00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zachattack92 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Shady Proposition

10,639 Views | 100 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-07 11:39:12

At 3/7/13 11:32 AM, Elitistinen wrote: There is a Block button, people. Use it.

Spammer is gonna spam.

This thread is useful however.
Not everyone who gets this PM instantly recognizes this as spam and might want to look into it.
It's nice to get a warning.

Also, i got the PM too. And it wasn't a bot, since i asked a question and got a reply.
Asked another question after that, but didn't get a reply to that, unfortunately.

Shady Proposition

BBS Signature

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-07 13:26:29

"Not everyone who gets this PM instantly recognizes this as spam and might want to look into it. It's nice to get a warning."

Exactly this. Not only that, but it loosely documents the amount of people that have received this, might provide helpful insight into who & what to look out for in the future.

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-11 00:46:37

Just saw this thread. Went over to FM and deleted the one song I posted there as well as my account. Nice catch.

Whelp, here's my signature.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-11 01:35:15

Phew, thankfully, it's over now.

Thanks.

(Generic signature goes here)

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-11 02:19:44

At 3/11/13 01:35 AM, Woolio1 wrote: Phew, thankfully, it's over now.

Thanks.

Nah he will keep spamming them, it's not over.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-13 12:37:00

Hello Ditchy,
I am contacting you in regards to a partnership that I think would benefit you. My name is Alicia and I am from FreeingMusic. FreeingMusic is dedicated to helping artists share, promote, and receive compensation for their music. It is a website that offers a larger share of ad revenues for your music. Your music is free for the public to download. We compensate you for each of these downloads with all the ad revenue. Moreover, there is a contest with $1000s in prizes. Our contest is run by the listeners, if you get the most votes you win $1000. There are also second and third place prizes and this contest runs non stop, year round! Once one ends the next begins. Plus you get compensated for all the downloads you receive during the contest! Bring your fans, friends and family with you , so they can vote for you and help you win :-) Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to email me at contact@freeingmusic.com
For more information visit: www.freeingmusic.com/contest

lol glad i didnt believe it. Im not that good anyway :)

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-21 12:24:15

I just received this message from http://rachelrox.newgrounds.com/. I wonder if this guy legally changes his name every time he makes a new account to spam with, surely he can't be lying about even that...

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-21 20:26:08

Yes, he/she's still at it; I got a PM as well. Twice. Here was my original response:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact me. My short answer is: no, thank you. I'm not convinced that ad revenue from a site with as small an amount of daily traffic as FreeingMusic (see http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/freeingmusic.com) would be significantly profitable for me or you. Furthermore, messaging people on Newgrounds in this fashion strikes me as a somewhat spammy way of attracting attention for your community-in-progress. I wish you success with your website."

BBS Signature

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-22 17:49:50

lol looks like the Nigerian romance scammers are having a go at it today too :P

from http://mylove4you.newgrounds.com/

Hello dear,
Permit me to inform you my interest of going
into business relationship with you. As I
have inherited the sum of 5,650, 000.00USD
from my late father who died recently.
I have the intention of investing this sum
with your care and supervision in your
country with a percentage that will be
negotiated among us. If you are willing to
cooperate with me let me know so that I will
furnish you with more details on the next
step for smooth achievement of this risk
free transaction.
Contact me on this private mail.
(princess.sameera4u@yahoo.com) for more
details.
Miss Sameera Michel.

LOL

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-03-22 18:49:15

My goodness... what a nuthouse this is...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-11 19:21:29

So...Tunehog, "music Discovery and Management" tool.

Has anyone heard about it?

Shady Proposition

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-11 22:27:43

At 4/11/13 07:21 PM, SilverPoyozo wrote: So...Tunehog, "music Discovery and Management" tool.

Can't say i have heard of that.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-13 05:47:14

At 4/11/13 07:21 PM, SilverPoyozo wrote: So...Tunehog, "music Discovery and Management" tool.

I take it you never signed up for Uplaya previously? If so, what a bunch of spammers...

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-17 09:20:34

I got that email too, Luckily I didn't fall for it but good to know for sure that it definitely is spam :) I'll keep my eye out for similar ones like it in future...

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-17 10:19:32

Yep, got the message from this person http://julialee.newgrounds.com/ ...checked out the site, but something didn't sit right with me...glad I didn't post anything. Thanks for the heads up, and for just having this thread.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-04-17 10:28:50

Ya know what common sense dictates: if something doesn't sit right, it's likely not to sit right.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-02 00:13:51

Old topic, yes, but:

"Hello CapnCoconuts,
I am contacting you in regards to a partnership that I think would benefit you. My name is Rachel and I am from FreeingMusic. FreeingMusic is dedicated to helping artists share, promote, and receive compensation for their music. It is a website that offers a larger share of ad revenues for your music. Your music is free for the public to download. We compensate you for each of these downloads with all the ad revenue. Moreover, there is a contest with $1000s in prizes. Our contest is run by the listeners, if you get the most votes you win $1000. There are also second and third place prizes and this contest runs non stop, year round! Once one ends the next begins and our third contest just started on July 1'st. Plus you get compensated for all the downloads you receive during the contest! Bring your fans, friends and family with you , so they can vote for you and help you win :-) Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to email me at contact@freeingmusic.com
For more information visit: www.freeingmusic.com/contest
Like on Facebook to stay updated: www.facebook.com/FreeingMusic
Follow on Twitter for music and contest news! www.twitter.com/FreeingMusic"

Got it from user "rachelrox", who registered today.

This is still happening.

Recent Audio: Nuclear Winter | Nuclear Holocaust | Don't Wait Until Night

tries to be a gentleman; doesn't always do a very good job

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-02 06:37:32

At 1/21/13 10:13 PM, ZStriefel wrote: Did anyone NOT get this PM? lmao

I didnt, perhaps because im known to be anti-money or something.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-02 13:16:06

At 7/2/13 12:13 AM, CapnCoconuts wrote: Got it from user "rachelrox", who registered today.

This is still happening.

Thanks. I just got word from Wade, "rachelrox" won't be sending anymore messages soon ;).

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-02 23:36:12

This may be a stupid and impossible thing to do, but I like throwing ideas at the wall.

Is there any way to auto-filter these spam messages somehow? Like if somebody sends a message with known spam messages x amount of time they get autobanned. Or more leniently, the message will refuse to send? This would require a bit more effort on the spammers' part as they'd have to actually change their messages around constantly.
[/possiblybadidea]

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-04 01:19:37

I got this same sort of message as soon as i was scouted on the audio portal today, like almost instantly.

Gota' be careful with your music on the internet, especially if you haven't had it copyrighted.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-04 10:03:47

At 7/2/13 11:36 PM, CheckeredZebra wrote: This may be a stupid and impossible thing to do, but I like throwing ideas at the wall.

Is there any way to auto-filter these spam messages somehow? Like if somebody sends a message with known spam messages x amount of time they get autobanned. Or more leniently, the message will refuse to send? This would require a bit more effort on the spammers' part as they'd have to actually change their messages around constantly.
[/possiblybadidea]

Right now all you can do I believe is block the specific user who was the original sender of the message as well as tell one of the moderators and they could deal with set user. Unfortunately though they would just make a whole new account to keep attempting to sucker people in.

Hm....I wonder if IP banning them would help?

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-05 01:23:11

It seems at this point, this should just be stickied and become a general place to complain about issues similar to the one i described in the first post. It doesn't seem like this issue will stop any time soon sadly.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-07 02:20:38

I got offered, do I win?

Shady Proposition

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-07 16:22:51

At 7/7/13 02:20 AM, Sielumetsien wrote: I got offered, do I win?

Join the winners circle my friend, join the winners circle.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-10 20:26:43

I got this email a couple of days ago, i made an account but seeing this i deleted it.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-15 19:54:04

Finally got one! I feel so special.

From user BrandiL

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-16 11:29:50

Can't somebody just IP ban him? He keeps sending these PMs.

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-16 13:13:40

"Hello Dear, I am Miss annm abou Amir from Libya.I'm 24years younger never married before.
After going through your profile,i found it necessary to become your lovely friend.i will love you to communicate me via (annmabou485@yahoo.com) for more introduction of myself.
There are more to know about me once you email me.Cheers as i look forward to read from you now via email.

Much Love, (annmabou485@yahoo.com)
annm abou Amir"

-
Sent by someone called 'nancybaby'

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Shady Proposition 2013-07-16 14:26:59

At 7/16/13 01:13 PM, Calamaistr wrote: "Hello Dear, I am Miss annm abou Amir from Libya.I'm 24years younger never married before.
After going through your prof

I got that :/