00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkyonVeil just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Books you're currently reading...

13,756 Views | 197 Replies

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-04-03 10:40:02

H.P Lovecraft's great tales of horror

The Girl who kicked the hornet's nest.

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-04-03 10:58:13

Recently finished Elfen Lied, considering starting Shingeki no Kjoyin (Attack on Titan) but may hold off until after the next season of the anime airs.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-04-03 11:23:43

At 4/3/14 08:09 AM, DistantSniper wrote: Currently reading Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. My brother let me borrow his first edition copy, and I was hooked after the prologue. I also went out and bought The Cardinal of the Kremlin, also by Tom Clancy.

I'm really into military/counter-terrorism type books, although new to them.

I have Rainbow Six but it's absolutely massive and I haven't got round to reading it because of college.

Just started The Road by Cormac Mccarthy after several recommendations though, great so far!

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-04-17 05:10:26

Currently on 451 Fahrenheit
I really like it so far. Clarisse is a nice character.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-04-17 07:31:15

Bronson!

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-06-29 08:44:16

The Pride of life by Rhandi Fisher

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-15 23:58:15

Currently reading (and wrapping up) Conjuring by James Randi.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-25 08:02:15

At 1/24/13 07:45 PM, KillerSkull wrote: This is a thread to share which books you are currently enjoying. For me, I'm reading and trapped in three.

next up on my list is:
"Final Exam: A surgeons reflection on Mortality."

I'm reading 1984 from George Orwell. I really like it.

till we overdose

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-25 11:40:11

Faust by Goethe

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-25 11:43:49

I plan on getting the new Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook.
I need to develop some NPCs etc for the campaigns I'm trying to make.

That'll be a fun read.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-25 11:57:03

I wish I could read.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-08-25 20:51:30

I haven't read a good book in a while.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 12:07:16

Wanted to bump this again in the hope that some other people might post what they're reading. Been reading a lot more regularly as of recent, so on the lookout for ideas of what to read next.

I'm currently about half way through A Brave New World. It had quite an uneventful beginning I guess but it's finally looking like it's going to pick up now. Definitely seems like the kind of thing you'd be made to read in school. Not sure how I managed to avoid it.

Also just recently finished reading Fahrenheit 451 which I quite enjoyed. Reminded me a lot of 1984, although I definitely preferred that.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 12:38:34

Decided to give some of the old, popular authors a shot, so I went and bought
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Last of the Plainsmen by Zane Grey
The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain
and the one I'm currently reading The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

I don't find The Old Man and the Sea particularly engaging, but it's simple and straight forward.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 12:51:02

Currently reading "What If?" by Randall Munroe (xkcd guy) and the repair manual for my car.

Then I'll move onto "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut or "Arena" by William R. Forstchen.

If it counts, I've also been reading my electronics textbook.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 12:56:29

At 10/18/14 12:07 PM, Dean wrote: I'm currently about half way through A Brave New World. It had quite an uneventful beginning I guess but it's finally looking like it's going to pick up now. Definitely seems like the kind of thing you'd be made to read in school. Not sure how I managed to avoid it.

Also just recently finished reading Fahrenheit 451 which I quite enjoyed. Reminded me a lot of 1984, although I definitely preferred that.

Basically, in my entire life in public school, there were only three Sci-fi books we were required to read: Enders Game, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451. I liked Enders Game and A Brave New World, but I don't recall enjoying 451 so much and I think it had something to do with the on and off pacing of the book. Having said that, I did find the basic concept interesting and I should give it another read.

And I agree that A Brave New World is slow for pretty much the entire first half, I'm surprised it didn;t ruin the book for me but the last half did make up for it.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 13:01:54

At 8/25/14 11:54 AM, FordV8 wrote: Free thought

Now you're on more watch lists than I am.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 13:44:51

At 10/18/14 12:56 PM, KillerSkull wrote: Basically, in my entire life in public school, there were only three Sci-fi books we were required to read: Enders Game, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451.

I can't really think of ever having to read Sci-fi at school. The two main books I recall having to read at school were Of Mice and Men, which I remember quite liking, and a book called The Kite Runner which I thought sounded incredibly boring when the teacher described it to us but I ended up enjoying it too.

I don't recall enjoying 451 so much and I think it had something to do with the on and off pacing of the book. Having said that, I did find the basic concept interesting and I should give it another read.

Yea, I'm still quite undecided on how much I liked that book. I did enjoy it but I just don't feel like it lived up to it's name, in my opinion. I only read it because it's a title I hear people mentioning again and again but like you say, I guess the pacing was a bit weird.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 13:56:04

Uncle Tom's Cabin always seemed like a book that everyone knows about, but has never actually read. I've only got the first couple of chapters in, but very interesting so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 14:05:16

Been reading Hitchhiker's Guide but the cold mistress of public school has forced Hamlet into my life

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 15:47:54

At 10/18/14 12:07 PM, Dean wrote: Wanted to bump this again in the hope that some other people might post what they're reading. Been reading a lot more regularly as of recent, so on the lookout for ideas of what to read next.

I'm currently about half way through A Brave New World. It had quite an uneventful beginning I guess but it's finally looking like it's going to pick up now. Definitely seems like the kind of thing you'd be made to read in school. Not sure how I managed to avoid it.

I was thinking about reading that one again someday. The only thing I remember is the last chapters being a bit weird.

As for me, I'm reading through The Lord of the Rings right now. For some reason I have never read the series in full and I've been planning to do so ever since I was still in high school (which was many years ago). I picked up a box set earlier this year and I finally got to reading them. Currently I'm halfway into The Two Towers.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 16:19:48

"Dark World" by: Zak Baggins.
In case you didn't know I'm a paranormal buff.
From ghosts to aliens and even certain cryptids.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 16:28:13

At 10/18/14 03:47 PM, Auz wrote: As for me, I'm reading through The Lord of the Rings right now. For some reason I have never read the series in full and I've been planning to do so ever since I was still in high school (which was many years ago). I picked up a box set earlier this year and I finally got to reading them. Currently I'm halfway into The Two Towers.

Nice, I have a Lord of the Rings set ordered. Watched the extended editions of the films again recently and they really got me wanting to try reading the books. There's quite a nice looking set being released later this month too that includes the Hobbit and they're all small hardbacks with imitation leather covers. Looks really neat.

Also interested in checking out the Song of Ice and Fire books but not really sure if I want to start reading such a massive series. Similar problem with Discworld, although I gather you can pretty much just read any Discworld book without having to read the previous ones?

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 16:41:37

Right know im about 100 pages into the book "Doctor Sleep" By Stephen King,you so far so good in my opinion.

In case you didnt know, Dr Sleep is the sequal too "The Shining"

At 10/18/14 04:28 PM, Dean wrote: Similar problem with Discworld, although I gather you can pretty much just read any Discworld book without having to read the previous ones?

I don't think you would have the same problem with Discworld as Song of Ice and Fire, since the majority of the books have their own independent storyline. You could read one book and be content. I think the growing character histories tend to be more of a problem for newer readers, but I'd rather direct people to the first few books, anyway. I bought my friend "Guards! Guards!" as an introductory book.

I'm reading Jasper Fforde's "Something Rotten", and I have Joe Abercrombie's "Half A King" to finish soon after. EDIT: Oh, and I read Frederick Forsythe's "The Odessa File" at my friend's house.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 16:54:36

Just got done reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, and it was a really interesting read.

Right now, I'm in the middle of "Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State" by Ralph Nader, and while it's a bit slower to read, it's still pretty interesting.

Whenever I'm finished with that, I'm planning to read "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance" by Noam Chomsky. I haven't started it, but it looked interesting, so I picked it up.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-18 17:48:21

At 10/18/14 04:28 PM, Dean wrote:
At 10/18/14 03:47 PM, Auz wrote: As for me, I'm reading through The Lord of the Rings right now. For some reason I have never read the series in full and I've been planning to do so ever since I was still in high school (which was many years ago). I picked up a box set earlier this year and I finally got to reading them. Currently I'm halfway into The Two Towers.
Nice, I have a Lord of the Rings set ordered. Watched the extended editions of the films again recently and they really got me wanting to try reading the books. There's quite a nice looking set being released later this month too that includes the Hobbit and they're all small hardbacks with imitation leather covers. Looks really neat.

Also interested in checking out the Song of Ice and Fire books but not really sure if I want to start reading such a massive series. Similar problem with Discworld, although I gather you can pretty much just read any Discworld book without having to read the previous ones?

I was thinking about reading Song of Ice and Fire too, but it's like what... 1000 pages per book? I generally read through books quite slowly. They'd probably take me a year or two to finish at my normal reading pace and I think I'd rather just read 15 other books I intended to check out instead.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-19 13:53:51

So I recently started reading the "Hitchhiker's" series myself but due to the assload of school work I have at the moment I'm at a stand still in the middle of the first novel.

At 10/18/14 04:54 PM, Scarface wrote: Right now, I'm in the middle of "Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State" by Ralph Nader, and while it's a bit slower to read, it's still pretty interesting.

That actually sounds real interesing, I'm going to check out this book.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-19 13:57:18

At 10/19/14 01:53 PM, KillerSkull wrote:
At 10/18/14 04:54 PM, Scarface wrote: Right now, I'm in the middle of "Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State" by Ralph Nader, and while it's a bit slower to read, it's still pretty interesting.
That actually sounds real interesing, I'm going to check out this book.

I really like it. While Ralph Nader is obviously left-leaning, he stresses bipartisan politics to keep corporations from gaining too much power in the government, something that a lot of conservatives and liberals both support.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2014-10-19 13:58:04

50 shades of Fulp