New Topic Respond to this Topic
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

Old pic is old, but anyways, I have some new art to show you, and pretty soon, I will have a regularly updated comic. I plan on starting with a simple collection of stories before doing something big and actiony, as that would be entirely too reckless for me. Anyways, wish me luck.

BTW, I re-imagined Gym Leader Elesa from the Black and White Pokemon games. She definitely looks taller and more mature in this one, in my own opinion...But, those hands...Perhaps I forgot to draw the knuckles in...Oh well...I have already started on the painting for this.

New Art Thread

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
AnotherOtto
AnotherOtto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:40 PM Reply

Welcome back I suppose!

My biggest tip to you is try not to 'pet' your line, by which I mean use lots of smaller lines to make bigger ones. It slows down your drawing, sucks out all the energy and makes it straight up harder to improve. Don't draw by moving the wrist, start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.

There's reasons for this - there are too many muscles and tendons in your hand to ever get complete control with. You might feel you have a good grasp on it, but continuing to do so would be like wanting to get better at basketball only if you wore ice-skates. It just doesn't really work. You won't be able to move properly, no matter how much you get good at working around it.

Trust me. Every great artist/draughtsman ever will verify this. I really hope you actually try this! Good luck.

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:45 PM Reply

Thanks for the advice Otto, however, I am already too used to this. Besides, I usually manage to differentiate the details of objects I draw. I will at least give this a try to see if it helps, but as I see it, it's only the sketch, which will be edited on the computer, and I have not had any major issues so far, so I might as well just keep doing what I'm doing. But again, I will give this a shot some time to see if it works.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:46 PM Reply

But I'm being super serious here. Being told this was the best thing that ever happened to my drawing. I can feel myself get better every time, whilst, when I was drawing with my wrist, it became a game of trial and error. You do not want that.

It's easy to forget drawing is a physical thing. Your body is the translator between your ideas and reality. Never forget.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 04:45 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Thanks for the advice Otto, however, I am already too used to this. Besides, I usually manage to differentiate the details of objects I draw. I will at least give this a try to see if it helps, but as I see it, it's only the sketch, which will be edited on the computer, and I have not had any major issues so far, so I might as well just keep doing what I'm doing. But again, I will give this a shot some time to see if it works.

Okay it's a shame you've reacted in this way, I want you to know that it's never too late to do something a better way. Trust me. Don't settle for what you have now. Don't you want better art?

Also, the sketch is almost the most important bit. Why do you think being a storyboard artist is an actual job? Because the sketched foundations are the most important bit. The first bit of any drawing or painting is the hardest part if you're doing it properly, because it requires the most thought. The details should be the relaxing, easy bit. You might not be having issues, I believe that, but.. well, I've made my case.

Please post your tests here! Also this isn't some magic technique that you just test to see the results once or twice, this is a revolution in everything you create - or at least, it was to me.

BBS Signature
Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 04:46 PM, Otto wrote: But I'm being super serious here. Being told this was the best thing that ever happened to my drawing. I can feel myself get better every time, whilst, when I was drawing with my wrist, it became a game of trial and error. You do not want that.

It's easy to forget drawing is a physical thing. Your body is the translator between your ideas and reality. Never forget.

This is very true. It's normal to think you can't really change the way you draw since it seems like it comes naturally, but there really are physical ways that can have an enormeously positive effect on your drawing (and mostly sketching) quality.
If you want to try and loosen your grip, the best things to do are:
1. Draw lots of circles. Not circles that are drawn in one line, but sketchy, quick, mutliple-lines circles you make without lifting your pen from te paper.
2. Make sketches (preferably pose references or another thing referenced), but set a very limited time in which to draw those sketches. Two minutes. One minute. 30 seconds. 15, even. This wil force you to quickly put down a recogniseable impression of an image, which makes it almost impossible to clamp down on your pencil and use those little 'hairy' lines. Try it!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 05:12 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 04:40 PM, AnotherOtto wrote: Welcome back I suppose!

start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.

Show me a youtube video and a tutorial on what your talking about because I dont think im doing it right.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 05:12 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 1/27/13 04:40 PM, AnotherOtto wrote: Welcome back I suppose!

start at the shoulder and use the elbow lots. Your drawing ability will improve and your ability to do nice, smooth lines will dramatically increase.
Show me a youtube video and a tutorial on what your talking about because I dont think im doing it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

Watch the whole thing though, it's very very good. Morthagg has said some other incredibly useful things.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 06:36 PM Reply

Alright, you've made your case, so therefore, I shall give it a try next time. I can't guarantee I won't use my wrist, though, even if it's a little bit.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

Julia Reference #1

This is literally my first time drawing her. I'm thinking I should do something like an 4-8 panel comic about her.

I already have her personality fleshed out: She's a lesbian who is also a lingerie model, who is a bit of a free spirit, having several friends with benefits (like three), and lives with a level-headed and reality focused roommate, Zelda (her pic is coming up next). The two are perfect foils for each other, but the more time they spend with each other...Could Zelda be falling in love? Who knows?

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:36 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Alright, you've made your case, so therefore, I shall give it a try next time. I can't guarantee I won't use my wrist, though, even if it's a little bit.

The point wasn't to make you more rigid, it was to make you more fluid. Just don't rest your wrist down hard on the paper when you draw; move your elbow plenty aswell.

Also her arm is too long

BBS Signature
Nova-Solstice
Nova-Solstice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 02:17 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lives with a level-headed and reality focused roommate, Zelda (her pic is coming up next). The two are perfect foils for each other, but the more time they spend with each other...Could Zelda be falling in love? Who knows?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nova-Solstice
Nova-Solstice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 05:11 PM, Nova-Solstice wrote:
lives with a level-headed and reality focused roommate, Zelda (her pic is coming up next). The two are perfect foils for each other, but the more time they spend with each other...Could Zelda be falling in love? Who knows?

WHY DONT THEY LET ME EDIT THESE THINGS!... erm..

Zelda?... Zelda!?... *shuts up and waits patiently for this*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 05:13 PM, Nova-Solstice wrote:
At 1/29/13 05:11 PM, Nova-Solstice wrote:

WHY DONT THEY LET ME EDIT THESE THINGS!... erm..

Zelda?... Zelda!?... *shuts up and waits patiently for this*

Yes. Her roommate's name is Zelda. Got a problem with that? Also, Otto, I totally agree with you on the arm thing. It's by no means a final design, and is merely a character reference. It's actually the first time I have drawn her, so of course, I'm going to make mistakes. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

BBS Signature
Nova-Solstice
Nova-Solstice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 06:07 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:

:Got a problem with that?

sounds pretty antagonizing, you trying to make this escalate?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 09:34 PM, Nova-Solstice wrote:
At 1/29/13 06:07 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
Got a problem with that?
sounds pretty antagonizing, you trying to make this escalate?

Nah, I'm just messing with you. But seriously, her name is Zelda. I accidentally ended up drawing Julia's first friend with benefits, Adrianna. Hold tight while I post a sexy pic of her. Fair warning, she's mixed.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 10:18 PM Reply

One of Julia's friends with benefits, Adrianna. She's half-white, half-black. Her skin is darker, but her hair is less poofy, and her eyes and face resemble that of a white woman. She's really an odd mix.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:50 PM Reply

Sexy Business Casual. Practice with folds, shading, sitting, etc.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Already an old sketch, but I need to bump this thread some more.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

Logo

New Art Thread

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:33 PM Reply

Again, use references until you actually learn how human beings look and express things with their bodies. Your refusal to do this is the reason why your figures are always awkwardly placed and balanced. At the very least if you refuse to learn anatomy, learn human gestures....

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:48 PM Reply

At 3/8/13 10:33 PM, Template88 wrote: Again, use references until you actually learn how human beings look and express things with their bodies. Your refusal to do this is the reason why your figures are always awkwardly placed and balanced. At the very least if you refuse to learn anatomy, learn human gestures....

Relax...I've got this. I'm working on a webcomic; I'll have PLENTY of gesture practice when I do it.

BBS Signature
Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 11:05 PM Reply

wild rose

lesbian superheroe

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 9th, 2013 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 3/8/13 11:05 PM, Spedmallet wrote: wild rose

lesbian superheroe

You misspelled "superhero". But, yeah, she is.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 9th, 2013 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 1/29/13 10:18 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: One of Julia's friends with benefits, Adrianna. She's half-white, half-black. Her skin is darker, but her hair is less poofy, and her eyes and face resemble that of a white woman. She's really an odd mix.

You're quite sheltered, aren't you

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 9th, 2013 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 3/9/13 09:42 AM, Otto wrote:
At 1/29/13 10:18 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: One of Julia's friends with benefits, Adrianna. She's half-white, half-black. Her skin is darker, but her hair is less poofy, and her eyes and face resemble that of a white woman. She's really an odd mix.
You're quite sheltered, aren't you

Not really; I go to college, do a lot of research, and I have friends I try to regularly hang out with. I'm starting to break out of my shell, and have been for the last several months.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 3/8/13 10:33 PM, Template88 wrote: Again, use references until you actually learn how human beings look and express things with their bodies. Your refusal to do this is the reason why your figures are always awkwardly placed and balanced. At the very least if you refuse to learn anatomy, learn human gestures....

Do you know any good places I can find good superhero poses? I plan on working on some new designs for Wildrose over the next few days and would like to know where I could find some really good poses to reference.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 07:10 PM Reply

Oh, and by the way...How do you get pen pressure sensitivity to work on SAI? I tried some fixes earlier, but couldn't get it to work worth a damn. If anybody can help me fix it, that would be AWESOME.

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 07:45 PM Reply

Do you know any good places I can find good superhero poses? I plan on working on some new designs for Wildrose over the next few days and would like to know where I could find some really good poses to reference.

I don't know about superhero poses, but you might find what you need over at this website: PixelLovely.com
I'd perfer you start with normal poses instead of superhro stuff.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to New Art Thread Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 05:42 AM Reply

Oh my god I laughed so hard reading this.
Thank you very much for making this thread.
10/10.

But seriously, youneed to take these people's advice. You can't live in a delusional world where your art is the best/becoming the best without seriously learning from those who are better. Otherwise you'll have a dulled, unfulfilling improvement curve.

Also I found the lewdness of the characters to be a bit obnoxious.

At 3/10/13 07:10 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Oh, and by the way...How do you get pen pressure sensitivity to work on SAI?

I dunno, what tablet are you using?

BBS Signature