sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:12 AM Reply

So, many years ago I've heard of this Nebula VST but whenever I actually get the free version and try it, my computer could not put up with it.
I see t praised on many audio forums for the wonderful analog emulations, brilliant ....whatever, so, I decided yesterday to try it again.
Got the free version and installed it. My impressions are not really positive.
- crashes whenever I run it in same project with T-Raks or plugins from Nomad Factory
- all amp, preamp, tape and tube emulations don't really do anything to the sound
- compressors don't really act like compressors
- reverbs are a bad joke
- the "liquid" slider doesn't do anything, maybe some bad artifacts in one reverb program
- when I run together with plugins that use same engine I have bursts of high pitched noise and my mixer channels go on red and stay there even after the sound stopped

Now, I see so many people being amazed by it that it makes me wonder, am I getting the bad results only?
What's your experience with it?

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:11 PM Reply

Don't answer so many and so fast... take your time

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:17 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 04:11 PM, sorohanro wrote: Don't answer so many and so fast... take your time

Will try & then reply.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:09 PM Reply

Anything shown on youtube about it isn't too impressive, or innovative.

TBH, you can do the same with izotope ozone; and the waves diamond bundle, and a WHOLE LOT more. Wish I could give it a try but for the reasons you listen they're exactly why I don't bother with "free" versions of VST's, they either muck up something in the registry for other plugins or just don't work properly.

Hopefully someone helps you out further with this, most I can recommend is google what you're looking for if no one here replies.

Good luck!

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Well, thanks for the answers. Fast uninstall will be.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:37 AM Reply

At 1/22/13 05:21 PM, sorohanro wrote: Well, thanks for the answers. Fast uninstall will be.

I could not even manage to download it. The download link provided by the page did not work for me, and the whole site was slow as hell. Great beginning. ;)

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:51 AM Reply

At 1/23/13 04:37 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 1/22/13 05:21 PM, sorohanro wrote: Well, thanks for the answers. Fast uninstall will be.
I could not even manage to download it. The download link provided by the page did not work for me, and the whole site was slow as hell. Great beginning. ;)

Then, don't bother. After posting same question on KVR I got this:
"After using nebula for a while I can honestly say that Nebula overdrive/distortion/saturation is a big let down for me (I don't even want to talk about the compressors). I can't hear it doing anything in this aspect.
I compared some of the 3rd library tapes to Reelbus and I didn't have to listen long to realize which one I preferred. I also have tons of "pre-amp" programs for nebula, and let me just say this. With a real analog preamp you can hear what it does even if you don't have much experience with it. If you adjust the gain knob in Nebula, you don't get any of that tasty overdrive that you could get from an analog gear.
With analog gear you can shape the signal in very radical ways if you choose to do so. Having nebula in the signal path does nothing I can hear. Even my 90â'¬ audio interface mic preamp does a better job giving some vibe to my synths. It's speaks for itself that many people who use Nebula use a technique of lining multiple Nebula instances to get some effect which you can notice.
"

More about this here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5218188#521818 8

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What's Your Opinion On Nebula Vst? Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:38 AM Reply

More about this here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5218188#521818 8

Alright, good to know. Another VST I don't need. ;)