in a prison cell.

the big thing here would be that the prisoners have the option to sit in prison, or take their licks and go about their life.

I see no problem with it.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to I support this bill! 2013-01-31 15:53:23 Reply

This only works if you believe deterrence is the primary goal, and primary effect of the current penal system.

I, for one, do not. Incapacitation is the primary goal and primary effect of the penal system. Criminals, espeically ones who have already 'broken the seal' are prone to doing it again, regardless of the punsihment. What benefit incarceration has is that the crimnal is physically incapable of committing more crimes (on the general public) for that period of time.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to I support this bill! 2013-01-31 15:56:24 Reply

This only works if you believe deterrence is the primary goal, and primary effect of the current penal system.

I, for one, do not. Incapacitation is the primary goal and primary effect of the penal system. Criminals, espeically ones who have already 'broken the seal' are prone to doing it again, regardless of the punsihment. What benefit incarceration has is that the crimnal is physically incapable of committing more crimes (on the general public) for that period of time.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to I support this bill! 2013-02-02 00:34:22 Reply

At 1/31/13 03:53 PM, Camarohusky wrote: This only works if you believe deterrence is the primary goal, and primary effect of the current penal system.

Also, most criminals are past the age where this would be that effective of a punishment. In fact, with some who come from abusive homes the humiliation could make them either go from petty crime to violent or in the case of misdemeanor domestic violence...take the violence up a level or two.

I agree. When criminals serve their time they come out of prison with the same lack of skills...or what skill they had going in have degraded (hell...the people who made Skyrim know this!).

I think we should make education and job skills part of serving one's prison sentence. If you go in without a high school diploma...you have a prison high school (not GED) program. If you've got that...perhaps you leave with an associate's degree. Find jobs and offer economic incentives to employers to intern trustee prisoners so that they can develope a work history that could mitigate the fact that they have a prison history.

We've got to do something real...and not just show-boat ideas that do nothing more than get some politician name recognition!

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995... " I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature