al0n3lyh3art
al0n3lyh3art
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
What makes video games fun? 2013-01-22 21:13:27 Reply

Seriously.

That question has been asked to me a couple months back, and I can't necessarily give a strong answer. Yeah, I know that they take us to a whole new world in which people can play in. I know it gives people a challenge and makes them think of any possible solution to make it right or wrong. I know people enjoy it through the constant rise of online multiplayer, whether it be helping "friends" make it through the levels or senselessly killing each other just to get the better score. I know some people don't really care and rather just enjoy what the game has to offer, whether the beauty of the art to the feeling of the game. I get that. But eventually, the satisfaction of the game starts to run low, and then we look at other games to satisfy our needs.

I know this question may not be taking seriously when you guys answer this, but try to answer this to the best you can.

Or don't, I guess.

-WM

Actor. Musician. Painter.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-01-22 23:48:34 Reply

What it really comes down to is the same thing that makes anything else fun, the fact that people receive enjoyment from it.

BBS Signature
TapSkill
TapSkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-01-23 01:33:36 Reply

"Fun" is just another term for something you enjoy doing. You can have fun with a rock, a bottle of water, whatever. It really depends on what your interests are. I like video games for the interactivity and as a way to experiment with actions I could never take in real life. I also like to make video games because I like the potential elements of a game, including storytelling and music. I like storytelling because it is fun for me to make up events and characters and develop my own timelines and story arcs.

PimpNFresh
PimpNFresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-01-23 13:47:14 Reply

For me its usually the story. If I do not find the story interesting and well thought out, I will not typically enjoy the game.

"I don't got nothin'... but I'll give what I got" -The Nightwatchman

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-02-06 01:09:27 Reply

At 1/23/13 01:47 PM, PimpNFresh wrote: For me its usually the story. If I do not find the story interesting and well thought out, I will not typically enjoy the game.

So, you can't enjoy games like Tetris?

As for me, it comes down to solid design coupled with enjoyable gameplay. If your game is something I like to play, it's "fun" in my book.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod "Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-02-06 08:50:07 Reply

I suppose what makes a game fun and entertaining is different for everybody (you can already derive this from the few replies in this thread).

For me, personally, I've always loved exploring (video game) landscapes, which is a form of escapism for me I guess. Hence why I love the Zelda series, The Elder Scrolls series, the Final Fantasy series and many other RPG games. However, good gameplay, story and music can definitely add to the enjoyment as well.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod] Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to What makes video games fun? 2013-02-06 13:23:08 Reply

Simple.

Because games offer an experience that is either impossible, hard or morally injustifiable in real life.