New Topic Respond to this Topic
CzeryWassierSwizier
CzeryWassierSwizier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Game Developement Process Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:02 PM Reply

I'm just curious how people go about developing their games.

It would be pretty interesting to see the various workflows/processes that people use, or their lack thereof.

I personally start with a blank project. I then experiment with various concepts until I find one I like. As I test the game, I try adding new features instead of removing bugs. This is terribly inefficient and wastes a lot of time, but it is how I've worked on games in the past. I'm quite noobish to.

I'm a nub.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 11:02 PM, CzeryWassierSwizier wrote: I'm just curious how people go about developing their games.

It would be pretty interesting to see the various workflows/processes that people use, or their lack thereof.

I personally start with a blank project. I then experiment with various concepts until I find one I like. As I test the game, I try adding new features instead of removing bugs. This is terribly inefficient and wastes a lot of time, but it is how I've worked on games in the past. I'm quite noobish to.

Generally, you start with an idea, make a quick prototype, and toss the idea if it's not fun. From there, fill out a game design doc to flesh out all the details (search baldwin game design doc if that link doesn't work). My process involves prototyping, then putting the idea on the back burner while my current project takes precedence, then never finishing either project...but I'm working on changing that. I've read that instead of adding features, some people only take stuff out, especially if they're on a time budget. That will make your game more refined and take less time to make. But some games are good with a lot of features, so it's up to you

elementell
elementell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 11:12 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/27/13 11:02 PM, CzeryWassierSwizier wrote: I'm just curious how people go about developing their games.
My process involves prototyping, then putting the idea on the back burner while my current project takes precedence, then never finishing either project...

I second this on my own end. No art = no game.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:07 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:57 AM, elementell wrote: I second this on my own end. No art = no game.

I -1 that, I've made entire games then gone to find artists.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:32 AM Reply

1) Write most of game
2) Decide idea is bad
3) Scrap game

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:57 AM, elementell wrote: No art = no game.

I feel you. I still have that isometric RPG from a while ago, writer and artist lost interest, but the code is like 90% done :(
I'll get back to it one day...

CzeryWassierSwizier
CzeryWassierSwizier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:57 AM, elementell wrote:

:No art = no game.

Is good artwork really that essential in game making? I've seen great games that were made with just geometric shapes.

I'm a nub.

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 04:19 PM, CzeryWassierSwizier wrote:
At 1/28/13 12:57 AM, elementell wrote:
No art = no game.
Is good artwork really that essential in game making? I've seen great games that were made with just geometric shapes.

The same way that a game can be great with great artwork a game can be great with very basic artwork. Although you probably will get more attention with a nice environment, that's an essentiality.

L30n64
L30n64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Game Developement Process Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

1) Get idea
2) Brainstorm to flesh it out
3) Make prototype
4) Get artist
5) Get another artist after the first one fails to deliver
6) Repeat 5 until an artist delivers
7) Make game
8) Remove features you don't need/are stupid
9) Release!

there's more too it than that, but that's the gist of it. Come up with an idea and flesh it out to what the "perfect" version of it would be. Then start removing things that are impractical, over your current skill level, or you realize later it was a stupid idea (mostly this).

Jesus <3's you in a totally non-gay way