00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Art Thread

17,980 Views | 227 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 16:22:58

You're focusing on the wrong things. Have you ever heard of gestalt? Essentially, it's the idea that we see the whole before we see the details. No one's going to care if a leaf doesn't look good if the whole environment is convincing. People aren't telling you to do realism because we want you to stop stylizing, but because you're still unable to represent form in a convincing way. There is no better way to learn this than to take something from real life and try to translate into 2d. Take a look at Andrew Loomis, who breaks down extremely realistic portraits into basic shapes. That is the basis of understanding form. The reason "good" artists can seemingly draw anything is because they understand how to break it down to its simplest shapes. That is what you need to start worrying about.

On another note, in case no one has ever taken the time to say this to you: It is okay to not have a style. It is okay to make bad art. Every time you start heading in the right direction with realism, you add a comment like "BUT I'M STILL GOING TO STYLIZE OKAY". Genuinely, it is okay to not stylize. Styles are very easy to pick up and are ultimately worthless, skill is not. When you try to stylize your practices, you aren't actually looking at what you're drawing and you're actually making your training less effective. Take some time to make some really terrible stuff from life. No one will disrespect you for it, and if they do they're assholes that you don't have to listen to. Don't be afraid of making bad art. It's the only way you can end up making good art.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 16:34:51

At 4/6/13 04:22 PM, thisismyboat wrote:
On another note, in case no one has ever taken the time to say this to you: It is okay to not have a style. It is okay to make bad art. Every time you start heading in the right direction with realism, you add a comment like "BUT I'M STILL GOING TO STYLIZE OKAY". Genuinely, it is okay to not stylize. Styles are very easy to pick up and are ultimately worthless, skill is not. When you try to stylize your practices, you aren't actually looking at what you're drawing and you're actually making your training less effective. Take some time to make some really terrible stuff from life. No one will disrespect you for it, and if they do they're assholes that you don't have to listen to. Don't be afraid of making bad art. It's the only way you can end up making good art.

I think you misunderstood me. What I said was, "I am going to do realism as practice, and THEN stylize after I have become more skilled." Of course, my next stylized piece will be about a month away, because I want to make an improvement in my artwork before I go back to it. Even then, I will still practice figures and realism, etc. One thing I am beginning to realize is that artists never stop learning; improving, or getting skills. With practice comes acquired skill, with stylization comes expression, but only after the fundamentals have been learned. I plan on mastering (or at least trying anyway) the human figure before trying to stylize again.

Oh, and as for that book by Andrew Loomis, I have it, thanks to Rumsworth (give him a round of applause, everyone). And my GOD! I didn't know drawing heads, bodies and such could be broken to such easily crude shapes! And the diagrams of the ball at different angles opened my eyes a bit as well. It seems that drawing people is a lot easier than I first thought.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 17:12:54

The completed painting! http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/kiwisundae/sylveon

This took a lot out of me, so I'm going to retire on the art for today. Ten hours on a painting can take a lot out of a guy.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 19:26:42

At 4/6/13 05:12 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: The completed painting! http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/kiwisundae/sylveon

This took a lot out of me, so I'm going to retire on the art for today. Ten hours on a painting can take a lot out of a guy.

That shouldn't take ten hours. How many layers did you use? If it's more than three you're an idiot.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 21:53:21

At 4/6/13 07:26 PM, IronIroh wrote:
At 4/6/13 05:12 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
That shouldn't take ten hours. How many layers did you use? If it's more than three you're an idiot.

Yeah, it was more than three...I'll re-paint it then.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 22:29:21

At 4/6/13 07:26 PM, IronIroh wrote: That shouldn't take ten hours. How many layers did you use? If it's more than three you're an idiot.

You're being a dick for the sake of being a dick. I understand this guy had a shaky start but what's with trying to knock him down at every turn becoming a fucking trend. Your opinions are based completely on the fact that you've got something against the dude, so take them somewhere else unless you've got some genuine criticism that isn't just you trying to hop on the "hate kiwisundae" bandwagon. Pisses me off to no end.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-06 22:32:26

At 4/6/13 10:29 PM, Rumsworth wrote: You're being a dick for the sake of being a dick. I understand this guy had a shaky start but what's with trying to knock him down at every turn becoming a fucking trend. Your opinions are based completely on the fact that you've got something against the dude, so take them somewhere else unless you've got some genuine criticism that isn't just you trying to hop on the "hate kiwisundae" bandwagon. Pisses me off to no end.

Also I didn't get a chance to take a look at the painting before (i presume) he deleted it, but don't get me wrong on the fact that I get that he's been focusing on the wrong things and rejecting some crit. My problem is your fucking attitude towards it.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-07 01:40:26

tbh I liked it because he actually did try something new and that was leaving out lines completely

it actually made the whole thing a million times more pleasing

be my fan... because.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-07 04:43:56

At 4/6/13 05:12 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: The completed painting! http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/kiwisundae/sylveon

I like the different approach you used to make this.
Time isn't important. Making a nice artwork isn't a race.
Trying new things and putting care into your work, however, is the most important aspect when you make the arts.
Usually takes a while to do when it comes to mine.
As long as the product looks good and you are proud of it.

Hopefully you learned a lot on making this art work, and you will be able to do the same in half the time you try something similar out :)
Bit of review...
The shading needs a bit of work, I feel as there can be a shadow on some places as well as adding more depth to the grass...
(Did you use a brush?) If so, It's okay I guess, but you can make the work more your own by trying your own hand at drawing the grass, the picture will become your own style without anyone recognizing that brush.

The expression is cute and it radiates cuteness.
In any case just keep at it, and personally I can't wait to see you dish out something as good as this again, or even better!

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-07 11:17:41

At 4/6/13 10:29 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
At 4/6/13 07:26 PM, IronIroh wrote: If it's more than three you're an idiot.
You're being a dick for the sake of being a dick. ... Your opinions are based completely on the fact that you've got something against the dude, so take them somewhere else unless you've got some genuine criticism that isn't just you trying to hop on the "hate kiwisundae" bandwagon. Pisses me off to no end.

I've dished out a ban for this.
And this goes to anyone else who plans on being a dick in this thread.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-10 13:14:42

At 4/8/13 05:43 AM, Amaranthus wrote: Now it's anatomy time.
Don't focus on faces or background, just use posemaniacs and start on poses.
And don't make the women so damn skinny.

Okay, but I was actually going to use the Andrew Loomis book for the anatomy. I like the way that he uses a ball instead of an egg shape to build the head, which allows for more possibilities. With just that technique alone, I could create SO MANY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS!

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-12 01:43:30

At 4/10/13 01:19 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 4/10/13 01:14 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 4/8/13 05:43 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
#lessblabberingmorepracticing

eh its loomis, dont discourage him from reading the book

be my fan... because.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-04-12 04:22:19

At 4/12/13 01:43 AM, IloveNantes wrote:
At 4/10/13 01:19 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 4/10/13 01:14 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 4/8/13 05:43 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
#lessblabberingmorepracticing
eh its loomis, dont discourage him from reading the book

no he's discouraging him from babbling on about how he'll read the book

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 13:31:10

Just in case you were starting to miss me, you need not fret. I have been away working on college work, and thus have had very little time to draw. In this picture's case, it was finished two days ago, and I plan on painting it starting tonight. As you can see, I have the color scheme planned out.

The character's name is Kaneko Kazuharu, the FeMC of my Persona fan project, Persona ZERO: Dreamscape.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 13:34:24

Just some face practice. I picked up a technique, where I draw a circle for the top half of the head, and focus on building the shape of the bottom of it, and make sure it goes around, until I get a basic skull shape. Then, I start making reference lines for the eyes, nose, ears, etc.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 13:39:48

Name: Kirin
Type: Ice
Arcana: The Fool
Owner: Kaneko Kazuharu (Wild Card)
Starting Skills: Dia (4 SP), Bufu (4 SP), Tarukaja (6 SP)

Description: A basic ice-type Persona, Kirin is a good starting type for Wild Card Persona users. She is named after the Deer-spirit from Eastern mythology, known to inhabit the forests, and her face and giant antler pay homage to the creature.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 13:47:15

Name: Senbonzakura (One Thousand Cherry Blossoms)
Type: Wind
Arcana: The Chariot
Skills: Garu (4 SP), Dia (4 SP), Sakukaja (6SP)

Description: The Persona of Iori Mizuho, obtained after facing her fear and uncertainty of the judgment of her mother regarding her relationship with another girl, Senbonzakura is capable of launching and controlling up to one thousand cherry blossom blades, as its name implies, using the wind and cherry blossom petals it generates from the flower-petal fan on its back. It's moveset and speed make it ideal for getting the first strike.

Trivia: The name is a direct reference to Bleach. Byakuya Kuchiki's Zanpakuto is in fact, named Senbonzakura, but adds "Kageyoshi" to its name in Bankai form.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 22:09:48

Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on painting hair?

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 22:14:43

At 5/9/13 10:09 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on painting hair?

Burp..... Excuse me

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-09 22:35:11

At 5/9/13 10:14 PM, ornery wrote:
At 5/9/13 10:09 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on painting hair?
Burp..... Excuse me

Okay...Well, in that case, I did try something on my own. Can you let me know if it's any good?

This is just hair painting practice.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 00:09:32

If the hair is your main focus then it looks pretty good so far, just a little sloppy. Keep working it!

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 07:26:40

At 5/10/13 12:09 AM, luckylime wrote: If the hair is your main focus then it looks pretty good so far, just a little sloppy. Keep working it!

Thank you, but could you explain what you meant when you said a little sloppy?

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 07:59:38

Some more practice. This time with skin. I went for the smooth effect. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears...Er...Eyes?

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 14:11:52

I canz does design werk...

This is a logo. Nuff' said.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 14:13:13

Moar design werk...ATLUS, if you are seeing this. HIRE ME!!!

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 14:55:52

At 5/10/13 02:36 PM, wankwest wrote:
At 5/10/13 07:59 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: Some more practice. This time with skin. I went for the smooth effect. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears...Er...Eyes?
The way you drew the hair looks really swell, but the eyes look a bit too high up in the face. It could also use a bit more detail i shading. For example the lips.

The logos you made look really good i think.

Advice taken, but again, this is just practice for some coloring and shading techniques. However, I will keep an "eye" on the eyes (shoot me now). Thanks for your feedback.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-10 15:06:14

Now, let's say I were hired by ATLUS and tasked with making the next Persona game. Well, this is just a sample of what a battle interface would look like. Simplicity is best, after all.

About the spells, for those that don't know:

Agidyne is generally considered the strongest single-enemy target fire spell in the SMT series.
Maragidyne deals heavy fire damage damage to all enemies.
Matarukunda is the opposite of an attack raising spell called Matarukaja. Matarukunda reduces the attack of all enemies for three turns.
Marakunda is the opposite of the defense raising spell Marakukaja. Marakunda reduces the defense of all enemies for three turns.

As you can see, this is only a sample, so nothing is definite.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-12 15:04:13

Completed and READY to be judged! Well, Newgrounds? How's my new painting style holding up?

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-12 18:21:14

At 5/12/13 03:40 PM, JoseFonz wrote:
At 5/12/13 03:04 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Completed and READY to be judged! Well, Newgrounds? How's my new painting style holding up?
Eh, I don't *know*. The anatomy and structure of the face just looks very haphazard to me. Maybe try using a reference image instead of your imagination. Remember kiwi, Anime is also derived from real life. Try studying real-life faces and then distort the proportions to suit your tastes.

I get what you're saying. I think the original pic had her features more...Defined if you will, and I kinda lost sight of it. Thanks for your feedback.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-12 18:26:03

Okay. Let's hope I get this right this time. This time, I am going to attempt...A full-body painting! I did happen to use a reference pic for this one, especially for the legs. All I can hope for is that they're *mostly* correct.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature