New Topic Respond to this Topic
moviemaker107
moviemaker107
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Learn Game programming? 2013-01-23 21:32:34 Reply

Hello I have some knowledge of java and c++. But as I try to learn java from books and youtube I can't like put it all together and make it work. My goal is to learn to understand java and then make games. But I would love a source that is very helpful with this. Thanks a ton!

animation

VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Learn Game programming? 2013-01-24 14:01:33 Reply

At 1/23/13 09:32 PM, moviemaker107 wrote: Hello I have some knowledge of java and c++. But as I try to learn java from books and youtube I can't like put it all together and make it work. My goal is to learn to understand java and then make games. But I would love a source that is very helpful with this. Thanks a ton!

Hello moviemaker,

I am currently a web developer, however, i started as a VB6 games developer - which got me on the programming band wagon!

Java is quite a large language and to be honest, i wouldn't consider it a great platform for games development. If you are starting from scratch with little programming experience go down the microsoft route and start learning C#.net or VB.net and then once you are comfortable with one of those languages start learning XNA. XNA is a framework provided by microsoft specifically for game developers. It also lets you develop games for the PC and for the Xbox ;) Also, as an added benefit if you get good at C# you may even land yourself a good programming job in the future ;)