Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 10:28 AM Reply

Ya know what common sense dictates: if something doesn't sit right, it's likely not to sit right.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
CapnCoconuts
CapnCoconuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Old topic, yes, but:

"Hello CapnCoconuts,
I am contacting you in regards to a partnership that I think would benefit you. My name is Rachel and I am from FreeingMusic. FreeingMusic is dedicated to helping artists share, promote, and receive compensation for their music. It is a website that offers a larger share of ad revenues for your music. Your music is free for the public to download. We compensate you for each of these downloads with all the ad revenue. Moreover, there is a contest with $1000s in prizes. Our contest is run by the listeners, if you get the most votes you win $1000. There are also second and third place prizes and this contest runs non stop, year round! Once one ends the next begins and our third contest just started on July 1'st. Plus you get compensated for all the downloads you receive during the contest! Bring your fans, friends and family with you , so they can vote for you and help you win :-) Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to email me at contact@freeingmusic.com
For more information visit: www.freeingmusic.com/contest
Like on Facebook to stay updated: www.facebook.com/FreeingMusic
Follow on Twitter for music and contest news! www.twitter.com/FreeingMusic"

Got it from user "rachelrox", who registered today.

This is still happening.

Recent Audio: Nuclear Winter | Nuclear Holocaust | Don't Wait Until Night

tries to be a gentleman; doesn't always do a very good job

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:37 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:13 PM, ZStriefel wrote: Did anyone NOT get this PM? lmao

I didnt, perhaps because im known to be anti-money or something.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 7/2/13 12:13 AM, CapnCoconuts wrote: Got it from user "rachelrox", who registered today.

This is still happening.

Thanks. I just got word from Wade, "rachelrox" won't be sending anymore messages soon ;).

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:36 PM Reply

This may be a stupid and impossible thing to do, but I like throwing ideas at the wall.

Is there any way to auto-filter these spam messages somehow? Like if somebody sends a message with known spam messages x amount of time they get autobanned. Or more leniently, the message will refuse to send? This would require a bit more effort on the spammers' part as they'd have to actually change their messages around constantly.
[/possiblybadidea]

FustigateM
FustigateM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 01:19 AM Reply

I got this same sort of message as soon as i was scouted on the audio portal today, like almost instantly.

Gota' be careful with your music on the internet, especially if you haven't had it copyrighted.

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 10:03 AM Reply

At 7/2/13 11:36 PM, CheckeredZebra wrote: This may be a stupid and impossible thing to do, but I like throwing ideas at the wall.

Is there any way to auto-filter these spam messages somehow? Like if somebody sends a message with known spam messages x amount of time they get autobanned. Or more leniently, the message will refuse to send? This would require a bit more effort on the spammers' part as they'd have to actually change their messages around constantly.
[/possiblybadidea]

Right now all you can do I believe is block the specific user who was the original sender of the message as well as tell one of the moderators and they could deal with set user. Unfortunately though they would just make a whole new account to keep attempting to sucker people in.

Hm....I wonder if IP banning them would help?

Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 5th, 2013 @ 01:23 AM Reply

It seems at this point, this should just be stickied and become a general place to complain about issues similar to the one i described in the first post. It doesn't seem like this issue will stop any time soon sadly.

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 02:20 AM Reply

I got offered, do I win?

Shady Proposition

Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 7/7/13 02:20 AM, Sielumetsien wrote: I got offered, do I win?

Join the winners circle my friend, join the winners circle.

hhoulding
hhoulding
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 08:26 PM Reply

I got this email a couple of days ago, i made an account but seeing this i deleted it.

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 15th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Finally got one! I feel so special.

From user BrandiL

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 11:29 AM Reply

Can't somebody just IP ban him? He keeps sending these PMs.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 01:13 PM Reply

"Hello Dear, I am Miss annm abou Amir from Libya.I'm 24years younger never married before.
After going through your profile,i found it necessary to become your lovely friend.i will love you to communicate me via (annmabou485@yahoo.com) for more introduction of myself.
There are more to know about me once you email me.Cheers as i look forward to read from you now via email.

Much Love, (annmabou485@yahoo.com)
annm abou Amir"

-
Sent by someone called 'nancybaby'

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

hhoulding
hhoulding
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 7/16/13 01:13 PM, Calamaistr wrote: "Hello Dear, I am Miss annm abou Amir from Libya.I'm 24years younger never married before.
After going through your prof

I got that :/

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 17th, 2013 @ 07:54 AM Reply

At 7/16/13 02:26 PM, hhoulding wrote:
At 7/16/13 01:13 PM, Calamaistr wrote: "Hello Dear, I am Miss annm abou Amir from Libya.I'm 24years younger never married before.

As did I. Creepy person is creepy.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
hhoulding
hhoulding
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 17th, 2013 @ 08:18 AM Reply

At 7/17/13 07:54 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 7/16/13 02:26 PM, hhoulding wrote:
As did I. Creepy person is creepy.

indeed

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 17th, 2013 @ 10:56 AM Reply

At 7/16/13 01:13 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Sent by someone called 'nancybaby'

Same message, only you change Libya with UK.

Should I reply?

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 17th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 7/17/13 10:56 AM, Sielumetsien wrote:
At 7/16/13 01:13 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Sent by someone called 'nancybaby'
Same message, only you change Libya with UK.

Should I reply?

If it's not a Nigerian prince don't bother.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 18th, 2013 @ 02:43 AM Reply

I love how this person came in and tried to defend themselves initially... and when we exposed them, they decided to start spamming everyone on the portal with PM bots.

Shady Proposition

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Blokatt
Blokatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

I've received the same message from this user - BrandiL
Luckily, I'm not stupid enough to fall for it.

Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 7/26/13 02:04 PM, Blokatt wrote: I've received the same message from this user - BrandiL

The sad part is it's been going on for a very long time...

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 02:30 PM, Zafrece wrote:
At 7/26/13 02:04 PM, Blokatt wrote: I've received the same message from this user - BrandiL
The sad part is it's been going on for a very long time...

Let's put this into perspective:

1) Spambots go sending messages about FreeingMusic.
2) We call out the admins of that site.
3) Flood of users joining NG which are likely bots, sending these messages to us.
4) Deleting each user and rendering him inactive doesn't seem to help, because there always is another alt... or possibly another two more.

So what do we do about this? Anyone have any ideas?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Hahaha one day if one of you guys becomes famous they are going to dig through their deleted songs and accts info and find your artist name and your music and sue u with it hahaha. But don't worry I sighned up too and put some of my music on there. Deleting your acct probably just notifies them who figured out about the scam and now they have ur password if its the same one u use for everything.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 06:28 AM Reply

At 7/28/13 10:56 PM, Omegeist wrote: Hahaha one day if one of you guys becomes famous they are going to dig through their deleted songs and accts info and find your artist name and your music and sue u with it hahaha. But don't worry I sighned up too and put some of my music on there. Deleting your acct probably just notifies them who figured out about the scam and now they have ur password if its the same one u use for everything.

You do know that the T&Cs are NOT binding anymore when you delete your account with them, right? They can sue us all they want, but they'll lose miserably because of it.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 11:52 AM Reply

"So what do we do about this? Anyone have any ideas?"

Like I said, perhaps we could just disable messages that are known chain-letters (be it by . Yes, the spammers could just add an extra dot or change some words around to avoid it, but at the least they'd have a harder time automating everything. The effort would go from a few minutes of clicking on a bot to a couple hours creating diverse spams and setting up a bot that picks from several messages. The NG admins/Mods/whoever would just have a list where they copy/paste known letters in and can have several different "blocked" paragraphs at a time.
It can also make spam messages more apparent if the writer/coder is lazy and just adds a string of gibberish at the end to make the message different enough to go through.

Example:
"Hello. I am from FreeingMusic. We like your stuff, join us. asdlfk!@df I like cats."

In the end, if a user tries to send several people blocked messages enough, they are automatically banned. If the account really is a junk one, the perpetrators probably won't waste time trying to appeal.

Regardless, though, perhaps this would be overly difficult or complicated to code. I am not one to know as such. =P

There's also probably a few options regarding account registration itself, but because I haven't even looked at the registration page since 2009 (and don't know much about coding) I can't delve into that.

Even knowing how they detect who to send the messages to would be helpful; do they just sort people by their aura (musician, artist, etc)? Do they just run down the audio portal and spam artist names? Do they fish around in the forums? All three? Is their sorting method manual or automatic? Perhaps there is a way to block them at that stage.

Furthermore this whole fiasco wouldn't just apply to the music portal either; such a discussion would apply to Newgrounds in general even if the first notice was regarding music spam. Might be worth its own topic somewhere.

shrugo
shrugo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Shady Proposition Aug. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:06 PM Reply

I too just got this spam from BrandiL. I think that it would be nice if anything invloving the word FreeingMusic in the message was filtered out. Yes, this means we wouldn't be able to PM each other about FreeingMusic, but oh well. This way they will be required to throw in spaces etc. that need to be removed to proceed to their site, and Internet users are pretty good at picking up on the fact that something like that screams scam.

Pierceful
Pierceful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Shady Proposition Aug. 25th, 2013 @ 12:53 AM Reply

At 8/23/13 04:06 PM, shrugo wrote: I too just got this spam from BrandiL.

I got the same, too. From BrandiL. Promptly ignored it after checking their site.