New Topic Respond to this Topic
LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Drawing advice 2013-01-29 16:25:59 Reply

Ok, so I just use the pen/line tool to make smooth outlines, then color/shade it in using the paintbrush and my tablet. Is there anyone who uses a tablet to draw the outlines? I tried but it looks crappy:/ so if anyone knows how to do it better, or if I should just do what I've been doing, please let me know. MUCH THANKS!

Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-29 18:59:03 Reply

At 1/29/13 04:25 PM, LeffsHanid wrote: Ok, so I just use the pen/line tool to make smooth outlines, then color/shade it in using the paintbrush and my tablet. Is there anyone who uses a tablet to draw the outlines? I tried but it looks crappy:/ so if anyone knows how to do it better, or if I should just do what I've been doing, please let me know. MUCH THANKS!

For backgrounds or objects larger than what fits on my screen (I draw zoomed in), using the line tool for outlines is what I do. Sometimes I draw the outlines with the tablet too if I want more of a cartoony effect. How does it look crappy?

BBS Signature
LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-29 19:20:02 Reply

By crappy, I mean not smooth. If I use the brush tool with my tablet, it gets kinda... "jagged"? I guess? I know its probably due to an unsteady hand, but I'm not sure if I can correct this. I can control a regular pen or pencil just fine on paper, but the tablet just feels less natural to me.

Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-29 19:39:18 Reply

At 1/29/13 07:20 PM, LeffsHanid wrote: By crappy, I mean not smooth. If I use the brush tool with my tablet, it gets kinda... "jagged"? I guess? I know its probably due to an unsteady hand, but I'm not sure if I can correct this. I can control a regular pen or pencil just fine on paper, but the tablet just feels less natural to me.

Ah, you want to go to the properties panel and play around with your 'smoothing' setting I reckon.

BBS Signature
TrevorGuitar
TrevorGuitar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-29 20:46:36 Reply

At 1/29/13 07:20 PM, LeffsHanid wrote: By crappy, I mean not smooth. If I use the brush tool with my tablet, it gets kinda... "jagged"? I guess? I know its probably due to an unsteady hand, but I'm not sure if I can correct this. I can control a regular pen or pencil just fine on paper, but the tablet just feels less natural to me.

If you are using flash there is a smooth tool, every flash animator uses it. I can't remember the shortcut because its been a while. There is smooth and straighten, find out the shortcut for smooth and use it until you're satisfied. If you over-use it colors and stuff can mess up, like disappear and stuff. I haven't used flash for a few years so maybe there are some changes but probably for the better rather than the worse.

Using pencil for outlines makes it massively easier to color in your animation. Also, using transform on colored objects helps animate stuff by hand like slamming doors and stuff to a really great effect, rather than using standard tweens.

Anyways, smooth is the answer you're looking for.

animationoutsourced
animationoutsourced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-29 22:48:01 Reply

Anyways, smooth is the answer you're looking for.

totally agree with you.
Thanks for sharing.

Animation Outsourced Studios

www.animationoutsourced.com

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-30 04:11:49 Reply

Did you turn on pressure sensitivity for the brush? Its jagged when its off. Someone pointed out adjusting smoothing helps also. My smoothing setting is 45. It will not be perfect though. Sometimes you need to use the selecting tool and adjust by click + hold + drag an edge of a line.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-31 16:48:56 Reply

Thanks everyone for all your help, and usefull info. I have started to play with the smooth feature and I see the potential here. Not sure where to change the pen's pressure sensitivity, but I will search!

LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Drawing advice 2013-01-31 16:53:04 Reply

Wow, the smoothing feature is working pretty well. just got to play with it more, and get it solid. changing the pen sensitivity helps too. Thanks everybody!