Be a Supporter!
Tired-Maniac
Tired-Maniac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 06:14 PM Reply

Seems all my life with video games, particularly RPG's and JRPG's such as Final Fantasy, I've had an extreme compulsion to get every single item in the game and not miss a single secret. This of course, doesn't make the game fun as I am forced to spend days researching the game I want to play to ensure that I don't miss a single thing within the game. If I do, i'll have to restart the whole game again.

Therefore, my experience with video games and particularly RPG's isn't as fun as I would intend it to be, and feels more like a chore then actually having fun and playing through the game like i'd want to, all because I have an extreme compulsion to find everything, every item, every spell ect. or i'll get fustrated and restart/quit playing. In FF7 I had every item in the game, equipment, materia, (made sure not to sell ANYTHING), all key items, which took weeks of preperation beforehand :/

I don't understand it, I don't like it i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this?

My sig? I have no idea.

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 06:14 PM, Tired-Maniac wrote: Seems all my life with video games, particularly RPG's and JRPG's such as Final Fantasy, I've had an extreme compulsion to get every single item in the game and not miss a single secret. This of course, doesn't make the game fun as I am forced to spend days researching the game I want to play to ensure that I don't miss a single thing within the game. If I do, i'll have to restart the whole game again.

Therefore, my experience with video games and particularly RPG's isn't as fun as I would intend it to be, and feels more like a chore then actually having fun and playing through the game like i'd want to, all because I have an extreme compulsion to find everything, every item, every spell ect. or i'll get fustrated and restart/quit playing. In FF7 I had every item in the game, equipment, materia, (made sure not to sell ANYTHING), all key items, which took weeks of preperation beforehand :/

I don't understand it, I don't like it i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this?

With the way I figure to get all of those items unprepared or not makes it a challenge with in itself and good money management. It seems like a waste of time to level up each character to be 99 or higher though

Tired-Maniac
Tired-Maniac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 07:00 AM Reply

Yeah, I guess it is a challenge, but video games are a general challenge in themselves and are fun at the same time also. The thing about pre-preparing the game to get absolutly everything as a forced compulsion isn't fun atall, but I feel compelled to do it. It sucks, if anyone else feels this way about JRPG's i'd really like to know

My sig? I have no idea.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 1/24/13 06:14 PM, Tired-Maniac wrote: I am forced

This one part defeats the whole purpose. OCD people (much like myself) love playing RPGs for this exact thing. There is a space missing here in my mountains of data. What could go there and where can I find it. We're all little raccoons with grubby little paws.

Saying you're forced is just silly. A lot of people will pass by items in RPGs because it either isn't worth the time or they just don't give a shit period.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
RyanRoxx666
RyanRoxx666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 06:14 PM, Tired-Maniac wrote: Seems all my life with video games, particularly RPG's and JRPG's such as Final Fantasy, I've had an extreme compulsion to get every single item in the game and not miss a single secret. This of course, doesn't make the game fun as I am forced to spend days researching the game I want to play to ensure that I don't miss a single thing within the game. If I do, i'll have to restart the whole game again.

I've had this, hell I still have this, but it doesn't bother me.

I've collected every item in every single English release Tales Of JRPG...

I've done it for Symphonia at least 3 times, I even wrote a 100% walkthrough...

Damn. I'm a saddo.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

When I play RPG games I do sort of feel the urge to collect as many things as I can and beat the game to near 100%. Therefore I do often find myself reading a walkthrough whilst playing just to prevent missing out on miss-able items. For items that are very hard to get I can't be arsed though, like the Excalibur 2 in Final Fantasy 9 (which requires you to make it to some place in the final dungeon within 12 hours).

Using a walkthrough does take away a little bit from the fun of finding things out by yourself, but on the other hand I'd also hate to miss out on content hidden in the game.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 07:33 PM Reply

If you are putting research into it before you even begin playing then that is just being stupid and preventing yourself from enjoying the game. Actual OCD people will play the game through attempting to do things like collecting even numbers of items and leveling everyone up etc. and exploring everything they see thoroughly, then for the next playthrough they may do some research to look for the things they know they missed.

Speaking as something who is very OCD about completionism and evenness, I find your thoughts on it laughable at best. If you truly do want to ruin the game and stop at every single point to check online for things rather than just learning then feel free to, but don't defend it like others would who actually play the bloody games.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 05:11 PM, Auz wrote: When I play RPG games I do sort of feel the urge to collect as many things as I can and beat the game to near 100%. Therefore I do often find myself reading a walkthrough whilst playing just to prevent missing out on miss-able items. For items that are very hard to get I can't be arsed though, like the Excalibur 2 in Final Fantasy 9 (which requires you to make it to some place in the final dungeon within 12 hours).

This is very much true. I myself know every secret in such games as I burnt them into my memory for when I will next play them, and those more statistical things I have written down for example I draw my own maps for games which require them (as we used to do for adventure games) more recently for games with hidden screens, for example I have a perfectly drawn square by square map of Abe's Oddysee with every room and the adjacent secret rooms so while playing it I can notice if I accidentally miss a secret from memory. I also did the same for all the discoveries in Skies of Arcadia, though again I know them all off by heart for having to find them so many times I have also drawn them in such a way that will help in case I ever get stuck (as some of them are highly irritating and move in annoying ways without any visible reference to their location)

Tbh making your own guides is far superior to using guides. Of course getting the information is best to begin with but then writing it / drawing it in such a way that makes it easier for you personally makes it far more useful. As full guides tend to just be full of countless bullshit you don't need.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

OCD

goddamnit...

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 10:37 PM Reply

Oooooh boy, do I have effing OCD with RPGs.
I mean, I've restarted Fallout: New Vegas for about 3-5 times now.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

Guys, come on.

meticulousness =/= OCD

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:23 AM Reply

Yo, go boot up MGS4 and give that a go, you'll never sleep again.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 11:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Guys, come on.

meticulousness =/= OCD

14 keys vs 3 keys (4 with holding shift)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:36 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:30 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: 14 keys vs 3 keys (4 with holding shift)

wut

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Ocd With Rpg Games Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 02:49 PM Reply

I still like trying to play RPGs without guides but I always get annoyed if someone asks "Hey Dean, did you get that super amazing weapon that you can find in the dungeon that you can never go back into?". When that happens it makes me want to look at a guide prior to playing the game, so I wont miss something important but then by looking at a guide I'm ruining the experience in a way, because I'll know where things are that were meant as player rewards for exploration.

The thing that I get worked up the most at with RPGs is levelling systems. I find it hard to make decisions for myself when it comes to spending EXP points. I feel like I have to use a guide to make sure I'm spending them in the most effective way. It's a habit that I've been trying to drop though. Getting so worked up about getting all the items and dealing EXP in the best possible way stops me having fun with the games. It makes them feel like a chore. Like I have to spend my EXP points like this and I have to go there to get that super amazing hidden weapon. It's not fun.

Next RPG I play, whatever that may be, I'm going into it with no guide and I'm just going to play for fun, not to get the best stats. Getting the best stats and stuff can be saved for a future second playthrough.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature