New Topic Respond to this Topic
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 10:21 AM Reply

http://www.timesofisrael.com/london-council-set-to-remove-an ti-semitic-mural-showing-jewish-bankers/

The gist of it is, some people with victim complex thought the people featured in the picture matched the stereotype for Jews and there for, must have been a shot at Jews. By the looks of it, there is really no grounds for them to base that claim on. Still, the people who made it are now being ordered to take it down based on this flimsy claim.

I don't agree with the ideas that the people who made it are trying to convey, they have that lefty rhetoric of class and privilege making you a lesser person and all that bull shit, but why accuse them of racism? What if the mural were say, a riot with a massive crowd of people looting shops and throwing things at cops, would some one stand up and say "these people are clearly trying to say something about black people"? I'm thinking that this paranoid way of thinking is the real racism here.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 10:22 AM Reply

probably should have done this in the first post but here's the actual mural.

Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 10:28 AM Reply

oh god who gave alex jones and david icke artistic skills? and yes anti-semetic.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 1/30/13 10:28 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: oh god who gave alex jones and david icke artistic skills? and yes anti-semetic.

I'd say it has some weird mix of Alex Jones and Cenk Uygur written all over it, but still fail to see why people are calling it anti-semetic.

BBS Signature
DickChick
DickChick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 11:10 AM Reply

The only way it could be seen as racist to me would require some racism on the part of the viewer (the beards, the fact that bankers are depicted).

I'm fairly certain that the artist meant to depict old white men using banks to exert control over poor people or something like that. The Jew thing is a flimsy excuse to order the mural to be taken down, good old London with its free speech and whatnot.

Just a chick with a dick.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 12:34 PM Reply

I like it, makes a boring bland wall intresting

I vote to keep it, but I aint a Londoner

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 12:35 PM Reply

But, they all have big noses....

In all reality the picture itself has no overtly anti-semetic overtones. I can see how someone (both a Jew and an anti-semite) could see anti-semetism.

Perhaps a local Brit can clue us in. For all we know there may be some specific English symbolism for Jews that is heavily present here.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

Maybe it was a Luddite that wants it taken down due to the gears and the nuclear cooling towers. They just made up the antisemitic shit because that clearly isn't present.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 01:21 PM Reply

It's not anti-semetic. It's just ugly and stupid

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 1/30/13 12:35 PM, Camarohusky wrote: But, they all have big noses....

I guarantee you that on human scale my nose is bigger than any of theirs.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 1/30/13 10:51 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 1/30/13 12:35 PM, Camarohusky wrote: But, they all have big noses....
I guarantee you that on human scale my nose is bigger than any of theirs.

Lets see wealthy people with big noses (a Jewish stereotype) They are playing monopoly on the the backs of people. (And are wealthy OR maybe greedy (Jewish stereotype)
Crap about "world order" and it being the enemy of humanity.. is a typical anti-Semite line.

The money in the back ground symbolizing once again greed or wealth, its pretty bad.

But worst of all it is REALLY ugly..

Preternatural
Preternatural
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Programmer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Well then, if it is anti-semitic, and I'm not saying it is, is it a bad thing?

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 06:45 AM Reply

At 1/30/13 11:10 AM, DickChick wrote: I'm fairly certain that the artist meant to depict old white men using banks to exert control over poor people or something like that. The Jew thing is a flimsy excuse to order the mural to be taken down, good old London with its free speech and whatnot.

;;;;
Exactly !
The truth hurts & the truth is a very few white guy's are exploiting people all over this planet.
Their policies of greed , perpetuate poverty for the masses & they hate anyone pointing it out.

THe mural IMO needs a couple more things in it, cops beating protesters & government officials bowing down to the money controlers sitting around the board !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 1/30/13 11:10 AM, DickChick wrote: The only way it could be seen as racist to me would require some racism on the part of the viewer (the beards, the fact that bankers are depicted).

I'm fairly certain that the artist meant to depict old white men using banks to exert control over poor people or something like that. The Jew thing is a flimsy excuse to order the mural to be taken down, good old London with its free speech and whatnot.

If anti semitism wasn't the goal, then the noses wouldn't have been drawn like that honestly.

Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 1/30/13 10:22 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: probably should have done this in the first post but here's the actual mural.

I don't think there's anything overtly anti semetic there.. it's pretty pseudo-conspiracy theorist esk, and it's pretty cheesy in what it's trying to say, but racist? Not at all. If we're going to have freedom of speech than I think they have every right to draw something like this.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:10 PM, Fim wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:22 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: probably should have done this in the first post but here's the actual mural.
I don't think there's anything overtly anti semetic there.. it's pretty pseudo-conspiracy theorist esk, and it's pretty cheesy in what it's trying to say, but racist? Not at all. If we're going to have freedom of speech than I think they have every right to draw something like this.

A mural painted on a wall in East London depicting Jewish bankers apparently exploiting black men is set to be removed following complaints that it has anti-Semitic undertones.

The council of the London borough of Tower Hamlets has called in the police and reportedly given the owner of the property 28 days to remove it.

The mural, titled Freedom for Humanity, depicts a group of businessmen and bankers counting money around a Monopoly-style board balanced on the backs of men with dark complexions. It was reportedly spray-painted on private property.

The Los Angeles-based artist, Kalen Ockerman, acknowledged that some of the bankers were Jewish but said the mural was not anti-Semitic.

You are so full of it.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 2/3/13 12:08 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
A mural painted on a wall in East London depicting Jewish bankers apparently exploiting black men is set to be removed following complaints that it has anti-Semitic undertones.

The council of the London borough of Tower Hamlets has called in the police and reportedly given the owner of the property 28 days to remove it.

The mural, titled Freedom for Humanity, depicts a group of businessmen and bankers counting money around a Monopoly-style board balanced on the backs of men with dark complexions. It was reportedly spray-painted on private property.

The Los Angeles-based artist, Kalen Ockerman, acknowledged that some of the bankers were Jewish but said the mural was not anti-Semitic.

You are so full of it.

1. the men under the board have varying complexions and are actually being shadowed by the board.

2. if there is a mix of Jewish and non Jewish bankers, then its not targeting them.

3. using ad homina in your arguments against people who have nothing against you doesn't just hurt your case, it makes you look like an asshole.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:02 AM Reply

Since when do only Jews have beards? I do see Jewish stars or yamakas on any of them. In fact, if you asked me, they were probably just trying to imitate how God is sometimes represented with the facial hair. Wait, does that mean God is Jewish?

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:56 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 12:57 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
You are so full of it.
3. using ad homina in your arguments against people who have nothing against you doesn't just hurt your case, it makes you look like an asshole.

Yeah if I was Fim, that last line would have ticked me off and completely ruined any hope of decent e-discussion with you. You should avoid doing this stuff, although we all do it I suppose.

Also 4, you should have cited your source, it's not much effort

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 11:02 AM, Ericho wrote: Since when do only Jews have beards? I do see Jewish stars or yamakas on any of them. In fact, if you asked me, they were probably just trying to imitate how God is sometimes represented with the facial hair. Wait, does that mean God is Jewish?

his son was, so probably.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:18 PM Reply

Also 4, you should have cited your source, it's not much effort

I fucking quoted the ARTICLE

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 11:02 AM, Ericho wrote: Since when do only Jews have beards? I do see Jewish stars or yamakas on any of them. In fact, if you asked me, they were probably just trying to imitate how God is sometimes represented with the facial hair. Wait, does that mean God is Jewish?

Because the fucking artist admitted they were Jewish.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 02:19 PM, Ceratisa wrote:

"The Los Angeles-based artist, Kalen Ockerman, acknowledged that some of the bankers were Jewish but said the mural was not anti-Semitic."

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 02:38 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 2/3/13 02:19 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
"The Los Angeles-based artist, Kalen Ockerman, acknowledged that some of the bankers were Jewish but said the mural was not anti-Semitic."

so rich powerful jewish people playing on the backs of others. And he makes the distinction some are jewish. But because he says it was not anti-Semitic it isn't?

I'm sure other racists can tell you they aren't racist as well.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:30 PM Reply

If I drew slant eyed men, or black face it would be deemed offensive. The use of stereotypes to depict white males and Jews are running the world on the backs of others. Meanwhile another is excluded on the side with a child.

If you draw stereotypes and then depict the stereotyped group in a negative fashion how is this not offensive?

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:05 PM Reply

The url for this thread is pretty 1337 btw

In fact it is almost the 1337iezt

Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:49 PM Reply

You are so full of it.

Wooooooooooh. Calm down sunshine, no need to go all keyboard warrior on me

My point was, it's not OVERTLY anti-semetic, you need to bring your own prejudices to the table in order to assume they are Jewish since it isn't obvious, or explained. If the bankers had all been bearing a star of david it would be different.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:49 PM, Fim wrote:
You are so full of it.
Wooooooooooh. Calm down sunshine, no need to go all keyboard warrior on me

My point was, it's not OVERTLY anti-semetic, you need to bring your own prejudices to the table in order to assume they are Jewish since it isn't obvious, or explained. If the bankers had all been bearing a star of david it would be different.

Just because you aren't aware of a stereotype doesn't mean others aren't, it doesn't really matter if you deem it offensive unless you are the party it was aimed at. If I drew slant eyed or other stereotypes people would be freaking out.

The people backing this up are the same kind of people who cry racism when someone says they don't like Obama.

Magyar
Magyar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:14 AM Reply

Why are some people here blaming Alex Jones, he blames every BUT the Jews. He is probably the most pro-Zionist conspiracy theorist out there, even if you neglect the demonisation he gets from the far-right of the politically aligned "truthers" the centrally aligned also call him out for avoiding to mention any Jews even when they are in the thick of it.

Memorize
Memorize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Mural in London deemed Anti Semetic Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:20 PM Reply

So Jewish people are saying the stereotypes are... true?