DannyDaNinja
DannyDaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 07:30 AM Reply

This is the best update Newgrounds has done in a LONG time :D

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Pkmn2
Pkmn2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Animator
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 07:39 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:10 AM, sharpsknife wrote: awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?

If I understood correctly, the collab forum will stay for collabs with more specific information and bigger teams.

Nintentrix. Presto Sprites! Retro Sights!

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 08:49 AM Reply

At 1/29/13 05:43 PM, FightingSeraph wrote: Goddamn, Shouldn't we step back a bit to make sure that both Swivel and Collabinator are actually benificial instead of debilitating? You guys may have hated what I said, but honesty and skepticism are better than blind faith.

How IS NOT turning your video into a format anyone can view on any device not beneficial?

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 08:49 AM, MindChamber wrote: How IS NOT turning your video into a format anyone can view on any device not beneficial?

Well theoretically people could use it to completely leave NG for Youtube.
But it is good in pretty much every other way.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:33 PM Reply

I'm incredibly excited about Swivel. I haven't animated in a couple of years, but this is more than enough motivation. Thanks, guys. This is beyond awesome.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Pkmn2
Pkmn2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Animator
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 01:30 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Well theoretically people could use it to completely leave NG for Youtube.

Well, fuck. Never thought of that one before.

Nintentrix. Presto Sprites! Retro Sights!

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 03:17 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 01:30 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 1/31/13 08:49 AM, MindChamber wrote: How IS NOT turning your video into a format anyone can view on any device not beneficial?
Well theoretically people could use it to completely leave NG for Youtube.

That was happening anyway because NG didnt support video.. Swivel has nothing to do with that, and in fact its giving new flash animators that are just now starting to outgrow flash and its constraints an immediate option to post work here.

Swivel also serves as a form of advertisement for animator who have used the converter and now are seeing Newgrounds as an option for further exposure,,,

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 04:20 AM Reply

Ok... the NG Social button has been completely maxed out for optimum 'hairiness'.
The Collabinator want-ad setup is also a boon... but what about all those little bugs, like the secrets system, the obituary page, accidental double and triple posts (not everyone has a steady internet connection)? And, oh, the ability to post multiple images on our user pages?
Don't get me wrong, really glad I bought the supporter badge. Guess you'll have time to address these issues after the game's released (good luck with that, bruh!)

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
Celx-Requin
Celx-Requin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 07:45 AM Reply

I love you forever Tom, and Mike...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 04:56 AM, smulse wrote:
At 1/31/13 04:47 AM, Rawnern wrote: I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?
While we're reinventing physics, anything else you'd like us to change?

@smulse

Ok? What do you mean? There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.

smulse
smulse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 08:31 AM, Rawnern wrote: There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.

Yeah but it's not that simple. Even if you came close to being able to convert AS to JS/HTML5 it would never be perfect, and it would no doubt be buggy and have awful performance issues. The examples they provide are incredibly basic examples (aka, detect a key press), nothing more advanced than that.

Writing things in one language isn't interchangeable with another by running it through some convertor.

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 11:19 AM, smulse wrote:
At 2/2/13 08:31 AM, Rawnern wrote: There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.
Yeah but it's not that simple. Even if you came close to being able to convert AS to JS/HTML5 it would never be perfect, and it would no doubt be buggy and have awful performance issues. The examples they provide are incredibly basic examples (aka, detect a key press), nothing more advanced than that.

Writing things in one language isn't interchangeable with another by running it through some convertor.

I agree, but it works pretty good and it's still in a early developer phase. It does not support many of the elements Flash has. Hopefully it will become much better. (They add more and more...)

Though, games work really good afterward - I haven't seen any diffrence. Just some lag on older smartphones, but on iPad and newer it works great :)

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 12:38 PM Reply

Awesome feature additions. :)