New Topic Respond to this Topic
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 08:57 AM Reply

Unhappy with the slow pace of public health efforts to curb AmericaâEUTMs stubborn obesity epidemic, a prominent bioethicist is proposing a new push for what he says is an âEUoeedgier strategyâEU to promote weight loss: ginning up social stigma.

Link

What do you guys think? Personally, I'm ready to let all these fat people know how really disgusting I think they are.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 11:44 AM Reply

Why can't we point out to people who are fat that they are?

lel

HomicidialFrog
HomicidialFrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 11:45 AM Reply

Meh, live and let live.

If the cuckoo does not sing, kill it.
"I believe in the democratization of fear." - Darth Jadus

SirFinland
SirFinland
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 11:50 AM Reply

Loving your username OP.

Weeaboo
Weeaboo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 11:52 AM Reply

At 1/24/13 11:45 AM, HomicidialFrog wrote: Meh, live and let live.

No.
Thats why fat people believe its totally okay to be and become fat and do nothing to stop it.

What a beautiful Duwang!

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:04 PM Reply

The article made an interesting point about shaming smoking and smokers. Point out smoking as a nasty habit and disgusting is a major factor in "tabacco-free" organizations, and it's effective.

Therefore, Imbedding the social idea that being overweight or obese are disgusting life choices should also be just as effective in reducing obesity.

However, where would we draw the line in terms of discrimination? If your mom was overweight, would you be able to tell her that her body is revolting and offensive and needs to lose weight? Personally I wouldn't.

I've always believed that positive psychological reinforcement is always much more effective than negative reinforcement.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:04 PM Reply

My grandmother is fattist.

Most old people are racist. Hate blacks, or mexicans or whatever. My grandma hates fat people. No lie. It's really, really, really fucking weird.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:36 PM Reply

Simply put, this will never work. You just know that discrimination will be rampant and it's possible that we don't know where to draw the line if we make fat people ashamed, more so then they already are. Shaming people into doing anything to gain people's trust is pretty low, and I have no idea what this guy is even thinking coming up with this.

Next thing we're going to do, we'll be shunning beer drinkers and masterbaters.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 12:04 PM, Saen wrote:

Truth hurts. These twats that managed to become obese have a mental problem and need force to help themselves.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Dont we already do that? And have foreign countries do that for us when we get tired of doing it to each other?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 12:48 PM, Bees wrote: if people arent strong enough to lose weight it should be accepted as their life choice.

if people aren't strong enough to lose weight it's not their choice, just really pathetic. people who are obese should feel ashamed. here's a list of historical figures which were obese: hitler, bush, mao, stalin, pol pot

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 12:48 PM, Bees wrote: if people arent strong enough to lose weight it should be accepted as their life choice.

If people want to touch little boys, it should be accepted as their life choice

calling them disgusting is pretty much prejudice and bullying.

Names would be harsh, but some other form of message would be good

they are people, in some ways more than you are (zing)

Because they eat more than their share of food while others are starving and sit on the couch watching TV all day?

and people have the right to live by their own standards.

High or low, I can't even tell

if you dont like fat people, dont have sex with them. all we can do is continue shoving the list of health risks down their throats. the more knowledgable they are, the more inclined they are to make healthy life choices

Hm. Apparent;y that's not enough. People today (especially the ones that managed to become obese) don't give a shit anymore. We need to do something more

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

While I think people should strive to keep their body healthy, it should be noted that there can be certain medical conditions that come into play. In some cases, they have signs of addiction. In other cases, the feeling of fatigue can make people seek out "quick-fixes" like a chocolate bar, or microwave pizza.

My point is, there can be pre-determined medical conditions that indirectly cause obesity. I don't think these cases represent anywhere near the majority of obese people, although it is worth mentioning that people like this will be treated on line with everyone else if the social stigma is to shame obesity more than today.

BBS Signature
fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:29 PM Reply

It could work but we'd have to figure out a line between when it is acceptable to shame and when it is not. the "fat line" Of sorts.

It works in other cases, it's not all about shaming it's about forcibly shifting public and social expectations and what we want out of people. We are group/heard animals so we will follow the group. If we want healthy non-obese people and make that apparent through shaming and public shafting then it will probably work.

My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

I just go by "mind your own fucking business."

Who cares if they're fat anyways? If they want to be alone for the rest of their life, or extremely unhealthy let 'em. I'm only losing weight and trimming down because I'd like to be more healthy and active in the workplace, I've lost about 40 pounds in a 5 month period (which is probably the most I've ever lost since then) and I'm only about 32 to my goal weight.

Adults are adults and have the ability to retain their own needs in life, if they want to be a huge monstrosity of viscera then who gives a fuck? Though I was never on the obesity list, but being overweight really isn't all that fun either.

Though it'd be nice to go to a WalMart and not have to see this every time I enter...

Make fat people feel ashamed

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Fat people are lazy and are casing themselves huge health problems. It's not ok to be fat. We live in a society where laziness is praised far too much. People thing they're rebelling against the system but this is exactly what the powerful people of the World want. A quite consumer who doesn't ask questions and slaves over crap they've been told they need. Fat people are not empowering anyone.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 01:50 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Fat people are lazy and are casing themselves huge health problems. It's not ok to be fat. We live in a society where laziness is praised far too much. People thing they're rebelling against the system but this is exactly what the powerful people of the World want. A quite consumer who doesn't ask questions and slaves over crap they've been told they need. Fat people are not empowering anyone.

Reading this back to myself makes me release I don't do enough in my life and am pretty much as lazy as a fat person.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 01:41 PM, Bees wrote: forgive me but i stopped here. if you are stupid enough to compare someones weight, which harms no one and only causes minor inconviniences, mostly to the person themselves, to molesting innocent chileren, you know, a crime, then you have no change in an arguement against me and no business dicating life choices if you view those different from yours life shattering crimes. please step your life up

I'm talking about obesity, cheesecake. Be it harming others or harming yourself, they're both in the category of "bad" and obesity does involve other people feeding them and washing them cos they're too pathetic to do it themselves. If they want to miserable fucks eating their own world, fine, but don't you want to help them? Simple advertisements don't do shit. I pay 0 attention to ads and I doubt they of all people do.

At 1/24/13 01:13 PM, Travis wrote:
Because they eat more than their share of food while others are starving and sit on the couch watching TV all day?
Way to take the joke...

That wasn't a joke. Stop half-assing yourself for the sake of argument.

Hm. Apparent;y that's not enough. People today (especially the ones that managed to become obese) don't give a shit anymore. We need to do something more
Yes, let's not people have any freedom.

I didn't say take way away their freedom.

Damn you are stupid.

Have you seen your posts?

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 02:03 PM, Scary wrote:
At 1/24/13 01:58 PM, jjjkuk wrote: they're both in the category of "bad"
lmao

like something a child would say

You make a great argument.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 01:58 PM, jjjkuk wrote: [obesity and paedophilia are] both in the category of "bad"

I can't believe anybody could bring this argument to this thread. It's beyond words.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 02:04 PM, Travis wrote: You realize I'm a part time troll right?

Exactly, which is why nothing you say matters and you're a low-life chump. Good day.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 02:05 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/24/13 01:58 PM, jjjkuk wrote: [obesity and paedophilia are] both in the category of "bad"
I can't believe anybody could bring this argument to this thread. It's beyond words.

It was an example. A joke to Bees' lame statement. I'm not comparing them of equal badness. You should know better from this place.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 02:04 PM, Travis wrote: You realize I'm a part time troll right?

And full time twelve year old boy apparently.

zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:10 PM Reply

It's really none of your business if someone else is overweight/obese.
Let people eat and do what they want. Fucking assholes always trying to run other people's lives.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 01:07 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
If people want to touch little boys, it should be accepted as their life choice

I want you to explain this to me.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

That'll never work. They'll just make blogs about fat-pride.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 02:10 PM, zag wrote: It's really none of your business if someone else is overweight/obese.
Let people eat and do what they want. Fucking assholes always trying to run other people's lives.

By discussing fat people? There are no upsides to being fat so it is not a choice. Don't tell me given the opportunity a fat person wouldn't want to become skinny over night. Yet they won't put in the effort require to do so realistically. It is laziness and fat people can't accept that so they make up excuses and shift the blame.

Boo-fucking-hoo. Someone is having a serious discussion about the obesity academic and you have issues with your weight. Stop shifting the blame. You are not a fat person, you are a person with fat. No one is forcing you to do anything but handle opinion.

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Make fat people feel ashamed Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 02:20 PM Reply

"You don't live up to the social standards that i have. It's abnormal, and that's wrong. "

After we get all the fat people feeling bad, we should really do something about those gays. Make em feel bad for not having straight sex with opposite genders. Then afterwards we can have a word or two with those strangely colored people. I mean, why aren't they white? See, i have trouble accepting the reality of the world so i must do my best to repress this reality by telling others how their lifestyle choices are different than what i expect them to be.

Some of you people fucking appall and disgust me.

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy