poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 15:12:42 Reply

At 1/31/13 11:30 AM, abbiegale wrote:
Don't you know any cases of people calling themselves atheists as a reaction to being supressed by it, feeling that god has failed them, or just trying to make an impression (or even hurt others)?

As far as I know, those are mostly religious people who have an "atheist" phase in their teens and then go on to say bullshit like "OH I USED TO BE AN ATHEIST BUT I AM NOW BORN-AGAIN". But they never were atheists nor did they ever understand why they should be.

There's just about no adult atheist that I've ever known or heard of who's doing it to "piss god of" as religious people love to pretend. Then they go "OH WHY PISS OF A GOD YOU SAY YOU DON'T EVEN BELIEVE IN??? CHECKMATE!!".

This is the same as the "I used to be a skeptic!!" people. Here's a hint: No actual skeptic ever said nor will ever say "I used to be a skeptic".
That's like saying you used to understand how to add numbers together, but now you KNOW how to ..not do that anymore..??

If you're not a skeptic anymore, you never understood why the hell you should be one in the first place. Unless you suffer brain damage, skepticism is an acquired set of thought processes and tools to help you understand the world. Even if you believed in Sasquatch and ghosts, you'd still be a skeptic if you believe for the right reasons. ( Of course in the real world, those reasons don't exist ).

Sadly, "atheism" is not a rigorous mental guideline so anyone could be one and thus have an "atheist phase' before being tricked into believing in gods / magic by whatever nonsense.
But yah, doubt that happens a whole lot and it certainly doesn't happen to the smarter ones haha.

BBS Signature
DickChick
DickChick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 16:55:51 Reply

At 1/31/13 04:33 PM, abbiegale wrote: It's ok to research and use what you find when you respond. Trying to pass it as your own definition (which is, after all, what I asked for) isn't.

I never said that it was my own definition and I could have given you my sources if you had asked for them.
All I said was that it was a word with a dictionary definition, and your interpretation doesn't match it.

Just a chick with a dick.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 17:07:30 Reply

I'm confused now because if you knew the definition all along it doesn't make any sense that you'd draw the distinction between agnostic and atheist based on whether or not they reject religion.

The definitions of words aren't subjective.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 17:09:17 Reply

At 1/31/13 05:05 PM, abbiegale wrote: I'm still waiting for you to explain me where I'm wrong. It's not a challenge, I really want to know what I'm doing wrong here.

You said "while atheists fully reject religion, agnostics don't".
That's not valid because atheists can still be open to the idea of religion.

DickChick
DickChick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 17:20:09 Reply

At 1/31/13 05:14 PM, abbiegale wrote: Interpretations are. And definitions aren't really that definite; this whole thread is an example of how people have their own. They only serve as tools for communication, no one can say "that's that" and be done with it.

To an extent, but your definition differs too much to be an interpretation. No matter how you spin it the difference between atheists and agnostics is not that atheists fully reject religion. That's what at least two people have been saying to you for the last page or so.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 18:03:04 Reply

Atheist is also defined as one who denies the existence of a supreme being(s), disbelieves or denies.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-01-31 19:22:27 Reply

At 1/31/13 04:33 PM, abbiegale wrote:
I used to think so, too, but you would be surprised by how immature adults can be, and how they might never get over that phase. As an example, this was recently discussed in General; it's a woman explaining why she raises her child without god, bitching all the way about how unfair and absent god is,

There's actually nothing wrong with any of her points. Well except for the last thing where she says she doesn't want religion to go away because it's "personal". It's never personal. Religious people make decisions based on religion, that includes voting.

Anyway, the very act of using religion to teach right and wrong is bad in itself. Why do you need God to explain this to kids? There's obvious reasons for every law and moral action we take that don't depend on Jesus sending you to hell if you're naughty.

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-01 13:55:26 Reply

Atheism is getting closer and closer to a religion every day. It has millions of people who follow it, and it even has it's own sects.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-01 14:08:40 Reply

At 2/1/13 01:55 PM, Shade wrote: Atheism is getting closer and closer to a religion every day. It has millions of people who follow it, and it even has it's own sects.

They believe in not believing. Its own belief system.

JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-01 15:21:44 Reply

At 2/1/13 02:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 2/1/13 01:55 PM, Shade wrote: Atheism is getting closer and closer to a religion every day. It has millions of people who follow it, and it even has it's own sects.

And they even have their own zealots who want to push their beliefs onto others.

4:08 PM - Detective Prince: why does it matter HOW MANY of a thing you've watched
4:09 PM - Nor // [Loli]: Anime is a fucking sport

BBS Signature
Xombiehacker
Xombiehacker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-01 22:16:58 Reply

At 1/29/13 06:15 AM, Earfetish wrote: The late great Hitchens used to describe himself as an anti-theist. New slang? He first said it like five years ago.

âEUoeI am not even an atheist so much as an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. Reviewing the false claims of religion I do not wish, as some sentimental materialists affect to wish, that they were true. I do not envy believers their faith. I am relieved to think that the whole story is a sinister fairy tale; life would be miserable if what the faithful affirmed was actually true.... There may be people who wish to live their lives under cradle-to-grave divine supervision, a permanent surveillance and monitoring. But I cannot imagine anything more horrible or grotesque.âEU

Ie - I don't believe in God, but even if I did, I'd hate him because he is a dick.

Though I do agree with that last part, you don't really have the right to tell unto others what they can or cannot believe just as they don't have the right to tell you. And yes it is true that to the extremes religion is harmful, but to the extremes anything can be harmful. Also, I didn't know that about Hitchens... then again I don't know who he is, but neat fact :D

metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-02 06:17:17 Reply

At 2/1/13 02:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote:

Atheism is not a belief system, it is the rejection of the claim that a god exists. To say that atheism is a belief system is analogous to saying that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

No-one would try to argue that lack of belief in unicorns or pixies (or anything for that matter) is a belief system and the fact that this logic is exclusively applied to gods is idiotic.

Sig by madknt
Sig pinkified by jackmorrison

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to New slang "Anti-Theist" 2013-02-02 08:35:35 Reply

At 2/1/13 10:16 PM, Xombiehacker wrote:
Though I do agree with that last part, you don't really have the right to tell unto others what they can or cannot believe just as they don't have the right to tell you.

What does THAT even mean?

??
As if me telling someone they can't believe a thing would make them not believe that thing??

You have the right to tell someone they're wrong for believing something all day long. For instance, if you believe horses have 5 legs. You are wrong. I am telling you that you are wrong. It can't stop you from believing it if you want, but you are still wrong.

BBS Signature