Be a Supporter!
disorderlys
disorderlys
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 04:52 AM Reply

how big is: "Image must be between 16x16 px and 4 million px square" in inches/centimeters? im a little confused with uploading

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 54
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 05:53 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 04:52 AM, disorderlys wrote: how big is: "Image must be between 16x16 px and 4 million px square" in inches/centimeters? im a little confused with uploading

"in pixels" the clue is in what you posted... what are you trying to upload?... it is either over the 4 million pixel limit or so small its not worth uploading.


BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 05:53 AM Reply

Multiply the width of your picture in pixels by the height of your picture in pixels. If the result is more than 4,000,000, you need to rezize your picture to be smaller. If your picture is less than 16 pixels on either side, you need it to be bigger.

For more informations on the scouting system, look here.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
disorderlys
disorderlys
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 06:21 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 05:53 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Multiply the width of your picture in pixels by the height of your picture in pixels. If the result is more than 4,000,000

Got it, thanks :) I needed the max size for the pic :)

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 06:36 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 05:53 AM, lovingthedark wrote: If the result is more than 4,000,000, you need to rezize your picture to be smaller. If your picture is less than 16 pixels on either side, you need it to be bigger.

Slight change to the topic, but I recall Tom saying that the art portal size limitations has been increased in a comment in somebody else's newspost (it's been removed now, annoyingly).

Anyway, the maximum canvas size is now 25,000,000 (good lord!). That's 5,000x5000 pixels on either side, give and take.

how big?


BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 54
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:34 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 06:36 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Anyway, the maximum canvas size is now 25,000,000 (good lord!). That's 5,000x5000 pixels on either side, give and take.

I remember this news post. I found it via a link on front page... I still think the new canvas size is ludicrously large. like you commented that there are some pictures that will benefit from this... the majority will not and will eat up space for "too lazy to resize"

would have been better if there was a "request bigger canvas size" for artwork rather then bump up the limit for everyone.
with a quick "resize lower or grant bigger size" option button for moderators... just my thought... i dont know what this guy is uploading.. but if its like his High-skool ... well... i will let you be the judge


BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 09:05 AM Reply

i for one welcome the new image size limit but 5000x5000 seems grossly excessive, 1000x1000 would've been adequate for basically anything but whatever its still awsome


Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 09:09 AM Reply

I'd say something that automatically resizes files would be ideal. 5000 by 5000 isn't really that big though, guys- it's pretty reasonable still.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 54
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 09:09 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I'd say something that automatically resizes files would be ideal. 5000 by 5000 isn't really that big though, guys- it's pretty reasonable still.

its 28 times the size of my screen! *of course other computer monitors are better*

there will always be some picture which benefit from full screen.. for example (and this picture is only 1920 x 1080 px)

i think in the whole history of the art portal there is only a handful that i would ever say would benefit from such a large file size... such as this one which is currently at 1920 x 1358...

conclusion - 5000 x 5000 is stupidly big


BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to how big? Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:42 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:01 AM, LegolaSS wrote: conclusion - 5000 x 5000 is stupidly big

Not if you're printing- at 300 dpi that's only 16 2/3 inches (or 42 1/3 cm) per side. It's a rational size to work at.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
shinigamidannii
shinigamidannii
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 04:52 AM, disorderlys wrote: how big is: "Image must be between 16x16 px and 4 million px square" in inches/centimeters? im a little confused with uploading

i was wondering if you ever figured out how to load something on. it keeps telling me i need to crop the picture. i have a piece i want to upload that is 562x 639. is that too big, or not big enough?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:55 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 07:07 PM, shinigamidannii wrote: i was wondering if you ever figured out how to load something on. it keeps telling me i need to crop the picture. i have a piece i want to upload that is 562x 639. is that too big, or not big enough?

Try a different browser.

hondaccord96
hondaccord96
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 11:26 AM Reply

At 4/18/13 07:55 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 4/18/13 07:07 PM, shinigamidannii wrote: i was wondering if you ever figured out how to load something on. it keeps telling me i need to crop the picture. i have a piece i want to upload that is 562x 639. is that too big, or not big enough?
Try a different browser.

I had same problem and went with this response. Couldn't upload through firefox so used IE instead and worked fine

DestinyArtsStudios
DestinyArtsStudios
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to how big? Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 01:56 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 04:52 AM, disorderlys wrote: how big is: "Image must be between 16x16 px and 4 million px square" in inches/centimeters? im a little confused with uploading

that's (W)500x(H)800 px maximum = 4.000.000 sqr-px.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 09:05 AM, Template88 wrote: i for one welcome the new image size limit but 5000x5000 seems grossly excessive, 1000x1000 would've been adequate for basically anything but whatever its still awsome

Comics, collaborations, compilations - I've hit the old limit a fuckload of times.

Single images depicting one instance? Yeah, 1000 pixels squared would be more than enough. But that's not the only type of picture that gets submitted.

DestinyArtsStudios
DestinyArtsStudios
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to how big? Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 04:52 AM, disorderlys wrote: how big is: "Image must be between 16x16 px and 4 million px square" in inches/centimeters? im a little confused with uploading

sorry! i meant 500x500px maximum = 250.000.000 = perfect fit!, NO! "cuts!" needed, remember in "square!" pixels

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to how big? Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 02:41 AM Reply

At 6/11/13 01:56 AM, DestinyArtsStudios wrote: that's (W)500x(H)800 px maximum = 4.000.000 sqr-px.
At 6/11/13 02:18 AM, DestinyArtsStudios wrote: sorry! i meant 500x500px maximum = 250.000.000 = perfect fit!, NO! "cuts!" needed, remember in "square!" pixels

You've been issued this limited edition and totally legit restraining order for your crimes against basic arithmetic.

how big?