New Topic Respond to this Topic
AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 15:05:11 Reply

I've been wondering this lately; what settings should your speaker's equalizer be? I want the sound to be "real" as other people are going to be listening to it (I really thought my basses were "powerful" only to find that my settings were set on that.) So does it matter what its on, anyway? Or is there a certain standard?

"There never was a master that wasn't a student...

Nitrocore
Nitrocore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 15:28:42 Reply

I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I understand, alot of consumer grade speakers colour the sound by increasing the bass and treble.
If you want the sound to be "real" as you put it, you'll need to produce the track on a set of flat response monitors or reference headphones, so you hear exactly what it sounds like without it being coloured by equalizers,u sing your "powerful" bass as an example.

AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 16:17:02 Reply

At 1/27/13 03:28 PM, Nitrocore wrote: I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I understand, alot of consumer grade speakers colour the sound by increasing the bass and treble.
If you want the sound to be "real" as you put it, you'll need to produce the track on a set of flat response monitors or reference headphones, so you hear exactly what it sounds like without it being coloured by equalizers,u sing your "powerful" bass as an example.

Thanks, that was what I was wondering- like a normal audio playback with no "extras". What settings would you consider?

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 16:26:42 Reply

That really depends on the way your studio looks. Reflections form the walls can cause major changes to the original sound. I have no experience with this because I use headphones only, but Breed is very helpful when it comes to cases like this.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 16:42:48 Reply

At 1/27/13 04:26 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: That really depends on the way your studio looks. Reflections form the walls can cause major changes to the original sound. I have no experience with this because I use headphones only, but Breed is very helpful when it comes to cases like this.

Ahhh...Breed is indeed.

ReconCraftTheta
ReconCraftTheta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-27 17:03:27 Reply

Part of dilaing in your equalizer is sort of to taste. I mean yeah, there's just blasting the bass and ruining people's ears but at the same time, as a producer, it's up to you what sounds good EQ wise.

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-28 14:42:19 Reply

Flat frequency response for producing. Anybody's guess with whatever else...

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Equalizer Settings 2013-01-28 17:44:49 Reply

Thanks for everything, guys! I fixed it.

Now, to master some tracks... :)