RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 17:55:11 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:45 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 1/29/13 05:39 PM, RealFaction wrote: After this front page post is gone, how will we get to the Collabinator? Forgive me if I didnt see it in the text but I don't see it as a clickable option anywhere else currently. Will it be a button in the Project System, or an option under Community?

Gotcha, thanks!

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 17:56:19 Reply

i found an awesome artist on here but then when we met it turned out he was actually a programmer and I GTFO of there as fast as i could

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 18:11:02 Reply

I know its early days, and I don't want to be a guy who craps over an addition to the site that could really benefit, but:

In the future, would it be possible to distinguish between Projects and People doing self promotion?
I'm trying to filter through the things looking for projects that are looking for art, but instead most of the stuff is people who are up-for-anything.

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 18:29:21 Reply

At 1/29/13 02:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also C-Bot could have two heads, because two heads are better than one!

I am a male and I have two heads if you know what i mean LOLOL

Thanks liljim and Mike! Yuos aer teh bestest! ^_ ^

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 18:34:18 Reply

A much needed program and an excellent idea. Newgrounds really is a breeding ground for up and coming talent and to centralize potential collaborators is genius. Great work guys.

BBS Signature
Tiki-King
Tiki-King
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 19:19:19 Reply

Thats so awesome. Newgrounds is becoming better and better :D

Hey Tom, any news about your game? :)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 19:37:20 Reply

At 1/29/13 07:19 PM, Tiki-King wrote: Thats so awesome. Newgrounds is becoming better and better :D

Hey Tom, any news about your game? :)

Hoping for next week now!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 19:49:59 Reply

Hey, this is pretty nifty!

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:05:33 Reply

One thing I've noticed is a few people asking for mentoring help through the new feature. I'm not sure if it was intended for that, but there are perfectly good forums here that will help anyone who needs to learn something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the collab tool is for artists who want to get together and make something.

BBS Signature
Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:23:07 Reply

Haha, it's like a dating site...

BBS Signature
KingDavid
KingDavid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:35:42 Reply

great stuff tom!! Go newgrounds!!

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:41:39 Reply

I love the collabinator, though in checking it out I feel it needs to be slightly more specific in some areas, IE include subcategories similar to music.

FOR EXAMPLE, in looking for writers, something I actually would love to be able to do, I have no way of finding people focused toward short comedy sketches or gags, and get a LOT of "I have this epic series Idea", which I really wanna stay away from.

Also, I might be working on an animation and want someone to paint a main menu pic, or be drawing linework I'd want colored, but the only option atm is to be an artist looking for an artist, which is so broad it hurts my head. IE it includes animation, painting, color, linework, photography, etc.

Aside from that, I think this is an AWESOME idea!

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Programmer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:47:53 Reply

One problem I see is that I often don't know whether the people who are posting in the collabinator actually have their own game idea or are just looking to work on someone else's game idea. Should I assume that everyone who posts actually has an idea of what they wanna make?

I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 23:03:15 Reply

wow that actually looks pretty useful

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 00:07:52 Reply

At 1/29/13 10:47 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: One problem I see is that I often don't know whether the people who are posting in the collabinator actually have their own game idea or are just looking to work on someone else's game idea. Should I assume that everyone who posts actually has an idea of what they wanna make?

You shouldnt assume anything. The collabinator is just a blind date of sorts, if you are intruiged / curious, you contact the person and find out more <3

None

SinclairStrange
SinclairStrange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 02:20:12 Reply

Might just try this out sometime in the future, sounds pretty fun =).

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 05:21:05 Reply

At 1/29/13 06:11 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I know its early days, and I don't want to be a guy who craps over an addition to the site that could really benefit, but:

In the future, would it be possible to distinguish between Projects and People doing self promotion?
I'm trying to filter through the things looking for projects that are looking for art, but instead most of the stuff is people who are up-for-anything.

Sounds like a really great idea. I haven't used the feature myself, but I can see it would be it annoying if you look for one thing, but only find the other thing.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 05:28:54 Reply

Awesome news! :)

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 06:08:10 Reply

That's a great new feature! Thanks Tom, liljim and the rest of the NG staff!

I'm not looking for any collaboration at the moment - I'm slowly working on my Madness Day entry, which I've decided to start early because of its complexity. I'll try to draw stuff myself - after all, I don't need much more than Hank, Jesus, Tricky, and people with crosses on their faces - but if it turns out that I can't even handle that, this feature will be really useful!

Of course, given my incredibly small number of fans, I doubt anyone will see what I put up. Besides, I'm obviously not fit to collaborate with anyone with 3000+ fans. Perhaps you could add a feature to show only people with about the same number of fans and batting average. That way, newbies like me can collaborate with newbies in other fields. :)

Haris
Haris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 10:07:51 Reply

Some useful stuff here :)
This is going to help people out a lot!

Carbon64
Carbon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 15:25:48 Reply

The Collabinator looks awesome! There really isn't a place for game designers though. I have worked in all facets of creating games but, I feel I shine the most in designing them. I have lots of game concepts on my dumping grounds and I would love to share make them with programmers and artists more skilled than me.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 16:43:56 Reply

At 1/30/13 06:08 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Besides, I'm obviously not fit to collaborate with anyone with 3000+ fans. Perhaps you could add a feature to show only people with about the same number of fans and batting average. That way, newbies like me can collaborate with newbies in other fields. :)

That's a horrible idea. You shouldn't be afraid to collaborate with people just because they have more fans or have a larger portfolio.

That's what game jams were all about. How someone with 10 years of experience with flash could work with someone still learning and create something awesome. Or even, maybe this 10 year vet may learn something.

You can't imagine how many great things would't be, if people had been afraid to ask.

Maybe Dan Paladin was saying "Man, this Tom guy made this website and is so awesome, he'd never work with me", and POOF, no Alien Hominid, no Castle Crashers, no Behemoth (and possibly NG may never have been where it is now)

And from personal experience, Concerned Joe would have never earned as much money as it did, or garnered the portal score/views if Xelu hadn't sent this random PM to Johnny Utah asking for help.

You never know if the other person would be thrilled that you contacted them, and maybe they've been a fan of YOU all along.

Don't be afraid to collaborate.

KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 17:07:57 Reply

Know how there are, like, different roles on the Projects Page for the different parts people have in collaborations? Some of those would look nice as sub categories to list one's self as with the Collabinator. e.g.: Character designer looking for BG artist, and such.

"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 17:10:19 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:39 PM, RealFaction wrote: After this front page post is gone, how will we get to the Collabinator? Forgive me if I didnt see it in the text but I don't see it as a clickable option anywhere else currently. Will it be a button in the Project System, or an option under Community?

Under the Games, Movies, Audio, and Art tabs there is a "team up!" link.

Good.

Rad
Rad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 17:47:53 Reply

I'd love to try out the collab feature but I know I'd never have enough time to really help anyone out. Still, totally awesome though.

First blood! First topic of 2010!
KC Green has just won my heart.
Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 01:10:43 Reply

I like the roots up approach to improving NG,

This stuff rules!

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 04:47:53 Reply

I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?

smulse
smulse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 04:56:06 Reply

At 1/31/13 04:47 AM, Rawnern wrote: I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?

While we're reinventing physics, anything else you'd like us to change?

BBS Signature
shiki696
shiki696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 06:11:04 Reply

Woah nice art works :)

sharpsknife
sharpsknife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 07:10:43 Reply

i have no idea ?

At 1/29/13 02:41 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 1/29/13 02:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: To help get you wallflowers off the walls, we've developed The Collabinator!
awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?