Be a Supporter!

New Art Thread

  • 10,458 Views
  • 231 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Woogiej
Woogiej
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 11:24:45 Reply

At 1/27/13 04:40 PM, AnotherOtto wrote: Welcome back I suppose!

My biggest tip to you is try not to 'pet' your line, by which I mean use lots of smaller lines to make bigger ones. It slows down your drawing, sucks out all the energy and makes it straight up harder to improve. Don't draw by moving the wrist, start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.

There's reasons for this - there are too many muscles and tendons in your hand to ever get complete control with. You might feel you have a good grasp on it, but continuing to do so would be like wanting to get better at basketball only if you wore ice-skates. It just doesn't really work. You won't be able to move properly, no matter how much you get good at working around it.

Trust me. Every great artist/draughtsman ever will verify this. I really hope you actually try this! Good luck.

Im still a huge beginner so it seems like a perfect time to make this a habit!
I noticed it's easier when you "fake" draw the line in the air above the paper a couple of times before you actually draw it in one smooth movement.
Ofcourse this slows me down as well but it's a start I guess:)
Thanks for the advice!


Check out my blog on international relations: http://lawandgeopolitics.com

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 11:50:30 Reply

At 3/19/13 11:35 AM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/19/13 02:46 AM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 3/19/13 12:07 AM, KiwiSundae wrote:
Thank you, but I feel like the black ink is kinda overdone. I'm going to try doing a soft shading layer underneath with the black indicating where the darkest areas are. If that were the case, could you give an example of how to properly achieve the effect I want?

I agree the black is overdone. But it is still strikingly different from your usual. I am horrible at shading, so I can't help you there.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 11:56:08 Reply

At 3/19/13 11:28 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Another preview. This time, I cut back on the black a little. I am now going to work on the shading.

Sorry for the double post, But I just noticed the colored version. I don't like it. It does not mesh well with the heavy black shading. At least in my opinion. But nothing ventured, nothing gained right? It is good to see your experimenting, even a little bit. The color did point out a flaw: The hair strand on her head looks like a handle. It is klunky and seems out of place. But I like that you are edging out of your zone. Keep at it.

Woogiej
Woogiej
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 14:34:54 Reply

At 1/27/13 05:30 PM, Otto wrote:
At 1/27/13 05:12 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 1/27/13 04:40 PM, AnotherOtto wrote: Welcome back I suppose!

start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.
Show me a youtube video and a tutorial on what your talking about because I dont think im doing it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

7.45

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.

Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?


Check out my blog on international relations: http://lawandgeopolitics.com

Otto
Otto
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 14:48:41 Reply

At 3/20/13 02:34 PM, Woogiej wrote:
At 1/27/13 05:30 PM, Otto wrote:
At 1/27/13 05:12 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 1/27/13 04:40 PM, AnotherOtto wrote: Welcome back I suppose!

start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.
Show me a youtube video and a tutorial on what your talking about because I dont think im doing it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

7.45

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.
Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?

It's always applicable; ability to use all of the arm means you can summon whatever movement is most appropriate for whatever mark you've about to make. Don't ever limit yourself.


This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 15:14:10 Reply

start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.
Show me a youtube video and a tutorial on what your talking about because I dont think im doing it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

7.45

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.
Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?
It's always applicable; ability to use all of the arm means you can summon whatever movement is most appropriate for whatever mark you've about to make. Don't ever limit yourself.

Really? Because I just go in, zoomed up, and make strokes using my arm and wrist in synch. Then, I clean it up and make it look like one line. It's a pain, but it works.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 15:16:32 Reply

At 3/20/13 03:14 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Really? Because I just go in, zoomed up, and make strokes using my arm and wrist in synch. Then, I clean it up and make it look like one line. It's a pain, but it works.

So in order for it to NOT be a pain you should follow the advice designed specifically to stop making what you do painful.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Woogiej
Woogiej
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 17:12:35 Reply


Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?
It's always applicable; ability to use all of the arm means you can summon whatever movement is most appropriate for whatever mark you've about to make. Don't ever limit yourself.

Are you saying you lock your wrist and only move your elbow for every line you draw? :S


Check out my blog on international relations: http://lawandgeopolitics.com

ZaccheusEcho
ZaccheusEcho
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 18:04:43 Reply

Hey, you're really good at drawing!


If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was awesome...
I'd have 3 dollars...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 19:19:07 Reply

At 3/20/13 06:04 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote: Hey, you're really good at drawing!

Thank you. However, I'm not looking for flattery. This thread is more or less a showcase and for people to leave an honest opinion of what I post.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 19:23:08 Reply

A semi-realistic portrait...Of sorts...I dunno...I've never been big on close-up faces.

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 19:25:52 Reply

I've been really, really busy today. This next sketch is an Ib fan piece. Though her hair looks dark, Mary's hair will be recolored to blonde in the digital painting. Not drawing, painting. I'm going to straight up paint this. I like her expression, though, I plan on correcting the size of her eyes. They're going to be smaller.

The title of the piece is "Why Do You Hate Me?"

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 19:29:47 Reply

At 3/20/13 05:12 PM, Woogiej wrote:

Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?
It's always applicable; ability to use all of the arm means you can summon whatever movement is most appropriate for whatever mark you've about to make. Don't ever limit yourself.
Are you saying you lock your wrist and only move your elbow for every line you draw? :S

No, I'm saying don't lock anything up, but don't draw exclusively with the wrist. Try drawing standing up with an eisel, you'll see what I mean. You have to hold your arm up and move the whole thing in tandem with your wrist.

Also Kiwi what are you talking about you can't zoom in real life aswell


This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 21:11:15 Reply

At 3/20/13 07:29 PM, Otto wrote:
At 3/20/13 05:12 PM, Woogiej wrote:

Nice video, this elbow technique seems really usefull when drawing cirkel and straight lines but I doubt it's useful when drawing smaller and more detailed lines like in the drawing of the topic starter?
It's always applicable; ability to use all of the arm means you can summon whatever movement is most appropriate for whatever mark you've about to make. Don't ever limit yourself.
Are you saying you lock your wrist and only move your elbow for every line you draw? :S
No, I'm saying don't lock anything up, but don't draw exclusively with the wrist. Try drawing standing up with an eisel, you'll see what I mean. You have to hold your arm up and move the whole thing in tandem with your wrist.

Also Kiwi what are you talking about you can't zoom in real life aswell

True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that. Also, can we please get back to commenting on the art itself? I mean, that's kinda what the thread was about in the first place. So...Yeah...Please do that.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 21:12:57 Reply

Here's a more violent/sexual piece. I hid her face, made a more ominous light source, used blood, etc. There's a whole lot going on. I call it "Hush".

Also, note her expression.

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
ZaccheusEcho
ZaccheusEcho
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 22:55:28 Reply

At 3/20/13 07:19 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/20/13 06:04 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote: Hey, you're really good at drawing!
Thank you. However, I'm not looking for flattery. This thread is more or less a showcase and for people to leave an honest opinion of what I post.

I don't think I can give advice to someone who draws better than I do


If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was awesome...
I'd have 3 dollars...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-20 23:07:32 Reply

At 3/20/13 10:55 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote:
At 3/20/13 07:19 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/20/13 06:04 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote: Hey, you're really good at drawing!
Thank you. However, I'm not looking for flattery. This thread is more or less a showcase and for people to leave an honest opinion of what I post.
I don't think I can give advice to someone who draws better than I do

That is the BIGGEST load of bullshit I have ever heard! What do you think most game reviewers who are well-versed in English and have a history of gaming do, despite having little knowledge of how the games they play/review are actually designed? They do it in a way that fits the way they feel about the game, rather than the actual technical know-how stuff that the designers might know, because they know they're not reviewing for that audience. They're reviewing for a gamer audience, and give designers advice about how they can improve their games based on their wants and what they would like to see improved or fixed about the games they are reviewing. See? No technical know-how knowledge needed. The same could be said about art. You don't need a Fine Arts degree to tell someone that something doesn't look right, even if a piece is stylized. It doesn't take an expert in something to know when that something they are judging is wrong or bad.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
HandsomeCat
HandsomeCat
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 02:25:56 Reply

At 3/20/13 11:07 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: That is the BIGGEST load of bullshit I have ever heard!

"What's going on? Can we get back to the topic of my art, please? I'm trying to show you guys stuff, and you're quickly straying off-topic. If could, I dunno...Stop that, that would be great."


BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 11:47:12 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:25 AM, HandsomeCat wrote:
At 3/20/13 11:07 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: That is the BIGGEST load of bullshit I have ever heard!
"What's going on? Can we get back to the topic of my art, please? I'm trying to show you guys stuff, and you're quickly straying off-topic. If could, I dunno...Stop that, that would be great."

Mockery will get you nowhere.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 12:20:44 Reply

Garry from Ib. Garry is a bit of a loner, and this piece represents a bit of his inner despair. I liked Garry as a character a lot. He seems so friendly and cheerful, but deep down is a cold, calculating man, who sees things a lot differently than Ib. Perhaps it is Ib and Mary's child-like innocence that keeps them from seeing the darkness behind the illusion in the Rabbit Room, or perhaps the Rabbits are real, and the disturbing dolls are a sign of madness from being trapped in the Fabricated World for far too long.

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 12:29:57 Reply

Kiwi, it's totally okay to accept someone giving you a compliment. I'm happy you decided you should focus on improvement and critique as a primary goal, but you can't really force anyone to give you critique when they feel that they aren't in any place to give some.
So relax and take the compliment, you really are doing a better job and your drawings are improving :)

But if you want some critique: I like what you're doing with the shading, but you should keep in mind that different surfaces have different types of shading. The shading you're doing now looks quite metallic or latex-y, which is good for her superperson-clothes, but should be a little adjusted on skin and hair and such. But you noticed that already, so good for you.
I've made you a guide for shadow and highlights on hair. I've overdone the shadows and highlights a little just to illustrate. Try to avoid shading seperate locks, or otherwise your hair will look a little like plasticine dreadlocks. Generally, hair has a 'crown' of highlights around the top, where the head catches the most light.

New Art Thread

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 12:37:49 Reply

At 3/21/13 12:29 PM, Morthagg wrote: Kiwi, it's totally okay to accept someone giving you a compliment. I'm happy you decided you should focus on improvement and critique as a primary goal, but you can't really force anyone to give you critique when they feel that they aren't in any place to give some.
So relax and take the compliment, you really are doing a better job and your drawings are improving :)

But if you want some critique: I like what you're doing with the shading, but you should keep in mind that different surfaces have different types of shading. The shading you're doing now looks quite metallic or latex-y, which is good for her superperson-clothes, but should be a little adjusted on skin and hair and such. But you noticed that already, so good for you.
I've made you a guide for shadow and highlights on hair. I've overdone the shadows and highlights a little just to illustrate. Try to avoid shading seperate locks, or otherwise your hair will look a little like plasticine dreadlocks. Generally, hair has a 'crown' of highlights around the top, where the head catches the most light.

Thank you, but the black is more for comic-style shading. I plan on having a soft-shading layer underneath the pic, but probably should cut down a little more the black around her hair and face. I will draw another pic of Wildrose, keeping your light guide in mind. Though, I simply must ask about my other drawings and sketches I posted recently. With the shading the way it is, what would you suggest for "Hush" in terms of lighting, because as it stands, the light is coming slightly from behind, but to the viewer's left, and slightly above her. I can fix it in the painted version no problem, but would like you input on how I should go about it.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 14:01:05 Reply

At 3/20/13 09:11 PM, KiwiSundae wrote::

True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that.

Well evidently


This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-21 21:46:33 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:01 PM, Otto wrote: At 3/20/13 09:11 PM, KiwiSundae wrote::
True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that.
Well evidently

Of course...Of course, now I can't draw digitally because my tablet broke...So co-figure. I'll be back to going digital in about a month, though. I should be able to scrape some spare change somewhere after all...


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-23 18:03:46 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:01 PM, Otto wrote: At 3/20/13 09:11 PM, KiwiSundae wrote::
True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that.
Well evidently

I am just curious...What did you think of my newest piece in the portal?


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-24 11:59:41 Reply

At 3/23/13 06:03 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/21/13 02:01 PM, Otto wrote: At 3/20/13 09:11 PM, KiwiSundae wrote::
True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that.
Well evidently
I am just curious...What did you think of my newest piece in the portal?

Well, I think I agree with its solitary review. It's sad you didn't give it a proper reply, though I understand he was a bit crude about it. It's just a bit pointless - however technically you seem to be getting a tiny bit better, even though you resist improvement so much.


This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-26 22:20:31 Reply

At 3/24/13 11:59 AM, Otto wrote:
At 3/23/13 06:03 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/21/13 02:01 PM, Otto wrote: At 3/20/13 09:11 PM, KiwiSundae wrote::
True, but when I draw digitally is what I meant by that.
Well evidently
I am just curious...What did you think of my newest piece in the portal?
Well, I think I agree with its solitary review. It's sad you didn't give it a proper reply, though I understand he was a bit crude about it. It's just a bit pointless - however technically you seem to be getting a tiny bit better, even though you resist improvement so much.

Resist improvement? That's the biggest load of bullshit ever.

And before Absinthe can say anything, this is not your typical "animu". THIS is improvement right here, folks. Oh, and I started drawing guys, too, as my next sketch will demonstrate.

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-26 22:24:39 Reply

What's this? MALE ANATOMY?!! *LE GASP*

<sarcasm>Not to take a dig, but this isn't like Escalus' child porn kind of dudes, either.

Take that and rewind it back. </sarcasm>

New Art Thread


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-26 23:38:04 Reply

At 3/26/13 10:24 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: What's this? MALE ANATOMY?!! *LE GASP*

Well, it's nice to see you trying to break out of your comfort zone, but it doesn't look a whole lot like male anatomy.

His face doesn't have any characteristics that would define him as male. Cut out the body and it just looks like a girl's head. Put the body back in, and it's pretty much an amazonian woman.

You gave him this really obvious hourglass shape in his waist along with some big hips and thighs that exaggerate that fact even more. Men are generally pretty rectangular in that whole section.

The picture above is actually a good reference especially since that guy seems to have the body type that you're going for with that particular drawing. I guess its not exactly a favorable thing to have plastered in your thread, but look up and draw from more references like that, and it'll make a big difference. :)

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread 2013-03-26 23:43:22 Reply

At 3/26/13 11:38 PM, monsterparty wrote:
At 3/26/13 10:24 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: What's this? MALE ANATOMY?!! *LE GASP*
Well, it's nice to see you trying to break out of your comfort zone, but it doesn't look a whole lot like male anatomy.

His face doesn't have any characteristics that would define him as male. Cut out the body and it just looks like a girl's head. Put the body back in, and it's pretty much an amazonian woman.

You gave him this really obvious hourglass shape in his waist along with some big hips and thighs that exaggerate that fact even more. Men are generally pretty rectangular in that whole section.

The picture above is actually a good reference especially since that guy seems to have the body type that you're going for with that particular drawing. I guess its not exactly a favorable thing to have plastered in your thread, but look up and draw from more references like that, and it'll make a big difference. :)

I don't care if those pictures are good reference, I would prefer the pictures to be drawings. I do not care, I do not care, I do not care. Let me reiterate that: I DO NOT FUCKING CARE! I do not want photos of naked men, especially ones showing their junk on my thread. If you want to do that, fine, but censor the damn genitals!

As for the advice you have given me, I appreciate your feedback. I will be working on a new draft on the male picture.


The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature