00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Critique

789 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Art Critique 2013-01-22 16:02:48

So I do 3D modeling and have been for a while. IâEUTMve been posting my work to this site and I have yet to get any kind of comment, critique, etc. on any of my work. I wasnâEUTMt sure if this was because I havenâEUTMt been scouted yet and comments are disabled or something (I read through the scouting guide and it didnâEUTMt say anything on that). At any rate IâEUTMm not asking to be scouted I just simply want some comments on my work because I find that these are generally helpful in growing as an artist. Any and all is appreciated whether it be positive or negative, just make sure they are constructive critiques. http://blazingeclipse.newgrounds.com/art/

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-22 22:17:53

Some alright stuff. I remember seeing some of it quite a while ago. You've improved.
Your most likely beyond me at this point in 3D so keep up the good work. I hope to do some more modeling in the near future. I've gotten the itch to push and pull some polygons again.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-22 22:33:26

My main thing is make sure you can work on the textures. Right now, all of your 3D models look very plastic.

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-22 23:58:55

I rarely critique 3d work because I haven't studied it myself- I don't know how to tell you to use it to make your images more realistic. On a compositional level, you might want to play with dead-centering your subjects a bit less, but generally you're doing great.

However, critiquing (subjectively) on subject matter alone, all your works are essentially still lives. Objects in a simple setting not really interacting with each other, not telling stories, not conveying emotional messages. They convey a high level of technical skill (inasmuch as I understand 3d art), but I for one am bored by them.

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-23 00:24:57

Cool compositing, looks like you got a real handle on your rendering.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-23 01:06:36

At 1/22/13 11:58 PM, lovingthedark wrote: I rarely critique 3d work because I haven't studied it myself- I don't know how to tell you to use it to make your images more realistic. On a compositional level, you might want to play with dead-centering your subjects a bit less, but generally you're doing great.

However, critiquing (subjectively) on subject matter alone, all your works are essentially still lives. Objects in a simple setting not really interacting with each other, not telling stories, not conveying emotional messages. They convey a high level of technical skill (inasmuch as I understand 3d art), but I for one am bored by them.

Uh ok. So if I did, say make my Nissan Skyline for example appear to be driving down a road, would that give it more of an interaction aspect that you are referring to?

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-23 01:16:43

At 1/22/13 10:33 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: My main thing is make sure you can work on the textures. Right now, all of your 3D models look very plastic.

I have gotten that comment once before on another website, but on one picture and not all. Though for some that was the intent, like the Pokeballs. I'm still experimenting with different rendering engines so I'll work harder to prevent that appearance in materials that shouldn't have it.

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-23 03:07:08

At 1/23/13 01:06 AM, BlazingEclipse wrote: Uh ok. So if I did, say make my Nissan Skyline for example appear to be driving down a road, would that give it more of an interaction aspect that you are referring to?

That'd be an improvement, yeah.

Response to Art Critique 2013-01-23 03:11:19

Unless they're character-less straight off the assembly line pokballs, you could scratch and ding them up some :)

At 1/23/13 01:16 AM, BlazingEclipse wrote:
At 1/22/13 10:33 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: My main thing is make sure you can work on the textures. Right now, all of your 3D models look very plastic.
I have gotten that comment once before on another website, but on one picture and not all. Though for some that was the intent, like the Pokeballs. I'm still experimenting with different rendering engines so I'll work harder to prevent that appearance in materials that shouldn't have it.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |