New Topic Respond to this Topic
benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-22 23:29:30 Reply

Okay I am really a noob when it comes to hardware stuff. I am well aware on how to use The "Handyrecorder H4n" as a usb mic, but I don't wan't to do that anymore. I want to connect it to my audio interface. I want to record from it onto my computer and into logic using the setup below. I've been at this for hours and can't figure out how to do! I tried googling, and came up with nothing ;( Please help, I am dying.

H4n Recorder Help...

dylanasinbob
dylanasinbob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-22 23:52:33 Reply

At 1/22/13 11:29 PM, benjadaninja wrote: Okay I am really a noob when it comes to hardware stuff. I am well aware on how to use The "Handyrecorder H4n" as a usb mic, but I don't wan't to do that anymore. I want to connect it to my audio interface. I want to record from it onto my computer and into logic using the setup below. I've been at this for hours and can't figure out how to do! I tried googling, and came up with nothing ;( Please help, I am dying.

connect the h4n's 1/8th inch output to one or more of your line level inputs on your interface. youll need to split the signal from a stereo feed to two individual mono feeds if you want to have individual control of each signal. otherwise, youll have a mono mix of a stereo signal going into one of your interface's line level inputs. which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but if it were me, id want individual control of every mic signal.

i hope this helps!

check out some of my work if youre interested!

• hp_3.4
    hp_3.4 by dylanasinbob

the latest

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    New Wave
    Popularity

dylanasinbob
dylanasinbob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-22 23:54:12 Reply

At 1/22/13 11:52 PM, dylanasinbob wrote:
At 1/22/13 11:29 PM, benjadaninja wrote: Okay I am really a noob when it comes to hardware stuff. I am well aware on how to use The "Handyrecorder H4n" as a usb mic, but I don't wan't to do that anymore. I want to connect it to my audio interface. I want to record from it onto my computer and into logic using the setup below. I've been at this for hours and can't figure out how to do! I tried googling, and came up with nothing ;( Please help, I am dying.
connect the h4n's 1/8th inch output to one or more of your line level inputs on your interface. youll need to split the signal from a stereo feed to two individual mono feeds if you want to have individual control of each signal. otherwise, youll have a mono mix of a stereo signal going into one of your interface's line level inputs. which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but if it were me, id want individual control of every mic signal.

i hope this helps!

check out some of my work if youre interested!
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/518987

to send a signal from youre h4n to the interface make sure you record enable the h4n (press the record button once) that way your 1/8th inch output will be sending a signal to your interface. make sure to be aware of gain staging so your material isnt too loud or too soft at any stage in the game

benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-23 03:10:46 Reply

At 1/22/13 11:54 PM, dylanasinbob wrote: to send a signal from youre h4n to the interface make sure you record enable the h4n (press the record button once) that way your 1/8th inch output will be sending a signal to your interface. make sure to be aware of gain staging so your material isnt too loud or too soft at any stage in the game

Thanks for the help, but I have no idea how to do that on the h4n's menus. It seems like i've tried every combination of options lol. What settings do I need to go to?

dylanasinbob
dylanasinbob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-23 04:05:29 Reply

At 1/23/13 03:10 AM, benjadaninja wrote:
At 1/22/13 11:54 PM, dylanasinbob wrote: to send a signal from youre h4n to the interface make sure you record enable the h4n (press the record button once) that way your 1/8th inch output will be sending a signal to your interface. make sure to be aware of gain staging so your material isnt too loud or too soft at any stage in the game
Thanks for the help, but I have no idea how to do that on the h4n's menus. It seems like i've tried every combination of options lol. What settings do I need to go to?

set your h4n up as if you were going to record your voice - 2 channel stereo recording mode. (not the 4 channel recording mode). This means that you will be using the 2 built in mics. then get an 1/8th inch male to 1/4inch female adapter and one 1/4inch patch cable. plug the 1/8th inch male to 1/4inch female adapter into the patch cable (this will give you a long cable with a headphone mini jack on one end and a guitar cable like jack on the other end). then plug the 1/4inch patch cable into your interface, and then plug the mini jack into your zoom output. enable the "MIC" button on the front of the zoom (not 1 and 2). set gain to 80. hit record. set gain on interface.

benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-23 17:13:45 Reply

At 1/23/13 04:05 AM, dylanasinbob wrote: set your h4n up as if you were going to record your voice - 2 channel stereo recording mode. (not the 4 channel recording mode). This means that you will be using the 2 built in mics. then get an 1/8th inch male to 1/4inch female adapter and one 1/4inch patch cable. plug the...

So what your saying is that the cables I am using now will not work? I put it into stereo mode NOT 4CH or MTR in the mode menu. I then exit the menus and press the mic button so only it is glowing... (not 1 or 2) like you said. From this point I can't press anything without it saying "card full." Which shouldn't matter should it?

dylanasinbob
dylanasinbob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to H4n Recorder Help... 2013-01-23 23:24:35 Reply

At 1/23/13 05:13 PM, benjadaninja wrote:
At 1/23/13 04:05 AM, dylanasinbob wrote: set your h4n up as if you were going to record your voice - 2 channel stereo recording mode. (not the 4 channel recording mode). This means that you will be using the 2 built in mics. then get an 1/8th inch male to 1/4inch female adapter and one 1/4inch patch cable. plug the...
So what your saying is that the cables I am using now will not work? I put it into stereo mode NOT 4CH or MTR in the mode menu. I then exit the menus and press the mic button so only it is glowing... (not 1 or 2) like you said. From this point I can't press anything without it saying "card full." Which shouldn't matter should it?

yeah the card being full doesnt matter because we arent saving data to the card. we just want to audition material through the onboard mics. by pressing the record button once, it will start to flash meaning the device is passing a signal through the mini jack output. youll then want to connect the h4n mini jack output to your interface line level inputs