Be a Supporter!
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 08:47 AM Reply

So here's what I don't get. Everytime the conservatives want to talk about homosexuals or morality decline, their argument goes strait to the Bible. So where is the Word of God in the argument about gun control? Why do we not hear "beat your swords into plowshares"? "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"? "Turn the other cheek"? "Though shalt not kill"?

Now, I'm not Christian anymore, but I still believe in religion, and I can't accept people who use obscure quotes from their religious texts to stomp on human rights one second (homosex) and then completely ignore the most important and repeated tenants of their faith when it applies to themselves (guns). You can't just take the parts you like and ignore the rest. (there's probably a Bible quote about that too)

ASV Headquarters

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 08:47 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: So here's what I don't get. Everytime the conservatives want to talk about homosexuals or morality decline, their argument goes strait to the Bible. So where is the Word of God in the argument about gun control? Why do we not hear "beat your swords into plowshares"? "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"? "Turn the other cheek"? "Though shalt not kill"?

Now, I'm not Christian anymore, but I still believe in religion, and I can't accept people who use obscure quotes from their religious texts to stomp on human rights one second (homosex) and then completely ignore the most important and repeated tenants of their faith when it applies to themselves (guns). You can't just take the parts you like and ignore the rest. (there's probably a Bible quote about that too)

You don't understand the difference between people who cherry pick lines from the bible and people who are Christian? There is a big difference, one has an agenda and one has a religion.

Exodus 22:2-3 "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed. If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution; if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft."

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe"

Luke 22:36
âEUoeBut now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Psalm 144:1
Of David. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

1 Samuel 13:19-20
Now there was no blacksmith to be found throughout all the land of Israel, for the Philistines said, âEUoeLest the Hebrews make themselves swords or spears.âEU But every one of the Israelites went down to the Philistines to sharpen his plowshare, his mattock, his axe, or his sickle

Mark 3:27
But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

I think those are some right?

Anyway turn the other cheek doesn't mean to put yourself in the position of danger, it is telling people not to exact vengeance upon people.

Because
"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

Christianity isn't about pacifism.

Murder =/= Killing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_shall_not_murder

It is more about translation and then looking at the actual text.

Anyway, no need to use the bible at all, because we have laws in our country. And we have rights, rights that the government according to these laws shall not infringe upon.

Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:40 AM Reply

How about we stop the mindset of believing that just because something is old that it can't ever be questioned? A lot of tradition is just ancestral baggage.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 08:47 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: Now, I'm not Christian anymore, but I still believe in religion, and I can't accept people who use obscure quotes from their religious texts to stomp on human rights one second (homosex) and then completely ignore the most important and repeated tenants of their faith when it applies to themselves (guns).

There's nothing wrong with Christianity. If christians actually practiced Christ's teachings, and got rid of all that savage Jewish mythology, it wouldn't be so bad.

Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 08:47 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: I can't accept people who use obscure quotes from their religious texts to stomp on human rights one second (homosex)

"Obscure quotes"? What do you mean by this? The Bible unarguably condemns homosexual relations. I can think of a couple verses off-hand, as a matter of fact (a result of repeatedly arguing with ignorant supporters/opposers of gay marriage).

Romans 1:26
1 Cor. 6:9
Jude 1:7
1 Tim. 1:10
Excluding the widely misunderstood laws of Moses and essentially the entire Old Testament.

While I vehemently disagree with the behavior of most Christians when presented with the issue of homosexuality, the Scriptures make it abundantly clear that sexual perversions including but not limited to sodomy are not to be acceptable behaviors. It cannot be argued, from a religious perspective, that "homosexuals" deserve "rights" simply because homosexuality is an action - not an attribute.

and then completely ignore the most important and repeated tenants of their faith when it applies to themselves (guns). You can't just take the parts you like and ignore the rest. (there's probably a Bible quote about that too)

Firstly, the concept of "living by the sword" is not only a warning against trusting weapons more than God, but against vengeance and aggression. It is not, by any means, condemning self-defense. Also, the commandment "thou shalt not kill" is unanimously agreed to be translated to English as "thou shalt not murder". There are many cases where God uses someone to protect others and/or defend themselves. Would you like me to list some off the top of my head?

David, Samson, Jael (female!), Moses, Gideon, The Two Witnesses

It is true that a prevailing message of Jesus is peace and non-violence. But, do not be mistaken. The Bible is not condoning pacifism. Moreover, the most important responsibility a man is given is to protect his family. Guns are practical, reliable self-defense mechanisms when given to a mature and sensible individual.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 04:01 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 08:47 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
"Though shalt not kill"?

"Oh that's from the Old Testament it doesn't matter." Fucking Christians who say that type of shit make me vomit.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Gods and Guns Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 04:12 PM Reply

All arguments from religion are insane. Why do you expect insane people to suddenly be consistent? All they care about is the status quo. Whatever culture was at the time they were born is what they want to protect.

They don't give a fuck about the bible, Jesus, the constitution or making sense. They just want it to be like it was "in the good old days" which changes every generation and which is why they're always 30-40 years behind on every issue.

But if they really were all about religion then they're be like 1500-2500 years behind so I guess we can't complain TOO much : D

At 1/31/13 09:56 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
You don't understand the difference between people who cherry pick lines from the bible and people who are Christian? There is a big difference, one has an agenda and one has a religion.

There's probably never been a "real" Christian in the history of ever. Not even Jesus followed his own advice or the old books. Btw there wasn't even a bible for him to follow back then, not for like 400 years.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Gods and Guns Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 03:19 PM Reply

I think I get where you're coming from. Whenever people use the 1st Amendment, its an attack on religion. However when any form of gun control is brought up, the 2nd Amendment is used on a GRAND SCALE!

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature