Be a Supporter!
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Define "hardcore". Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:04 PM Reply

I am legitimately curious as to what everyone defines as a "hard core" game/player.

Mine: A "hard core" game for me is one that the developers made to full fill a personal child hood dream. Exploring caves, flying, beating monsters, etc... A game that lets people live out their own child hoods, without the imagination, the large backyards, and the toy weapons.

A "hard core" gamer for me is one that plays games to full fill those dreams. Not someone who plays a game to kill or to conquer, but to save and to protect.

An average person picking up an RPG doesn't have monsters to kill, they have time to kill.

kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:48 PM Reply

"Hardcore" In the term of a person who plays is someone who has a love for games and knows how to get through them with a certain amount of understanding. This is off the top of my head, I would like to revise and change it till I get a great definition. To add on, a person who has completed games would be the first part in become hardcore, for it show they have determination to get it done. Second they enjoy gaming. Third they can focus their skills/knowledge of game play to others games; ex play tomb raider, then when getting on uncharted they notice some similarity. Four they look up references, do a little research, and overall has ideas on video games. Fifth They grow and mature(as a gamer) to a point where they aren't easily surprised, simple game mechanics and stories are basic thought, and they have a hunger (whether small or big, nice or mean) for something new.

Rough, Rough, Rough outline. Please newgrounds add on. I know something like this should not be set in stone. Though it would be nice for newbie to find this is and be alright here are some guidelines. Btw if it every makes it big. the most important thing to remember. Is if your not having fun or not determined to show whoever or whatever is stopping your gaming advances, then it's time to switch to another game.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

A hardcore VG player is someone who is dedicated to playing video games, and knows the ins and outs on how games work and usually competes online with others, often under the "Underground" gamer zone, {for 360 players} and whatever the PSN equivalent is. A lot of games today tend to focus more on the hardcore gamer crowd, but still make it accessible to the more casual players to pick up.

As for hardcore games, that's really more of a subjective answer, considering that everyone is probably going to have a different opinion on what games are considered hardcore. If I had to guess, I've got to imagine that shooters, action adventure, fighting games and RPGs would be the most common answer.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

Yee... yeeee...

Define "hardcore".

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 01:06 AM Reply

A hardcore gamer is like a hardcore driver or hardcore movie buff

They're all in love with what they do.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Reader
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 05:28 AM Reply

At 1/23/13 11:19 PM, orangebomb wrote: A lot of games today tend to focus more on the hardcore gamer crowd, but still make it accessible to the more casual players to pick up.

That's a good joke. Most games these days are really easy, even on the highest difficulty.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 05:45 AM Reply

A hardcore gamer to me is someone who pretty much lives and breathes video games. Someone who dedicates their time to playing and learning about any and all video games.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
MusicalWonders
MusicalWonders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:46 AM Reply

Fake.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Anyone who plays very regularly (multiple hours a day) for the sake of a concept known as "Gaming Honor"

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
SandmanNLD
SandmanNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 02:51 AM Reply

At 1/24/13 05:45 AM, The-Great-One wrote: A hardcore gamer to me is someone who pretty much lives and breathes video games. Someone who dedicates their time to playing and learning about any and all video games.

Exactly!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 04:02 AM Reply

A hardcore gamer to me is someone who spends way too much time playing games, slouched inside in a dark littered down apartment, completely screened off from the outside world for a large abundance of time frenetically glaring at a blazing screen with glazed eyes and flubber. Just my interpretation of the word though...

As for hardcore games: adult games.

malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Define "hardcore". Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 06:28 AM, ClockworkSpace wrote: "Hardcore" is someone who pretends to actually enjoy Dark Souls

I love Dark Souls.

It has a fantastic lore.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:
360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:33 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 06:28 AM, ClockworkSpace wrote: "Hardcore" is someone who pretends to actually enjoy Dark Souls

Thus it's not hardcore to actually enjoy the game?

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:34 PM Reply

I actually think it's hard to accurately describe the notion of a hardcore gamer.

My idea of a hardcore gamer is simply someone who treats the hobby as more than a casual pastime. If you sit down and play COD or Fifa for a couple of hours after work/school with your friends, I don't think you fall into the hardcore gamer category.

To me, hardcore gamers are people who take games beyond the gameplay. That might mean that they contribute in discussion forums, read up additional information about the games online or pay more attention to what's going on in the game industry. They wont limit themselves to new releases either. As far as I'm concerned, games are an art form just as much as books or films are, and like book or film enthusiasts, a hardcore gamer shouldn't limit themselves to new releases because the best examples of the art form are quite often the classics.

I guess to put it into fewer words, a hardcore gamer is someone who's passionate about the games they play as oppose to someone who's just playing to kill a few hours.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
MiniDroidKreator
MiniDroidKreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 01:34 PM, Dean wrote:
I guess to put it into fewer words, a hardcore gamer is someone who's passionate about the games they play as oppose to someone who's just playing to kill a few hours.

Well said, Dean, and I agree that hardcore gamers commit themselves to games.

Thanks, Chdonga, for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 07:25 PM Reply

If you put the game before your life, and as a result make your life about winning in the game.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
GamesArmor
GamesArmor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:17 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 05:28 AM, LiquidFire wrote:
At 1/23/13 11:19 PM, orangebomb wrote: A lot of games today tend to focus more on the hardcore gamer crowd, but still make it accessible to the more casual players to pick up.
That's a good joke. Most games these days are really easy, even on the highest difficulty.

This. I'm pretty sure you could set Skyrim on its highest difficulty and beat everything to death with your fists if you tried hard enough. It'd get easier after those first few level ups.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 07:25 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: If you put the game before your life, and as a result make your life about winning in the game.

Life is a game. :)

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 02:47 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote:
At 2/1/13 07:25 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: If you put the game before your life, and as a result make your life about winning in the game.
I did that for Final Fantasy 8. I stayed up 24 hours one night playing that game. I then went out to go buy lunch, came home and slept.

I don't think I could pull that off these days with video games like i would need to be totally engrossed and need to learn how to bring a natural balance of difficulty of my own to play by at least to the point I began Losing.

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:16 PM Reply

In the gaming universe, I would say People who actually take the time out of their lives to get get EVERY medal/achievement (that don't mean shit after you get them) can be considered HARDCORE players because I don't have the time, nor patience to do this for half the games I own

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Define "hardcore". Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Not owning a Wii.

The Ledge

BBS Signature