Be a Supporter!
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 08:23:22 Reply

There are quite few mmos made almost entirely in flash, but mostly those are series of windows or frames, on which variables are changing, and nothing really happens OR interactive chatrooms divided to small rooms.

Games like Transformice are proof that you can make a good game with just a good interactive chatroom, but we've seen things like Doom Flash port and several other 3d games in flash, and it makes me wonder how capable flash is of running a "huge" game.

A simple MMO like Tibia or MU Online with big maps and lots of players fighting with lots of mobs at the same time, where every tile is an object - is something like this possible to fluently run on a flash client?

Also, are programs like SmartFox server and so on good for anything like that? Or a huge map with thousands of objects just being floor isn't just good idea no matter what You use?

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 09:04:00 Reply

With the latest developments in flash's 3d capabilities it is indeed possible to have a large MMO running on the flash player much like other MMO's. But the thing is: flash is not the best tool for that job.
Flash is nice for small applications that users can download and don't have to worry about installation and storage and security threats. Click on a link, play, and forget.
If you are going to make a huge MMO you can expect at the very least that your players are willing to install your game on their computer, not only for better performance but also more stability.
Especially with 3d and today's standards you don't want to wait 1 hour for your 3 gb flash to download before you can play.

Although it is possible it is not viable. Maybe a simpler 2d game might be possible or 3d with low fidelity (resulting in Minecraft like graphics).

Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 09:07:49 Reply

Thanks for reply. I didn't mean to make 3d MMO. More like a 2d mmo, but with lots and lots of objects on the map. I wasn't sure it it would work good with huge numbers of objects on the screen. Would it?

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 09:12:32 Reply

At 1/26/13 09:07 AM, Makakaov wrote: Thanks for reply. I didn't mean to make 3d MMO. More like a 2d mmo, but with lots and lots of objects on the map. I wasn't sure it it would work good with huge numbers of objects on the screen. Would it?

That all depends on how you plan to optmize your game, you can use blitting or BitmapData to draw your objects, they will almost cost any fps although that's not also the best way, sometimes blitting can be slow. You can also try loading from arrays the objects while you are walking, you will just have to find a way of not making this fps consuming etc.

Jin
Jin
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 09:51:19 Reply

Even if you made one it wouldn't be well received simply because of the lack of interest. Family Guy MMO didn't even make it past open beta.

BBS Signature
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 09:55:12 Reply

Thanks for replies. I'll come up with something from this point.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to MMO in Flash? 2013-01-26 13:00:53 Reply

you can have 3D and you can have sockets.
Take it from me, it it very possible to have a 3D MMO in Flash. It is just a massive pain in the goddamn ass to create it.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature