New Topic Respond to this Topic
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

You gotta hand it to me; at least I'm practicing.

New Art Thread

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 02:58 PM Reply

More hands

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 02:59 PM Reply

I am arming myself with...You know what? After 3 failed post attempts due to limits (fucking HATE that), I'm skipping the pun.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 03:01 PM Reply

Torsos

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 03:25 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 03:01 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Torsos

'Is good you're taking the initiative to practice form. That shows you are passionate about art. You would do better however to use photo references. Practice drawing your own hand for instance and for full bodies, a good quick access to models is Posespace.com. Get out of that comfort zone of drawing one body type and you'll go far.

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 03:25 PM, gayhobbit wrote:
At 3/11/13 03:01 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Torsos
'Is good you're taking the initiative to practice form. That shows you are passionate about art. You would do better however to use photo references. Practice drawing your own hand for instance and for full bodies, a good quick access to models is Posespace.com. Get out of that comfort zone of drawing one body type and you'll go far.

That site is PERFECT! Does it have stuff like fighting poses and such? That would be AWESOME if it did!

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 05:57 PM Reply

This is another design alternative for Wildrose. I know she's supposed to be organic and stuff, but I settled for something more practical. Her color scheme, however will be organic.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 05:59 PM Reply

This is a little one-point perspective practice. It's not much, but it's something...I personally think this could turn out to be an interesting painting.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 05:59 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: This is a little one-point perspective practice. It's not much, but it's something...I personally think this could turn out to be an interesting painting.

Thing is you've got the horizon line nearly at the top of the tower, so the tower either is miniature or built in a hole that is deep below sea level. Just in case you didn't notice!

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 05:59 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: This is a little one-point perspective practice. It's not much, but it's something...I personally think this could turn out to be an interesting painting.

Bro, you haven't been following the line advice they gave you, right? You lines are incredibly shaky and wobbly, a good way to remedy that is to rely more on your shoulder than on your wrists. Try to make broad strokes with your shoulder instead of using several smaller strokes.
For more on what I'm talking about, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXO13-T2L0

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 06:40 PM, JoseFonz wrote:
Bro, you haven't been following the line advice they gave you, right? You lines are incredibly shaky and wobbly, a good way to remedy that is to rely more on your shoulder than on your wrists. Try to make broad strokes with your shoulder instead of using several smaller strokes.
For more on what I'm talking about, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXO13-T2L0

The wobbly texture was intentional. I was trying to simulate a rough kind of stone material, which if I do decide to paint the castle pic, will be further emphasized.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 3/11/13 06:11 PM, Otto wrote:
Thing is you've got the horizon line nearly at the top of the tower, so the tower either is miniature or built in a hole that is deep below sea level. Just in case you didn't notice!

I think the mountain in front of it is just large and slightly narrow...I'll try and paint it sometime. It definitely, at least to me, anyways seems to be an interesting piece.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you thought about my character's re-design.

BBS Signature
IloveNantes
IloveNantes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 06:13 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 05:30 PM, Otto wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.

That's not even how you hold it though. Yes you have to relax your wrist, that is true. However, you also must use your entire arm and in no way should you hold the pencil as if you're writing. Also it's better not to lay the sketchbook flat on the table but its really not mandatory so w/e. lol.

be my fan... because.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 08:17 AM Reply

You mustn't do anything.
You can hold your pens however you damn well please as long as you're getting consistently good results from it.
Is drawing from the wrist less precise? It can be. Does drawing from the elbow or your entire arm make that big a difference? probably not.
The biggest problem with drawing with your wrist is that it isn't good for your wrist, that much repetitive movement over the years can do some serious damage.

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 06:13 AM, IloveNantes wrote:
At 1/27/13 05:30 PM, Otto wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.
That's not even how you hold it though. Yes you have to relax your wrist, that is true. However, you also must use your entire arm and in no way should you hold the pencil as if you're writing. Also it's better not to lay the sketchbook flat on the table but its really not mandatory so w/e. lol.

I actually use my arm and wrist together, though. I mean, I constantly move my arm to go to new places on the paper, and use my wrist to do most of the detailing. That's the way I have been drawing for years, so it just comes naturally to me, I guess.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 08:17 AM, M-Vero wrote: You mustn't do anything.
You can hold your pens however you damn well please as long as you're getting consistently good results from it.
Is drawing from the wrist less precise? It can be. Does drawing from the elbow or your entire arm make that big a difference? probably not.
The biggest problem with drawing with your wrist is that it isn't good for your wrist, that much repetitive movement over the years can do some serious damage.

I have heard that typing is more dangerous than drawing with your wrists. I mean, if you spend a lot of time on the computer, you're going to get some major arthritis some day.

Even so, I use both my arm and my wrist. They sort of cooperate if you will, and that's how I have been drawing for years. However, my concern right now is not my method of whether or not I use my wrist, I want to know your opinion of my re-design.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Since I'm not getting any comments, here's Wildrose's alter ego concept part 1.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 06:13 AM, IloveNantes wrote: That's not even how you hold it though. Yes you have to relax your wrist, that is true. However, you also must use your entire arm and in no way should you hold the pencil as if you're writing. Also it's better not to lay the sketchbook flat on the table but its really not mandatory so w/e. lol.

are you questioning feng zhu

are you really doing this?

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 02:09 PM, Otto wrote:
At 3/13/13 06:13 AM, IloveNantes wrote: That's not even how you hold it though. Yes you have to relax your wrist, that is true. However, you also must use your entire arm and in no way should you hold the pencil as if you're writing. Also it's better not to lay the sketchbook flat on the table but its really not mandatory so w/e. lol.

What's going on? Can we get back to the topic of my art, please? I'm trying to show you guys stuff, and you're quickly straying off-topic. If could, I dunno...Stop that, that would be great.

BBS Signature
maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

To the topic at hand! *cough*

I like the design and costume, it's different. The pose on this pic has been kind of bothersome to me. Also, I understand the style you're emulating with the super squeezed waistline but it feels like we're missing a few organs, like, critical ones.

I saw your pic of this character as a regular un-costumed person and can only suggest you add some features that would set her out above the crowd yet still hint at her superheroine persona.

At 3/13/13 02:42 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 3/13/13 02:09 PM, Otto wrote:

What's going on? Can we get back to the topic of my art, please? I'm trying to show you guys stuff, and you're quickly straying off-topic. If could, I dunno...Stop that, that would be great.

New Art Thread

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 04:29 PM, maficmelody wrote: To the topic at hand! *cough*

I like the design and costume, it's different. The pose on this pic has been kind of bothersome to me. Also, I understand the style you're emulating with the super squeezed waistline but it feels like we're missing a few organs, like, critical ones.

I saw your pic of this character as a regular un-costumed person and can only suggest you add some features that would set her out above the crowd yet still hint at her superheroine persona.

I see that according to you, all that could be fixed with one little line. I only have a little bit of color done, so that one little detail can be fixed no problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 08:42 PM Reply

Okay, here's the latest drawing. I re-did the head, but kept the pose, made a recommended fix to the waist by changing the direction of the line in the middle, and I hid her eyes. I think this way, she would fit the "superhero" shtick more, and it would hide her identity. I have yet to shade them to the rest of the picture, but that should not be a problem. I hope it's an improvement, because though the head is centered, she has it tilted slightly, and in my opinion gives her a bit more "attitude". I dunno...Let me know what you guys think.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 10:31 PM Reply

The first villain design! And yes, her name IS Rocker Bitch.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
HeThinkzLikeNoOthEr
HeThinkzLikeNoOthEr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 09:22 AM Reply

Nice video...ill try to practice that myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

Jesus Saves!!

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 01:04 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

No. Let people talk about helpful videos if they want to.
This pointless reply is one of those I warned you to avoid.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 12:07 AM Reply

So, here is a preview of my image. I have been working on comic panels, which I will scan very soon and I will have the roughs up very soon just to show you my progress. I am using a new shading style based on comic books, so let me know if you like it or not.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 02:46 AM Reply

At 3/19/13 12:07 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: So, here is a preview of my image. I have been working on comic panels, which I will scan very soon and I will have the roughs up very soon just to show you my progress. I am using a new shading style based on comic books, so let me know if you like it or not.

I kinda dig it. It's just starting to go out your comfort zone. That is a good thing. If I saw this outside of your thread, I would be hard pressed to recognize it as yours. Good job.

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 3/19/13 02:46 AM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 3/19/13 12:07 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: So, here is a preview of my image. I have been working on comic panels, which I will scan very soon and I will have the roughs up very soon just to show you my progress. I am using a new shading style based on comic books, so let me know if you like it or not.
I kinda dig it. It's just starting to go out your comfort zone. That is a good thing. If I saw this outside of your thread, I would be hard pressed to recognize it as yours. Good job.

Thank you, but I feel like the black ink is kinda overdone. I'm going to try doing a soft shading layer underneath with the black indicating where the darkest areas are. If that were the case, could you give an example of how to properly achieve the effect I want?

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 11:28 PM Reply

Another preview. This time, I cut back on the black a little. I am now going to work on the shading.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature