New Topic Respond to this Topic
MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 20:31:48 Reply

I've seen people refer to speakers as "monitors". Why is this? Isn't monitor like, well.. A computer monitor?.

Misanthrum
Misanthrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 20:32:22 Reply

At 1/24/13 08:31 PM, MatrixGravity wrote: I've seen people refer to speakers as "monitors". Why is this? Isn't monitor like, well.. A computer monitor?.

they monitor sound

rules aren't what keep me in abidance.

MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 20:34:01 Reply

At 1/24/13 08:32 PM, DoxOfficial wrote:
At 1/24/13 08:31 PM, MatrixGravity wrote: I've seen people refer to speakers as "monitors". Why is this? Isn't monitor like, well.. A computer monitor?.
they monitor sound

Yeah but let's say you walk into a best buy and ask somebody if they sell "monitors", most people will assume you're talking about a computer monitor. That's why it confuses me..

Misanthrum
Misanthrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 20:38:35 Reply

At 1/24/13 08:31 PM, MatrixGravity wrote:
Yeah but let's say you walk into a best buy and ask somebody if they sell "monitors", most people will assume you're talking about a computer monitor. That's why it confuses me..

then they will just say "oh sorry, i wasn't referring to computer screens, i was referring to speakers". other than that, it's just jargon language used between people who use the same terms. I personally have never referred speakers as monitors, but it makes sense.

rules aren't what keep me in abidance.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 21:03:08 Reply

Speakers designed for general listening are called speakers; speakers designed for studio production, aka for monitoring sound, are called monitors.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-24 21:35:31 Reply

At 1/24/13 09:03 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Speakers designed for general listening are called speakers; speakers designed for studio production, aka for monitoring sound, are called monitors.

+1

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-25 11:39:32 Reply

There are certain differences between normal speakers and studio monitors.
Speakers are generally designed to fill a certain need. From trying to make music more bombastic (the hi-fi speakers) to stuff that cover just the very low frequencies and the mid-high ones (surround, targeted to home cinema), all of those doesn't offer a realistic image of frequencies.
On the other hand, the studio monitors are designed to have a flat response, so you can hear mixing mistakes and have a better feedback on your work (as in, you can monitor what you mix).

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why are speakers called "monitors"? 2013-01-25 12:45:48 Reply

The term "monitors" also has an important connotation in the world of live/staged music.

Speakers are used to "speak" to the audience, and face them. Stage monitors face back toward the band/performers so that they can "monitor" what their output is sounding like to the audience.

It's a square and rectangle concept. A square is always a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square. Likewise, a monitor is always technically also a speaker, but a speaker isn't necessarily always a monitor.