Be a Supporter!

Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab.

  • 2,402 Views
  • 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Hybrid-Of-Souls
Hybrid-Of-Souls
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:26 PM Reply

Mm, something Abobo's good at. Maybe something to do with smashing.
SmashArcade?


Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43
Steam ID
Join the party | V NG Archive V |

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:25 AM Reply

I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:42 PM, Zachary wrote: How much does it cost to produce?

We're still figuring that out. But at least $1000 if you include monitor and computer.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:03 AM Reply

At 1/22/13 12:25 AM, T3XT wrote: I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.

Ha ha, the monitor alone costs that much :-P

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 1/22/13 11:03 AM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 12:25 AM, T3XT wrote: I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.
Ha ha, the monitor alone costs that much :-P

Here's a crazy idea for people like me with 0 sources of income:
USB arcade controller with software or something.


BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 1/22/13 11:20 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 1/22/13 11:03 AM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 12:25 AM, T3XT wrote: I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.
Ha ha, the monitor alone costs that much :-P
Here's a crazy idea for people like me with 0 sources of income:
USB arcade controller with software or something.

It's a good idea. I just really think people need an affordable 4 player arcade option.

I may be completely delusional though. :(

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:31 AM Reply

At 1/22/13 11:23 AM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 11:20 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 1/22/13 11:03 AM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 12:25 AM, T3XT wrote: I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.
Ha ha, the monitor alone costs that much :-P
Here's a crazy idea for people like me with 0 sources of income:
USB arcade controller with software or something.
It's a good idea. I just really think people need an affordable 4 player arcade option.

I may be completely delusional though. :(

People do. You'll know for sure if it's kickstartered. It's more my needs than everyone else's.
The arcade cabinet is a good idea, seeing how all the other cabinets for sale are far inferior.
I just can't afford one personally right now, but other people in this thread seem to want them.


BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:53 AM Reply

Call RadArcade.

The name just screams early 90s

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:58 PM Reply

that "snap together, byocomputer/joystick/monitor/frontend" is an excellent idea considering mame will run on practically any low end machine. Great project, but what about shipping these things around? I feel bad for whoever has to pay for THAT.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 01:58 PM, Urban-Champion wrote: that "snap together, byocomputer/joystick/monitor/frontend" is an excellent idea considering mame will run on practically any low end machine. Great project, but what about shipping these things around? I feel bad for whoever has to pay for THAT.

Yeah, shipping is likely to be a pretty big addition to the cost.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 03:49 PM Reply

What are the odds of you putting custom artwork on these things? (It'd be badass to see me playing games on the side of the cabinet)


Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 03:49 PM, ZJ wrote: What are the odds of you putting custom artwork on these things? (It'd be badass to see me playing games on the side of the cabinet)

That's definitely something we'd like to offer as one of the Kickstarter tiers.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 03:38 PM, Provoke wrote: I guess I don't need my college money....

This is a wiser investment.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 09:50 PM, poxpower wrote: gimme moni

Maybe you could get a Kickstarter going?


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 11:03 AM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 12:25 AM, T3XT wrote: I love the concept pictures you posted, it looks awesome and gives me a huge nostalgia-boner.

But anyway, I'm not sure a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it though, since not many outside Newgrounds know about Abobo. As for me, I'd buy one for maybe 200 USD.
Ha ha, the monitor alone costs that much :-P

Shit, a thousand bucks just to make one?! Plus extra to profit?

I'm sorry but I'm out. It's a great idea and all but I think most of us would rather spend our $1,200+ a car, lol.

I love the idea and all but I don't think you'd make enough money to break even off of one these.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 08:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/21/13 09:50 PM, poxpower wrote: gimme moni
Maybe you could get a Kickstarter going?

What a GREAT idea!

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 11:34 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/22/13 08:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/21/13 09:50 PM, poxpower wrote: gimme moni
Maybe you could get a Kickstarter going?
What a GREAT idea!

inorite. I bet lots of people would contribute.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:04 PM Reply

Call it the "Arcadius".
That's s pretty cool title.


BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 01:35 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 10:04 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Call it the "Arcadius".
That's s pretty cool title.

Probably too generic

I-smel
I-smel
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 07:42 PM Reply

BBBRRRRRRRREAKERCAAAAAAADE!!!!!

I don't know if you should do a Kickstarter, but I guess the point of KS is that you don't lose anything from trying it.
You definately shouldn't try to do it without an investment, it's kind of niche incase you didn't know.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 07:42 PM, I-smel wrote: BBBRRRRRRRREAKERCAAAAAAADE!!!!!

I don't know if you should do a Kickstarter, but I guess the point of KS is that you don't lose anything from trying it.
You definately shouldn't try to do it without an investment, it's kind of niche incase you didn't know.

Yeah, the point of the KS is to see if there would be any demand for such a thing. We're ready to accept the possibility of a "no" answer.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 07:42 PM, I-smel wrote: BBBRRRRRRRREAKERCAAAAAAADE!!!!!

I don't know if you should do a Kickstarter

I was talking about Pox and the rest of the guys behind Abobo doing one.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:56 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 09:23 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/26/13 07:42 PM, I-smel wrote: BBBRRRRRRRREAKERCAAAAAAADE!!!!!

I don't know if you should do a Kickstarter
I was talking about Pox and the rest of the guys behind Abobo doing one.

We are. This.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:47 PM Reply

I've only participated in a handful of Kickstarters, so I'm a bit confused as to how this would work - are people contributing $1000-1500 to your Kickstarter to fund the construction of an arcade machine and, in the end, to purchase that machine? Is there only going to be one tier of supporters - all of which receive an arcade?

Or will there still be $20 and $50 support tiers that are simply funding your arcade-building out of their generous nature?

I would recommend the latter, since most Newgrounders are poor and would likely only part with $20 or $50, not $1000.

Additionally, if there is enough money left over, maybe draw one lucky winner from the $50 or $100 support tier to receive their very own machine? Or at least a sticker or something?


Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 01:47 PM, Timmy wrote: I've only participated in a handful of Kickstarters, so I'm a bit confused as to how this would work - are people contributing $1000-1500 to your Kickstarter to fund the construction of an arcade machine and, in the end, to purchase that machine? Is there only going to be one tier of supporters - all of which receive an arcade?

Or will there still be $20 and $50 support tiers that are simply funding your arcade-building out of their generous nature?

I would recommend the latter, since most Newgrounders are poor and would likely only part with $20 or $50, not $1000.

Additionally, if there is enough money left over, maybe draw one lucky winner from the $50 or $100 support tier to receive their very own machine? Or at least a sticker or something?

We have some ideas for lower tier contributors and yeah, I think a donation of $10 should get you into a drawing to receive your own arcade cabinet! Great idea!

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
lwc1999
lwc1999
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Sep. 4th, 2013 @ 06:02 PM Reply

I've been trying to track down more information on this for a while. Definitely willing to throw in some cash for this!

The Answers:
:1. 2 player cabinet: $1000, 4 Player: $3000
:2. I would prefer a 2 player for space reasons. We would take it with us to convention for our customers to play, so portability is a plus.

What would be a good "brand name" for this kind of versatile cabinet?

Arcadia
ArcadeBoy