New Topic Respond to this Topic
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:54 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Thing is, enforcement isn't necessarily going to move anyone to leave a review.

Not enforcement, but reinforcement, meaning we reward people for leaving good reviews. For example, if the creator rates a review as 'helpful', then the one that left that review might get more voting power in return. Another idea is to have awards like 'reviewer of the month'.

BBS Signature
Chelnov
Chelnov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:36 AM Reply

I think that a lot of people at newgrounds definitely need some incentive to make reviews, and specially good ones.
I try to make reviews every time i can, and even though i know that my reviews are not so great as they should be (because i still lack experience in music...) i think that its important to make them anyway.
That's my way of thanking others for making good reviews of my songs too.
Its important to help our mates around here like we would like to be helped.
If newgrounds is a community its imperative to help and welcome everyone.
Reviews are very important to learn new things and grow as an artist, so maybe a new review system would be nice to motivate people to do more and more reviews.

Cheers everyone!

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:03 AM Reply

I value reviews more than downloads or views. I would read through them many times before I decide to reply back

I admit that I write reviews that many on here can consider as crap. I like to make things short and quick, putting all the positive points and negative points, if have.

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:54 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 11:03 AM, Elitistinen wrote: I value reviews more than downloads or views. I would read through them many times before I decide to reply back

I admit that I write reviews that many on here can consider as crap. I like to make things short and quick, putting all the positive points and negative points, if have.

At least you have some of them, lol.
What gets me angry is when someone download the track and doesn't review, or people who have no physical time to listen the track and they vote 0 (I just uploaded a new track, in 1 minute there were already some votes...)

SUCK MY KICK

EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 11:54 AM, Lachi wrote: What gets me angry is when someone download the track and doesn't review

Don't get angry at that, instead, look at it this way: someone appreciated your song so much that he / she downloaded it. In this case a download means someone liked it.

they vote 0 (I just uploaded a new track, in 1 minute there were already some votes...)

While not related to reviewing, it is a well-known problem. There have been threads about this before, yet no solutions have been implemented.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 12:06 PM, EagleGuard wrote: In this case a download means someone liked it.

Let's hope! Lol.
Thanks anyway for clayrifing

SUCK MY KICK

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 09:09 AM, EagleGuard wrote:
At 1/31/13 07:54 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Thing is, enforcement isn't necessarily going to move anyone to leave a review.
Not enforcement, but reinforcement, meaning we reward people for leaving good reviews. For example, if the creator rates a review as 'helpful', then the one that left that review might get more voting power in return. Another idea is to have awards like 'reviewer of the month'.

Review Request club for all your reinforcing goodness: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1072042/1

btw all your music is awsom ppl all of u are legends 10 and multiple 5's

There, my reviewing is done for the day.

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

Mushraven
Mushraven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 1/30/13 10:42 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
At 1/30/13 10:10 PM, Mushraven wrote: Personally I would review a lot more if I thought I was qualified to criticize some of the excellent material on here. I'm still learning the ropes myself and I've been absent quite a lot. I guess since you brought up this thread however I could muster up a few reviews.
Hey! Don't worry, reviewing helps you learn, actually. Besides, commenting on what you like is as important as what you don't like.

To be honest, I reviewed a ton before I actually was very good... it helped me get some friends AND taught me to understand what I used more deeply! :)

Thanks! I guess you're right. I mean I do listen to a lot of material on NG but I hardly ever review unless it's something I really like. Some of the stuff I don't like, I don't really know how to accurately critique. I guess I just need to keep "getting in the ring," so to speak.

BBS Signature
jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:54 AM Reply

I am always up for reviewing music. I love to learn from other people to discover new sounds, and styles of music. I can't say that I have ever refused to review anything. So if you want some reviews, just send me a request. I do in fact go to almost every page of the people that review my work.

I am still a fledgling, you see, in making live recordings, and I can't tell you how impactful NG has been in helping me to become a better musician and producer. I will do everything I can to return the favor.

~J

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 09:29 AM Reply

I am tired of having 5ish star songs with good reviews that taper off into nothing due to lack of exposure. So my new policy is :

If you take the time to rate/review a song of mine (or favorite my music of course) as soon as I see that you have and have a spare moment- I will listen to your music and leave you a review.
And not a bullshit "gud bro i liek" review either- I will really sit with your music critically- and do my best to really offer constructive criticism as well as point out things that I enjoy, etc.

I am also going to start trying to leave at least one Audio Review a day regardless of whether people are interacting with my music or not.

BBS Signature
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:18 AM Reply

Another unfortunate issue with reviewing is:

I just gave an honest review to a user called "crueltool" - (which was 3 stars and included praise)

He responded to my review by saying " I think you just little hater-boy" and then my top two songs magically went down about 0.40 points each.

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:18 AM, Armoniascuro wrote: Another unfortunate issue with reviewing is:

It's not an issue. Your attitude regarding the outcome is the issue.

you've written 13 reviews in the last 3 years, stop being pretentious: you don't like reviewing, you just like reviews, or rather, the rush you get when some guy is stroking your audio penis.

and there's nothing wrong with that, just dont be all this and that about it.

just imo

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:43 AM Reply

I didn't start writing reviews until I started contributing music. And If i didnt want to promote my songs I wouldn't be in the audio portal. But feel free to stroke my audio penis.

BBS Signature
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:33 AM, la-yinn wrote: It's not an issue. Your attitude regarding the outcome is the issue.

Also, spite/rage 0 voting is more of an issue that your perception of my attitude.

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:18 AM, Armoniascuro wrote: Another unfortunate issue with reviewing

Unfortunate as it may be, you can't change people's attitudes. Sure, it sucks when someone responds in a negative way to your review, but these things are inevitable. No need to put those people to shame here.

Also, I like to think of the Audio Forum as something that is atleast somewhat more mature than the other forums. Please refrain from posting childish comments.

BBS Signature
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:25 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 11:21 AM, EagleGuard wrote:
At 2/1/13 10:18 AM, Armoniascuro wrote: Another unfortunate issue with reviewing
Unfortunate as it may be, you can't change people's attitudes. Sure, it sucks when someone responds in a negative way to your review, but these things are inevitable. No need to put those people to shame here.

Also, I like to think of the Audio Forum as something that is atleast somewhat more mature than the other forums. Please refrain from posting childish comments.

Well if your referring to my comments, It was more of a reactionary "when in rome" kind of situation to what was said tome. But I agree about the shame post, thanks for putting it into perspective. I shouldnt have used his name. If there were an edit/delete button on posts, it would already be gone.

BBS Signature
BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:01 PM Reply

This thread is really guilt-tripping me. I want to review more, I like to review submissions. But school, life...(*sigh*). I know I'm just making excuses...

BBS Signature
Music-story
Music-story
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:16 PM Reply

If you don't want to review then don't review. And if you don't want to review unless someone else reviews you first, then don't ever review. AP will stay the same and giving points for a "helpful" review is pointless. Some random person keeps hitting the helpful review even if the review is not helpful. I know this because I never have hit the "helpful" button on reviews of my stuff and miraculously it turns into a helpful review. I couldn't imagine the person labeling their own review as helpful cause that would be sad. Also to those who do not understand why their song gets 0/5 so quickly; it is not because someone hates you 98% of the time. This has been going on for many years and is towards all the songs though I do have some suspicion towards particular artists that have like 20 of their songs always at the top of the list. There have been numerous threads like this with plenty of complaints and the admin has not fixed or attempted to fix the problem and I don't see why they would waste their time to do so. Just be happy that you have a free site to post your songs to. There are many other free music sites to post your music and get reviews from. However, kudos to those who give reviews because they want to w/o any incentive such as a reward or a review in return. And guys, the solution is simple. If you want a review, ASK for one. I'm sure all the people who posted on this thread are willing to take a bit of time out of their day to help you out.

Bye for now

At 2/2/13 02:01 PM, BenjaminTibbetts wrote: This thread is really guilt-tripping me. I want to review more, I like to review submissions. But school, life...(*sigh*). I know I'm just making excuses...

My inspiration comes from God

Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:16 PM, Music-story wrote: If you want a review, ASK for one. I'm sure all the people who posted on this thread are willing to take a bit of time out of their day to help you out.

I have done this a couple times. 50% of the time it works. But don't just write a one liner review and say "PLZ REVIEW ME BACK TRTLROTRLT!!!

Misanthrum
Misanthrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:01 PM, BenjaminTibbetts wrote: This thread is really guilt-tripping me. I want to review more, I like to review submissions. But school, life...(*sigh*). I know I'm just making excuses...

you should be ashamed. quit school and life and get the hell on newgrounds and review non stop.

rules aren't what keep me in abidance.

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:35 PM, DoxOfficial wrote:
you should be ashamed. quit school and life and get the hell on newgrounds and review non stop.

Good idea. While doing this, I envision myself slowly consuming a gigantic pile of Pop-Tarts.

BBS Signature
Misanthrum
Misanthrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:40 PM, BenjaminTibbetts wrote: Good idea. While doing this, I envision myself slowly consuming a gigantic pile of Pop-Tarts.

I love pop tarts XD getting off topic..

rules aren't what keep me in abidance.

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:07 PM Reply

Well, I would be much more active on this site, but I'm against NG's general principle of "review to be reviewed". I think an artists job (don't hold me to this btw, I'm nowhere near being an artist yet) is to produce good music. I am NOT saying that other artists shouldn't review other works: in fact I'd encourage them to do so. But it shouldn't be such a vital, integrated part of the system. What NG needs is more causal listeners... from what I see most of the reviewers (in less famous tracks anyway) are artists themselves, and although these provide awesome constructive criticism, they're wasting time which they could be inputting into music-production!
Just my 2-cents on this topic!

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:31 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 04:07 PM, SoulofT wrote: What NG needs is more causal listeners... from what I see most of the reviewers (in less famous tracks anyway) are artists themselves, and although these provide awesome constructive criticism, they're wasting time which they could be inputting into music-production!

Maybe. This hasn't been my experience. It seems that comments provide equal value to their authors by helping them to organize their thoughts regarding music composition and production. What serves as awesome constructive criticism for another person's track may also serve as a preemptive strike against mediocrity and unsuccess in one's own work-in-progress.

BBS Signature
Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where are the reviewers? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

After listening to a few tracks on here today I've noticed that there are more frequent new reviews on new tracks now.

This is awesome. :)

Again, you don't have to write a long essay unless you really think the song needs a major improvement...