imratherdashingokay
imratherdashingokay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:06 PM Reply

Well, here's the thing.
I want to start producing electronic music, but I really have no where to start.
I've watched tutorials, and have the equipment to do it, but I feel as though I lack motivation and/or skill.
So if anyone has any information they'd be willing to share with me, such as where you learned or how you got started, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

(I don't know if it means anything, but I'm using FL Studio as of now, and have been "producing" since the summer of last year)

"I've done nothing productive all day."

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:14 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 10:06 PM, imratherdashingokay wrote: Well, here's the thing.
I want to start producing electronic music, but I really have no where to start.
I've watched tutorials, and have the equipment to do it, but I feel as though I lack motivation and/or skill.
So if anyone has any information they'd be willing to share with me, such as where you learned or how you got started, it'd be

I started off just by putting the melodies i heard in my mind into the midi sequencer but i got much better once i learned how to play an instrument (guitar) and learned some music theory as well. I starting doing this when i was 18 or 19 so you starting off at 13 is good (at least in comparison to me xD)
Good luck!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
ToxInjection
ToxInjection
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 10:06 PM, imratherdashingokay wrote: Well, here's the thing.
So if anyone has any information they'd be willing to share with me, such as where you learned or how you got started, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

(I don't know if it means anything, but I'm using FL Studio as of now, and have been "producing" since the summer of last year)

Hey man, I was quite literally in the exact position you're in right now! No, seriously, I only started getting seriously involved in producing music last summer as well. I was thinking the same thing you are. I felt like I just didn't have that "mojo" other artists had to create something good.

One thing that can help you is to come up with an idea of some sort. That always helps me. I rarely make a track "just because." I either have a very basic idea of how I want the track to sound, or I get an idea very early on in the early stages of production. It can be a scenario, a word, an emotion, a theme, anything! Just find something you want to link to the track and go from there. Do you want something that sounds sinister and dark? Happy and upbeat? Something chaotic and crazy? It always helps to build from the ground up (:

From there, if you have an idea, try to find samples or synths that match the style you want. Want something chill? Look for some nice soothing pads and some deep kicks. Chaotic, insane track? You'll be looking for rough sounding leads, low OR high pitched. Happy and upbeat? You'll be looking for a nice sounding lead that's not too killer on the ears in terms of volume. Just something that gives off a happy vibe!

Then, you start experimenting. The real truth is that if it's your first track, it's never going to be wonderful. It just won't. That's not a bad thing either. My first track wasn't exactly horrible, but looking back, I could have definitely improved on a lot of things. A part of getting better at making music is feedback. Upload something, and no matter if it sucks or not, someone will come review, and hopefully, they go in depth. They'll tell you what they didn't like so you can improve yourself and overall make your songs a whole lot better! The community can always give you advice this way. It's the same thing that happened to me.

I know it may be a bit nerve-wracking, but sometimes, you just gotta make something and throw yourself out there. From there, you get better with every review and rating you get, and every song you put out!

I'm rooting for you bud. Not a whole lot of people gave me reviews when I started off (and I still sort of don't, but that's beside the point), and nobody gave me this kind of talk either. Just stick with it, put yourself into your music 100%, and you'll start getting it!

INJECT yourself with some of these TOXic tunes! Get it, because tox-...I'm sorry:

Newgrounds Uploads | Soundcloud! :D

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:39 PM Reply

The best way to start is to learn how to play an instrument. Really doesn't matter what, but you want to be in a position to expand upon it. I started out by joining my elementary school band in 6th grade and learning the Alto Saxophone. Had two great music teachers during my high school years as well. Stopped right after high school with the sax but at the time started to learn better music theory by what I read and heard from other musicians.

It takes time to really develop into a decent musician regardless of the instrument. I remember that when I started, my band instructor wanted to kill me because I was so clumsy. Then later in high school, people didn't want me to stop playing even the teachers.

Don't let that so-called "lack of motivation" derail you. The drive is there, but you won't see it if you aren't doing anything about it. Don't be discouraged. If you're willing to dedicate yourself and practice you can accomplish anything. You're young. You have ample time to work for it.

PS: When learning an instrument, it gets worse before it gets better so don't feel bad keep it moving.

imratherdashingokay
imratherdashingokay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

I love you, not even forever. I LOVE YOU FIVEEVER.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:37 PM Reply

When I first started, I just played around and explored the program. The more you discover, the more possibilites become available. Even if your stuff sounds bad, it will become better with time.

My advice? Do what you want. Play around with whatever DAW you choose (I personally used FL Studio when I first started, and I still do). There are a couple of threads in the audio forums which are there to offer help with a particular VST if you need it. All you have to do is ask.

So to recap, mess around, get the hang of things, then you can start becoming motivated and making music the way you want to make it (you cannot do that if you don't know how the DAW works!)

New complextro demo

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:28 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 10:39 PM, StaticBlu wrote: The best way to start is to learn how to play an instrument.

I don't recommend this. Music is different for everyone, and you don't need any prior instrumental knowledge to produce music.

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 03:10 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 02:28 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/27/13 10:39 PM, StaticBlu wrote: The best way to start is to learn how to play an instrument.
I don't recommend this. Music is different for everyone, and you don't need any prior instrumental knowledge to produce music.

Yes, but he will have better foundations and understanding if were to. It would also make studying music theory easier because of the amount of exposure that he can have to different types of music and styles. You don't need it, but it would help out a great deal. And he's young so why not get started on something? He's got time to develop. Beside if he explores the music world more, the better chance he'll have at finding something truly original.

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 04:48 AM Reply

Also I forgot to mention that around 15 years of age I was learning how to write MIDIs as well. The best thing you can do to get better is to find out what interest you and why. Always analyze what you listen to and find out what about it draws you to it so much. I learned by attempting to duplicate my favorite music. It helps to learn what other artists are doing. Also just dabble in everything that people mentioned on this post. Find some music programs and play around with them, consider learning an instrument or reading up on music theory, etc. Don't limit yourself to just one experience.

Expose yourself to as many things as possible, but more importantly find out what works best for you.

I apologize for posting so much

Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 05:24 AM Reply

Ya, pretty much as stated above. You can only get motivated if you have something in your head you want out. No one can really do that for you. If you just play around with fl and make something you are bettering yourself at it. The first thing that helps is simply being able to get whats in your head down to fl. After that once you want something to sound a certain way or achieve a desired effect but arent sure how, just ask here on the forums. I'm pretty sure you will get the answer you were looking for.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:22 AM Reply

Any clue as to what type of electronic music you would like to make?

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:40 AM Reply

If you'd prefer a mentor I could teach you the Basics (if you use FL Studio that is.)

Other than that, maybe someone's willing to take you under their wing.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

I got started because I decided to.
I'm motivated by other people's music.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

imratherdashingokay
imratherdashingokay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 11:22 AM, zelazon wrote: Any clue as to what type of electronic music you would like to make?

Pretty much anything that falls under EDM (Dubstep, House, Techno, Drumstep, Drum and Bass, Hardstyle, etc.)

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 07:55 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:50 PM, imratherdashingokay wrote:
At 1/28/13 11:22 AM, zelazon wrote: Any clue as to what type of electronic music you would like to make?
Pretty much anything that falls under EDM (Dubstep, House, Techno, Drumstep, Drum and Bass, Hardstyle, etc.)

If you're into doing Hardstyle I could give you a few tips, that happens to be my specialty.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
imratherdashingokay
imratherdashingokay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 07:55 PM, Chemich wrote: If you're into doing Hardstyle I could give you a few tips, that happens to be my specialty.

sounds good

AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:07 PM Reply

Ah... starting out, eh?

Well, maybe I could tell you a couple tips...

Playing an instrument is helpful, as you can practice when away from your comp, and it gives you a sense of ideas for melodies and etc. (I play flute, and some guitar)

Like ToxInjection said, I wouldn't expect your very first to be a "Magnus Opus". But don't sweat; that'll make you give up. If you practice and have patience, you'll get better.

Now, you say you want to do "electronix"? Finding a couple good vsts and (you use FL Studio; cool!) you'll be fine. sorohano made a thread here: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1042375

Always be critical of your work, but not to the extent of insanity. See where you can do better in the next track.

Melodies are usually in single notes, while harmonies are usually chords (correct me if I'm wrong, guys!). Just mess around in piano roll and make a random lead using a scale. Or, like ToxInjection said (you beat me to the punch with that one, grumble... :P ) try to convey a story to match your song.

Hope this helps! I'm no pro, but I recall starting in the same spot as you, and I would like to help you get started!

I remember when I was starting out last summer and started computer composition (I was using LMMS lol)....

"There never was a master that wasn't a student...

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to In need of some help Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:59 PM Reply

With electronic music, I strongly recommend learning the piano. Or at least, learning music theory on the piano. All DAWs (digital audio workstations aka music making programs) use a piano roll for the scoring/notation.

I recommend learning how to actually write music before producing. I would actually recommend you use a scoring program like MuseScore or Guitar Pro. These use notation and are designed strictly for writing music, not producing. At the same time, muck around in FL Studio and have some fun, obviously.

If you learn how to write good music with standard instruments at the start, rather than relying on cool sounding synths, when you do seriously get into producing electronic music, you won't just acquire the skills for creating synths and engineering your tracks, but the knowledge of music. This will help a lot.

Even Skrillex was in a rock band and wrote music before he got into electronic music production. His music relies heavily on his sound design!

tl;dr: I recommend learning how to write music before seriously getting into synth making and audio engineering. Especially at your age. If you start learning how to write music now, you'll be really good at writing music within a few years. Then when you start to learn how to produce music - by the time you're 20, you'll be pro! Even younger, perhaps...