Be a Supporter!
floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

k so i just recently uploaded some stuff but then was informed that it was "duplo Music" and i had to take it down. to me it sounded very similar to a lot of other music out on NG and i thought what i made was pretty neat! yes i used loops from garage band, but i dont see how else anyone else would do it... i mean it sounds like a lot of stuff on NG is just garage baand loops mixed together (evidently, thats not true though...) im just tying to educate my self. I am a musician but i have a shity laptop that sounds awful when recording, so thats kind of out of the question. however i do have a lot of orchestral ideas and one of those ideas i id o garage band working with what i got. i would like to know, how do u NG audio regulars do it on garage band (not cubase or anything else). please i would really appreciate the help! thank you!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:18 PM, TheFlyingHoax wrote: k so i just recently uploaded some stuff but then was informed that it was "duplo Music" and i had to take it down. to me it sounded very similar to a lot of other music out on NG and i thought what i made was pretty neat! yes i used loops from garage band, but i dont see how else anyone else would do it... i mean it sounds like a lot of stuff on NG is just garage baand loops mixed together (evidently, thats not true though...) im just tying to educate my self. I am a musician but i have a shity laptop that sounds awful when recording, so thats kind of out of the question. however i do have a lot of orchestral ideas and one of those ideas i id o garage band working with what i got. i would like to know, how do u NG audio regulars do it on garage band (not cubase or anything else). please i would really appreciate the help! thank you!

A lot of us either play the music ourselves, or mouse-click every single note. That having been said, we have experience with melodies, rhythms, chords and mixing. And that's what brings about our pieces. In my case, it's days to weeks of work coupled with a lot of vocal layering. Yeah.

Granted, these things take time and are not instantaneous. You only have to ask, and we'll be willing to help you out. Mashing a few loops together will give you a very quick piece, but it's not a piece that will last because it doesn't scream individuality. It doesn't scream *you*.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:38 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 1/23/13 05:18 PM, TheFlyingHoax wrote: k so i just recently uploaded some stuff but then was informed that it was "duplo Music" and i had to take it down. to me it sounded very similar to a lot of other music out on NG and i thought what i made was pretty neat! yes i used loops from garage band, but i dont see how else anyone else would do it... i mean it sounds like a lot of stuff on NG is just garage baand loops mixed together (evidently, thats not true though...) im just tying to educate my self. I am a musician but i have a shity laptop that sounds awful when recording, so thats kind of out of the question. however i do have a lot of orchestral ideas and one of those ideas i id o garage band working with what i got. i would like to know, how do u NG audio regulars do it on garage band (not cubase or anything else). please i would really appreciate the help! thank you!
A lot of us either play the music ourselves, or mouse-click every single note. That having been said, we have experience with melodies, rhythms, chords and mixing. And that's what brings about our pieces. In my case, it's days to weeks of work coupled with a lot of vocal layering. Yeah.

Granted, these things take time and are not instantaneous. You only have to ask, and we'll be willing to help you out. Mashing a few loops together will give you a very quick piece, but it's not a piece that will last because it doesn't scream individuality. It doesn't scream *you*.

thank you very much. that last part was touching lol. i love that piece by the way.i have some stuff actually composed but i dont have a microphone. u know where i can get one of decent quality? and also, can u tell me how u can hit note for note on garage band? that is something i have been trying to figure out how to do. thank you. much appreciated

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Becoming a musician takes years and can't be done in a few days, weeks, months etc.

The first step I would recommend is learning to play a musical instrument, and learning how music is composed. Making music isn't as simple as learning how to use a particular computer program.

First you must learn music and how to be a musician.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:43 PM, TheFlyingHoax wrote: thank you very much. that last part was touching lol. i love that piece by the way.i have some stuff actually composed but i dont have a microphone. u know where i can get one of decent quality? and also, can u tell me how u can hit note for note on garage band? that is something i have been trying to figure out how to do. thank you. much appreciated

I got my Samson Go (it's a small mic, one that you can attach to your laptop screen) on Amazon. The cheapest these things go is about £30 (which is roughly about $50). Rule of thumb if you can't find a music store: know what you are looking for, and try find it online, where it is easily accessible.

Also, each sequencer (I believe, including GarageBand) should have what is known as a piano roll. This is where you put notes in. (GarageBand users, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Piano rolls are separated by bars. Okay, by this point I think I'll need someone to put up screenshots if he's using GarageBand because I'm using FL Studio, which also sometimes gets the same bad rep.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:46 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Becoming a musician takes years and can't be done in a few days, weeks, months etc.

The first step I would recommend is learning to play a musical instrument, and learning how music is composed. Making music isn't as simple as learning how to use a particular computer program.

First you must learn music and how to be a musician.

i play the upright bass in an orchestra, however i am only 14(So i can't completely become a pro musician). and i definetly know the struggle of a musician and how hard it is to succeed in that line of work. i do aspire to be a classical musician when i am older, so on here i am just trying to discover new music and get tips from fellow musicians. really my goal on here is to have fun. thank you for the words of wisdom :)

floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:54 PM Reply

Also, each sequencer (I believe, including GarageBand) should have what is known as a piano roll. This is where you put notes in. (GarageBand users, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Piano rolls are separated by bars. Okay, by this point I think I'll need someone to put up screenshots if he's using GarageBand because I'm using FL Studio, which also sometimes gets the same bad rep.

thanks!

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:58 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:51 PM, TheFlyingHoax wrote:
i play the upright bass in an orchestra,

You're off to a good start. It's much better to know how to play a real instrument AND a DAW's piano/MIDI roll.

However, most people here will disagree that using pre-made loops exclusively is considered making your own music. First of all, as Troix pointed out, It's not "you". And also, you didn't create those loops. So it doesn't qualify as your music. However, the individual effects and sounds are useable, since they are individual components, and therefore considered instruments, and not loops. I hope you see the difference now.

floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:04 PM Reply


However, most people here will disagree that using pre-made loops exclusively is considered making your own music. First of all, as Troix pointed out, It's not "you". And also, you didn't create those loops. So it doesn't qualify as your music. However, the individual effects and sounds are useable, since they are individual components, and therefore considered instruments, and not loops. I hope you see the difference now.

thank you yes i do. im going to work on an thing that i started to write and when i am done i will pm u the product! i totally see the difference now.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:04 PM, TheFlyingHoax wrote:

However, most people here will disagree that using pre-made loops exclusively is considered making your own music. First of all, as Troix pointed out, It's not "you". And also, you didn't create those loops. So it doesn't qualify as your music. However, the individual effects and sounds are useable, since they are individual components, and therefore considered instruments, and not loops. I hope you see the difference now.
thank you yes i do. im going to work on an thing that i started to write and when i am done i will pm u the product! i totally see the difference now.

That's good. Don't be afraid to make mistakes in your first compositions; everyone does them. Heck, I played the piano for 16 years by the time I had begun using a sequencer (I started with Logic Pro, which has similar features to GarageBand, except more advanced). And everyone was complaining about mixing, instrument panning, mic quality... things which I felt I couldn't resolve immediately. It's only between last year and this year that there's been a significant improvement in the things I've done.

Twiddling with electronic means of making music can sometimes be difficult to understand, but these are things we will learn with time.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:47 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Also, each sequencer (I believe, including GarageBand) should have what is known as a piano roll. This is where you put notes in. (GarageBand users, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Piano rolls are separated by bars. Okay, by this point I think I'll need someone to put up screenshots if he's using GarageBand because I'm using FL Studio, which also sometimes gets the same bad rep.

I thought GB got all the bad rep lol. But yeah, you're right GB has a piano roll. There's a little scissors button at the bottom left that opens it up. You can input notes by going to the top menus, Window > Musical Typing, and you can use your computer keyboard to input notes when you hit record, then you can move them around and stuff on the piano roll.

As far as making music goes, just get started somewhere. I think GB is a great DAW, I still use it now. Well...I don't have too much experience with other DAWs, but whatever.

Like BrokenDeck said,

It's much better to know how to play a real instrument AND a DAW's piano/MIDI roll.

So I would suggest getting a little MIDI keyboard to play with to help widen your creativity.

please help me!


BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:09 PM, ZipZipper wrote: I thought GB got all the bad rep lol.

Judging from the crappy loops and beats from FL Studio that people post on YouTube, it's no wonder that people have often dismissed it.... until along came Matthew Pablo and HalcyonicFalconX and Sorohanro and all the people in their league using FL Studio for so many other different things.

So I would suggest getting a little MIDI keyboard to play with to help widen your creativity.

@TheFlyingHoax: And if you can't afford one, mouse click every note! (I don't even have a MIDI keyboard yet, I'm too skint for that...)


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
floppypawss
floppypawss
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:15 PM Reply


As far as making music goes, just get started somewhere. I think GB is a great DAW, I still use it now. Well...I don't have too much experience with other DAWs, but whatever.

thank you. by the way i love your latest piece!

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:12 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 1/23/13 06:09 PM, ZipZipper wrote: I thought GB got all the bad rep lol.
Judging from the crappy loops and beats from FL Studio that people post on YouTube, it's no wonder that people have often dismissed it.... until along came Matthew Pablo and HalcyonicFalconX and Sorohanro and all the people in their league using FL Studio for so many other different things.

So there ya' go! You've got some good rep from the league of extraordinary gentlemen! I don't know many people of that league who will back up GB in any way. Though I will admit, sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock and other times I feel like I'm doing the best with what I can (want to) afford.

(me lazy butt)

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:27 PM, ZipZipper wrote:

I don't know many people of that league who will back up GB in any way. Though I will admit, sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock and other times I feel like I'm doing the best with what I can (want to) afford.

I can perhaps give a good example of someone who uses GarageBand to mix vocals pretty well. See Usagiflower's work.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:30 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I can perhaps give a good example of someone who uses GarageBand to mix vocals pretty well. See Usagiflower's work.

Oh...I thought we were talking about people on here lol. Yeah that is really good for GB.


BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:55 PM Reply

As much as I acknowledge that Garageband is a fully-featured DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), I would suggest trying out demos and trials of other DAWs to see if you find one which you prefer more. I say this because Garageband comes free with every Mac, and software that comes free with something is usually not as good as the same kind of software that you have to pay for.

You can still make great original music with Garageband I'm sure, but take a shot at some other DAWs like Cubase, Reason, Logic, etc.... Logic in particular might be a good idea since I'm pretty sure that it's quite similar to Garageband, so you won't have too much trouble making the switch.

If you like another DAW enough, then save up and buy it! It's a big investment but if you want to get serious about music then you'll most likely have to be prepared to dish out a fair bit of money in it. But hey, I know FatKidWitAJetPak uses Garageband and makes good music with it, and I'm sure there are countless others, so Garageband is a perfectly viable option if you're comfortable with that.

Also about FL having a bad reputation... it's unfortunate because it's a badass piece of software and doesn't deserve its reputation. I've heard that FL may be getting Mac support in the next version; if so, that would be a great piece of software for you to consider, especially since it's reasonably priced and comes with lifetime free updates, so you won't ever need to pay for future versions.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:26 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:55 PM, Step wrote: As much as I acknowledge that Garageband is a fully-featured DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), I would suggest trying out demos and trials of other DAWs to see if you find one which you prefer more. I say this because Garageband comes free with every Mac, and software that comes free with something is usually not as good as the same kind of software that you have to pay for.

You can still make great original music with Garageband I'm sure, but take a shot at some other DAWs like Cubase, Reason, Logic, etc.... Logic in particular might be a good idea since I'm pretty sure that it's quite similar to Garageband, so you won't have too much trouble making the switch.

If you like another DAW enough, then save up and buy it! It's a big investment but if you want to get serious about music then you'll most likely have to be prepared to dish out a fair bit of money in it. But hey, I know FatKidWitAJetPak uses Garageband and makes good music with it, and I'm sure there are countless others, so Garageband is a perfectly viable option if you're comfortable with that.

Also about FL having a bad reputation... it's unfortunate because it's a badass piece of software and doesn't deserve its reputation. I've heard that FL may be getting Mac support in the next version; if so, that would be a great piece of software for you to consider, especially since it's reasonably priced and comes with lifetime free updates, so you won't ever need to pay for future versions.

FL is pretty useless on its own, you need to beef it up with plug ins and vsts galore to pump a decent sound out of it. It's what ive been using for a while now and i still find that in order to achieve something i need yet another plug in. Dont get me wrong, fl is good, sadly i wouldn't say its particularly good at anything specifically , its more like a jack of all trades master of none if you will.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:26 PM, Zafrece wrote:
At 1/23/13 06:55 PM, Step wrote:
FL is pretty useless on its own, you need to beef it up with plug ins and vsts galore to pump a decent sound out of it. It's what ive been using for a while now and i still find that in order to achieve something i need yet another plug in. Dont get me wrong, fl is good, sadly i wouldn't say its particularly good at anything specifically , its more like a jack of all trades master of none if you will.

Excuse me?
Says the person who uses FL with next to no custom VSTs except those that are available by default, and says the person who LINKED that song and wound up third place in last year's NGADM.

Any sequencer which can be used to good effect can be used to good effect, provided the composer is good.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Excuse me?
Says the person who uses FL with next to no custom VSTs except those that are available by default, and says the person who LINKED that song and wound up third place in last year's NGADM.

Any sequencer which can be used to good effect can be used to good effect, provided the composer is good.

lol calm down m8 i didn't mean to hit a sore spot. I'm just saying aside from some things fl comes with ( harmor, harmless, toxic etc few mixing tools such as param eq and mastering on maximus) it really lacks the tool bag in specific regions that other programs specialize in. Like i said its the jack of all trades master of none.

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 06:55 PM, Step wrote: Also about FL having a bad reputation... it's unfortunate because it's a badass piece of software and doesn't deserve its reputation.

...that's what I think of GarageBand. Awkward. I think it does a better job than you might think! Though, like Trois said, at the end of the day it's about how good the musician is, not their programs.

hee haw

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:42 PM Reply

...that's what I think of GarageBand. Awkward. I think it does a better job than you might think! Though, like Trois said, at the end of the day it's about how good the musician is, not their programs.

hee haw

well to an extent of course, garage band is to limitations on electronic music as a hello kitty plastic guitar is to a speed metal player. It gets the job done but still, there are much better ways you can go about it.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:42 PM, Zafrece wrote:
...that's what I think of GarageBand. Awkward. I think it does a better job than you might think! Though, like Trois said, at the end of the day it's about how good the musician is, not their programs.

hee haw
well to an extent of course, garage band is to limitations on electronic music as a hello kitty plastic guitar is to a speed metal player. It gets the job done but still, there are much better ways you can go about it.

Well, I'm an orchestral composer, predominantly. Can I say that because FL was geared for the hip-hop/EDM movement that it's insufficient to carry out its function as an orchestral/VGM tool?

Far from it.
Very far from it.
Indeed, very far from it.

People used to tell me FL was crap because of the quality of music I was churning out.... until they started listening to my later works. But I'm sure the same can apply for anyone who even bothers to learn the software and stretch its limits.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:42 PM, Zafrece wrote: well to an extent of course, garage band is to limitations on electronic music as a hello kitty plastic guitar is to a speed metal player. It gets the job done but still, there are much better ways you can go about it.

That's true. I personally don't dabble in electronic music that much. So for what genres I do, GB is great for me. Funny you mention that because I think a lot of the time musicians here are always looking to play with electronic styles of music, so my input on software is useless. Therefore, GB is useless to most everyone. It's an okay platform for classical...to an extent. Probably a very quick extent...welp...

I AM USELESS.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:48 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 1/23/13 07:42 PM, Zafrece wrote: Stuff
More stuff

Now if I remember correctly, FatKidWithAJetPak uses GarageBand. Why has nobody asked him how the software runs?


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Well, I'm an orchestral composer, predominantly. Can I say that because FL was geared for the hip-hop/EDM movement that it's insufficient to carry out its function as an orchestral/VGM tool?

Far from it.
Very far from it.
Indeed, very far from it.

People used to tell me FL was crap because of the quality of music I was churning out.... until they started listening to my later works. But I'm sure the same can apply for anyone who even bothers to learn the software and stretch its limits.

I'll continue the analogy, fl is fine for orchestral. However east west quantum leap software is made for orchestral. There is a point in which fl can't ever achieve the same sound as those programs/vst/sound libraries could. With that i'm simply saying there are limitations on every program.

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:53 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Now if I remember correctly, FatKidWithAJetPak uses GarageBand. Why has nobody asked him how the software runs?

He has no time for our silly banter!??!!?

...I know how GB runs :(

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to please help me! Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 08:05 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 1/23/13 07:53 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Now if I remember correctly, FatKidWithAJetPak uses GarageBand. Why has nobody asked him how the software runs?
He has no time for our silly banter!??!!?

...I know how GB runs :(

My point being, he's pretty seasoned. I mean, the host of the NG CD Project 2011/12 should know what he's doing with that thing that he can stretch limitations where needed.


AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature