Be a Supporter!

Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab.

  • 2,300 Views
  • 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:03 PM Reply

I originally posted in the Art forum to get some feedback on the Abobo Arcade Cabinet Kickstarter we're considering, but no one there is answering so it's time to throw it to General Forum and get some straight up feedback:

We're considering doing a Kickstarter to sell a limited number of "authentic" Abobo's Big Adventure arcade cabinets. These cabinets would also double as MAME arcade emulation cabinets (play ANY old arcade ROM you can find). It would also work for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. emulators.

You've seen the 2 player cabinet (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1185837/1), so now check out the 4 PLAYER OPTION!

A couple questions:
1. How much would you expect to pay as a Kickstarter pledge to get one of these limited edition (and numbered) cabinets?
2. Would you prefer 2 or 4 player? What should the price difference be between 2 and 4 player versions?
This is our own cabinet design and can be a full sized standing arcade, a table top arcade, and also completely breaks down and fits in the trunk of a car for easy traveling around.

What would be a good "brand name" for this kind of versatile cabinet?
A. TravelCade
B. TransformArcade
C. Hackercade
D. TakeArcade
E. ShipperCade
F. BreakArcade
G. BreakerCade
H. [ Insert your own name! ]

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:10 PM, BigBadtheBazz wrote: This seems like an amazing Idea! I'd call it Porticade.

Like Port-a-potty? Ha ha. Pretty good name actually.

What about pricing?

tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:25 PM Reply

4 player old school arcade games... the thing to do on Friday night


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:03 PM, BoMToons wrote: I originally posted in the Art forum to get some feedback on the Abobo Arcade Cabinet Kickstarter we're considering, but no one there is answering so it's time to throw it to General Forum and get some straight up feedback:

We're considering doing a Kickstarter to sell a limited number of "authentic" Abobo's Big Adventure arcade cabinets. These cabinets would also double as MAME arcade emulation cabinets (play ANY old arcade ROM you can find). It would also work for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. emulators.

You've seen the 2 player cabinet (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1185837/1), so now check out the 4 PLAYER OPTION!

A couple questions:
1. How much would you expect to pay as a Kickstarter pledge to get one of these limited edition (and numbered) cabinets?

I'd expect to pay $1000 for retail. $500 for a kickstarter bonus. But I WANT to pay $100.

2. Would you prefer 2 or 4 player? What should the price difference be between 2 and 4 player versions?

Maybe 2 would be something like $600-800 and the 4 would be $100

This is our own cabinet design and can be a full sized standing arcade, a table top arcade, and also completely breaks down and fits in the trunk of a car for easy traveling around.

Me wantee so hard.

What would be a good "brand name" for this kind of versatile cabinet?
A. TravelCade
B. TransformArcade
C. Hackercade
D. TakeArcade
E. ShipperCade
F. BreakArcade
G. BreakerCade
H. [ Insert your own name! ]

Allcade.
Warcade.
Suparcade.
Supercade.
Arcadia.
Gnarcade.
Starcade Cabinets.
The Abobo.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Welcome.


BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:25 PM, tox wrote: 4 player old school arcade games... the thing to do on Friday night

Great 4 player arcade games:

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. The Simpsons Arcade Game
3. X-Men Arcade
4. WWF Royal Rumble

$900 is probably right around the ballpark of what we can actually build these for.

Any other name ideas?

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:35 PM Reply

Maybe 2 would be something like $600-800 and the 4 would be $1000

Would you be interested in just getting a snap together frame without comp/monitor for those prices? The monitor and computer drive the price up quite a bit.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:32 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:25 PM, tox wrote: 4 player old school arcade games... the thing to do on Friday night
Great 4 player arcade games:

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. The Simpsons Arcade Game
3. X-Men Arcade
4. WWF Royal Rumble

5. Sunset riders
6. Nba Showtime on NBC
7. NFL Blitz.

$900 is probably right around the ballpark of what we can actually build these for.

Oh.
Will they be sold through Kickstarter only?
And how recent can we emulate games from?
Could I get street fighter 3 on this bitch?

Any other name ideas?

Any kind of pun using the word "arcade" will probably work.


BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

I have a question, Is there going to be a new version of Abobo's big adventure made for this that supports 4 player?

No, the game was imagined and executed as a 1 player experience (except the 2 player battle mode, and secret Contra 2 player mode) so it's next to impossible to make it 4 player without having to completely redo it from the ground up... Maybe if Nintendo paid us to make it for the Wii U or something :-P

Knights
Knights
  • Member since: May. 29, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

Retrocade, Super Happy Fun Time Go!

But seriously, I really admire what you're doing here. Arcades and arcade games are becoming a dying medium here in the States and to only see them in places like Chuck E. Cheeses and Dave & Busters is a damn shame.

Now, if only I could get this and original MVC, my room would look 1000% cooler.


I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:35 PM, BoMToons wrote:
Maybe 2 would be something like $600-800 and the 4 would be $1000
Would you be interested in just getting a snap together frame without comp/monitor for those prices? The monitor and computer drive the price up quite a bit.

I honestly wouldn't be able to use/afford this really.
It would be a cool novelty but I can actually emulate stuff on my Android and play it with my Moga controller thing.

What a cool idea might be would be selling these to arcade owners, because Idk if that many people would want to pay for the novelty of a big arcade machine when they can play it on most computers for free. Some people will, but it seems like a large investment and a large product.

Another idea is making smaller scale arcade machines, specific to tabletops. Maybe 1 and 2 player only. If you could sell it for cheap (dream would be like $300-$500) tons of people would buy it. Or even one that just hooks up to the TV.


BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:43 PM Reply

(Posting with alt due to posting limits)

At 1/21/13 05:36 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:32 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:25 PM, tox wrote: 4 player old school arcade games... the thing to do on Friday night
Great 4 player arcade games:

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. The Simpsons Arcade Game
3. X-Men Arcade
4. WWF Royal Rumble
5. Sunset riders
6. Nba Showtime on NBC
7. NFL Blitz.

8. NBA Jam


$900 is probably right around the ballpark of what we can actually build these for.
Oh.
Will they be sold through Kickstarter only?

The Abobo limited edition ones would be. If there was demand past the Kickstarter for just the 4 player MAME cabinets we might consider making a website and selling them after the KS campaign.

And how recent can we emulate games from?

If it will run on a PC/Console (X-box, ps2/3, Wii/WiiU, etc.) you can run it through this thing.

Could I get street fighter 3 on this bitch?

Probably.

Any other name ideas?
Any kind of pun using the word "arcade" will probably work.

Let's brainstorm some more ideas :-D

HighWay
HighWay
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:47 PM Reply

how much for the whole shebang?


The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:47 PM, HighWay wrote: how much for the whole shebang?

Not sure yet.

What price would make you actually consider getting one?

The 2p would be cheaper than the 4 p. And just buying the snap together cabinet (without comp/monitor) would be cheaper too.

HighWay
HighWay
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:55 PM, PestoForce wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:47 PM, HighWay wrote: how much for the whole shebang?
Not sure yet.

What price would make you actually consider getting one?

The 2p would be cheaper than the 4 p. And just buying the snap together cabinet (without comp/monitor) would be cheaper too.

I looked at a few gaming cabinets, and by that I only looked at one (it was Galaga btw), but i think that someone could pick this up for around $500 at the most.

I may be off by a lot, though. I suck at estimates.


The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:03 PM, HighWay wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:55 PM, PestoForce wrote:
At 1/21/13 05:47 PM, HighWay wrote: how much for the whole shebang?
Not sure yet.

What price would make you actually consider getting one?

The 2p would be cheaper than the 4 p. And just buying the snap together cabinet (without comp/monitor) would be cheaper too.
I looked at a few gaming cabinets, and by that I only looked at one (it was Galaga btw), but i think that someone could pick this up for around $500 at the most.

I may be off by a lot, though. I suck at estimates.

A couple things to consider:

1. It's a MAME cabinet that can play pretty much ANY GAME YOU'VE EVER SEEN! :-D
2. It's new, don't compare it with old craigslist cabinets
3. It's 4 player, pretty hard to find 4 player MAME cabinets
4. You could buy the shell only without the comp/monitor for cheaper

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:11 PM Reply

i'd be willing to pay anywhere from 1-1.8k (1400$ would be just about perfect imo) for this, if it's actually cool and not as plain jane as the one in the photo

GOOD LUCK, GUYS


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:11 PM, Sekhem wrote: i'd be willing to pay anywhere from 1-1.8k (1400$ would be just about perfect imo) for this, if it's actually cool and not as plain jane as the one in the photo

GOOD LUCK, GUYS

Thanks for the estimate on the price :-)

What looks "plain jane" on the pic above? What would you expect to spice it up? Colored buttons? More stickers/artwork on the controller etc?

I must know!

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:16 PM, PestoForce wrote: What looks "plain jane" on the pic above? What would you expect to spice it up? Colored buttons? More stickers/artwork on the controller etc?

I must know!

buttons/sticks/control panel

the side/marquee art looks good though


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:38 PM Reply

Looking up other similar products on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/60-1-Multi-Arcade-Cocktail-Version/dp/
B008RB3SVW/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358811321&s r=1-7&keywords=tabletop+arcade

http://www.amazon.com/TRANSON-Ms-Pacman-Cocktail-Table/dp/B0 015O6RZC/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358811321&sr=
1-6&keywords=tabletop+arcade

http://www.amazon.com/Pac-Man-Classic-Cocktail-19-Inch-Monit or/dp/B000CMFMTK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358811321&
sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=tabletop+arcade

They're all 1,199 or above so if you can beat that you should be golden, seeing how they play only specific games.
I also still kinda think it might a good idea to make like a mini version, smaller for desktops with a smaller monitor/cpu for cheaper, if possible. Maybe it could be a 1p only version.


BBS Signature
Captain-Slugworth
Captain-Slugworth
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Movie Buff
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

Awesome! :O

PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:03 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:38 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: They're all 1,199 or above so if you can beat that you should be golden, seeing how they play only specific games.
I also still kinda think it might a good idea to make like a mini version, smaller for desktops with a smaller monitor/cpu for cheaper, if possible. Maybe it could be a 1p only version.

Yeah, making it smaller doesn't really make it cost a whole lot less (the wood is the cheapest part), still takes the same processing power to run it, still takes same cost for electronic controller parts and buttons, still costs the same for stickers/side art/decorations. We could save a bit on monitor though...

I think 4 player is the way to go though to really capture the ol' skool arcade feel. This is something you want to play together with friends, not just by your lonesome self :-)

jimbobmuffincake
jimbobmuffincake
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:06 PM Reply

Two questions: Is that real? Does it work?


ila

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:06 PM, jimbobmuffincake wrote: Two questions: Is that real? Does it work?

Yes and Yes.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:03 PM, PestoForce wrote:
At 1/21/13 06:38 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: They're all 1,199 or above so if you can beat that you should be golden, seeing how they play only specific games.
I also still kinda think it might a good idea to make like a mini version, smaller for desktops with a smaller monitor/cpu for cheaper, if possible. Maybe it could be a 1p only version.
Yeah, making it smaller doesn't really make it cost a whole lot less (the wood is the cheapest part), still takes the same processing power to run it, still takes same cost for electronic controller parts and buttons, still costs the same for stickers/side art/decorations. We could save a bit on monitor though...

I think 4 player is the way to go though to really capture the ol' skool arcade feel. This is something you want to play together with friends, not just by your lonesome self :-)

Totally makes sense.
But seeing as the other arcade machines for sale only do a limited amount of games then if you can price competitively you can totally beat them out.
Would it be a good idea to have it preloaded with games?
Like license some classics or something so you don't have to necessarily dl some right off the bat.
Idk if that's possible though.


BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:15 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Would it be a good idea to have it preloaded with games?
Like license some classics or something so you don't have to necessarily dl some right off the bat.
Idk if that's possible though.

It's pretty tough to license legit ROMs, so people would have to DL stuff to play.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:45 PM Reply

Sensey want Abobo 2.

They need make Abobo 2.

now.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 09:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Sensey want Abobo 2.

They need make Abobo 2.

now.

gimme moni


BBS Signature
KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:28 PM Reply

I want one.


BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 09:50 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 1/21/13 09:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Sensey want Abobo 2.

They need make Abobo 2.

now.
gimme moni

here's monipoly

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Abobo's Big Adventure Arcade Cab. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:42 PM Reply

How much does it cost to produce?


.