New Topic Respond to this Topic
PhaseAssassin
PhaseAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
PhaseAssassin's Art 2013-01-23 01:19:12 Reply

Hello, everyone! I've been trying to get back into illustrating for the past time and needed to find a way to focus myself. Fortunately, since I play anything from video games to tabletop wargames, it's spurred me to get off my lazy bum so I can create my own stuff. Mainly I want to create my own tabletop wargame and that's going to be my focus for now. I'm really passionate about tabletop wargames and making my own game just seems like the right step towards a future career in that.

That being said, while my art will mostly consist of my wargame's concept art, I am going to be throwing around ideas for other games I've got in mind. This includes anything from concepts for a mobile game that I'm not ready to talk about yet (it might not happen and might sound derivative since the idea is not fully developed), and other future tabletop/rpg concepts I want to try out.

Onto the drawings I'm uploading. Usually I work with pencil, but in order to challenge myself I'm using pen freehand. No take backs on any line. I have to use whatever mistake I make to my advantage. This first drawing was just to get a feel for some concepts I had floating around. It's definitely nowhere near final as you'll see in the second drawing, I've changed my mind.

The 2 drawings are the initial concepts for the soldiers of the Hyperion Republic. You might make out the bits that mention the Empire. The Lotarean Empire is the "much less good, more bad" human faction in the setting. That doesn't make the Republic the good guys as corruption exists in it, but they are the ones one would rather work for.

I'll upload the second drawing in a moment. Thanks for viewing my art!

PhaseAssassin's Art

PhaseAssassin
PhaseAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PhaseAssassin's Art 2013-01-23 01:25:21 Reply

Alright, here it is. I'm both satisfied and afraid the helmet might have taken a certain superhero aspect to it. It looks similar to the Guardian from the Young Justice show. But I do want to give the Republic soldiers (from here on out called Corps Marines) an enforcer look. Conflict with the Lotarean Empire and frontier worlds being rebellious has made the Republic a bit harsher. The idea should be reflected in its troops. What do you guys think?

PhaseAssassin's Art

RogueSoul
RogueSoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to PhaseAssassin's Art 2013-01-26 08:30:16 Reply

At 1/23/13 01:25 AM, PhaseAssassin wrote: Alright, here it is. I'm both satisfied and afraid the helmet might have taken a certain superhero aspect to it.

I'm afraid so. When making henchmen or footsoldiers or whatever, it helps to give them a full visor or helmet that covers faces. Remember that they are not supposed to have a personality. They're cannonfodder, and if they all look like there could be a story to their lives, it's distracting. So no expressive eyes or mouth. Often it helps to just get rid of face. So my advice is to at least get rid of the crest thing on helmet and go for something more rectangular for eyes... Also, you might want to practice drawing your characters in some pose.

nope, no sig.