New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:23 AM Reply

I've found myself watching a lot more DVDs recently instead of gaming. When I've been browsing Amazon looking for stuff to watch I noticed that Blu-ray films seem to be priced a lot more reasonably now than I remember them being. So I'm wondering, do you guys think Blu-ray is worth paying a little extra for?

I suppose what's making me hesitant to start buying Blu-rays is the initial investment of a Blu-ray player. Might be worth it though because I've just gained access to a 40" TV, so I imagine Blu-ray would look a lot nicer on it than DVD. Was a bit surprised when I found out Blu-rays had load times though.

So basically, do you guys think investing in a Blu-ray player and paying a little more for Blu-ray copies of films is worth it? I've never had or experienced any films in Blu-ray.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:25 AM Reply

remastered movies, not really. but movies shot originally in ultra HD Hi-Fi bullshit, holy fuck you won't want to go back.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:25 AM Reply

it's usually a fraud. even if the format had higher resolution you'd have to remember that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p even with 20/20 vision. don't get conned, best stick to the original

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:27 AM Reply

plus most blu-ray movies come with a standard definition version. You can see for yourself if you like it like that, i guess.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:27 AM Reply

Blu-ray players and discs have been cheap for a few years now.

PrincessLuna
PrincessLuna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:43 AM Reply

Totally worth the investment, I cannot go back.

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Gamer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:55 AM Reply

You know the difference between a vinyl record and a CD. Imagine that in movie form. Worlds apart. Blu-Ray worth every penny.

Rachel
Rachel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Art Lover
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:22 AM Reply

It's definitely worth the move, me and the boy moved to blu-ray a couple of years ago and have never looked back. We just play them on his PS3 seeing as they're playable on that but I know his Mum even ended up getting a blu-ray player because of the quality and like someone else mentioned, they've come down a lot in price and look even more spectacular on a large TV; so I don't see why not now you have one! The first films we saw were LOTR, and they definitely made the decision for us. Go Dean, go!

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:28 AM Reply

I've never watched a movie on a blu-ray. The only blu-ray discs I have are my PS3 games.

At 1/21/13 10:24 AM, Provoke wrote: Stick to tapes, they'll come back I know it.

Tapes are awesome :3
I got a shit load of them in my room ._.
Along with my trusty VCR :3

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:43 AM Reply

Nahh, save the money. Blu-ray's not something I miss.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:47 AM Reply

It's a very noticeably difference, and imo they will start phasing out dvds soon anyway, the same way they did with video. Once they can get the price of blu-ray down to the same as dvd there won't be any point in selling them anymore.

Although in this day and age I don't even think blu-ray will last long when you will soon be able to stream a high quality product from lovefilm / netflix or whatever..

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:49 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 08:25 AM, HighWay wrote: remastered movies, not really. but movies shot originally in ultra HD Hi-Fi bullshit, holy fuck you won't want to go back.

Pretty much this. You can see everyones pores :o

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Another thing to consider is that they dont scratch. Great for those movies you like to watch over and over again.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:15 AM Reply

If you can afford the player itself, there's little reason not to upgrade. The price difference is basically nothing these days. You're looking at £2-£3 on a new release, and often even less on an older one.

The only real difference is TV shows, which still haven't closed the gap, but even then there's few absurd prices. Star Trek TNG is the only one I can think of that is still asking preposterous amounts for their Blu-rays.

At 1/21/13 08:25 AM, HighWay wrote: remastered movies, not really. but movies shot originally in ultra HD Hi-Fi bullshit, holy fuck you won't want to go back.

You don't know what you're talking about. Anything filmed on 35mm can be scanned at a higher resolution than Blu-ray currently allows, and they look infinitely better than their DVD counterparts. The only things that won't look better on blu-ray are TV shows recorded on videotape rather than film, which never seem to be released on it anyway.

Once 2K formats become the standard, then you can start discussing whether it's worth the upgrade from Blu-ray or not, because then the different in quality from a 35mm source will be negligible in many cases.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:32 AM Reply

??? that's ludachris

are you implying its not worth getting old movies on blu ray because they're old and not shot in hd? uh. if i recall correctly, films have been shot in super fucking hd for long ass time. there's thing called film and specifically 35 film. hell, 35mm even has a superior resolution to that of blu ray

as long as the studios actually take enough care in the remastering process, where they actually take the frames of film and scan them and encode it to mpeg2 or whatever the fuck they do, the movie regardless of age will look gr8

i dunno what whackass blu rays you've been watching

but @dean. blu rays are definitely worth it if you are enthusiastic about the stuff you watch because the detail and general improvement will make the experience oh so much more enthralling

@highway, here's a comparison shot between the dvd and blu ray release of blade runner. the difference is more than noticeable

Worth upgrading to Blu-ray?

hey

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:34 AM Reply

I don't think Blu-ray is worth for upgrading. DVD is fine. Fact is most people can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray played videos.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

Here's some good comparisons to show just how huge the difference is, regardless of the age or type of film.

Lawrence of Arabia
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Repo man
Alien
Double Indemnity
Akira
Jaws
Star Trek: The Next Generation
X-Men 2

Mouse over the images to see the DVD version.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:47 AM, Fim wrote: Although in this day and age I don't even think blu-ray will last long when you will soon be able to stream a high quality product from lovefilm / netflix or whatever..

I like to think that we still have a while yet before they completely get rid of physical media. Part of me thinks that maybe they never will because there still seems to be a decent number of people who prefer to own this kind of stuff, rather than just "rent" it, if that's a good way of describing streaming. I'm one of those people who likes to have physical copies of things.

At 1/21/13 11:15 AM, TheMaster wrote: If you can afford the player itself, there's little reason not to upgrade. The price difference is basically nothing these days. You're looking at Ã'£2-Ã'£3 on a new release, and often even less on an older one.

As of right now, affording a Blu-ray player isn't much of an issue. I'm just stuck trying to decide whether or not to spend a little extra for a WiFi enabled player so that I could then subscribe to Netflix if I wanted to.

Currently considering the Sony BDPS390 for £90 or if having a WiFi enabled player is something I could get by without, I could fall back to some slightly cheaper players. Think I'm pretty convinced on getting a Blu-ray player, it's just trying to decide which to go for.

The only real difference is TV shows, which still haven't closed the gap, but even then there's few absurd prices. Star Trek TNG is the only one I can think of that is still asking preposterous amounts for their Blu-rays.

TV shows are typically what I tend to watch these days and I did notice the rather outrageous (by my standards) prices they sell individual seasons for, never mind full series. It was actually seeing the complete Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set for the same price as the DVD set that got me interested in considering making the switch to Blu-ray to begin with. Although I think it actually happens to be one of the shows where Blu-ray didn't make too much of a difference? Might be wrong.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:35 AM, TheMaster wrote: Here's some good comparisons to show just how huge the difference is, regardless of the age or type of film.

Lawrence of Arabia
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Repo man
Alien
Double Indemnity
Akira
Jaws
Star Trek: The Next Generation
X-Men 2

Mouse over the images to see the DVD version.

Let it be known that thine should make blu-ray your default player as of now! But only as long as you have an HD TV with an HDMI cable.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:14 PM Reply

Just get a PS3. Get better movies and better gaming.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:41 AM, Dean wrote: TV shows are typically what I tend to watch these days and I did notice the rather outrageous (by my standards) prices they sell individual seasons for, never mind full series. It was actually seeing the complete Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set for the same price as the DVD set that got me interested in considering making the switch to Blu-ray to begin with. Although I think it actually happens to be one of the shows where Blu-ray didn't make too much of a difference? Might be wrong.

Battlestar Galactica is a very grainy series, and people are so use to grain being a bad thing that they neglect that sometimes it's a part of the image itself. People making this assumption leads to horrible crimes against humanity like the Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition, in which ALL the grain is digitally removed, and everyone looks like a wax dummy.

The Blu-ray are better than the DVDs, in that they look closer to what Battlestar Galactica is supposed to look like. They're not crystal clear demo reel content, though, because they're not supposed to be.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 08:23 AM, Dean wrote: Was a bit surprised when I found out Blu-rays had load times though.

OH GOD I did not know this.

I am having visions of being forced to play interactive blu-ray quiz games at family gatherings and actually being able to feel my cells dying during load times.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 12:30 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 1/21/13 08:23 AM, Dean wrote: Was a bit surprised when I found out Blu-rays had load times though.

It's 5 seconds when you first put the disc in, tops, on almost everything.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 12:25 PM, TheMaster wrote: Battlestar Galactica is a very grainy series, and people are so use to grain being a bad thing that they neglect that sometimes it's a part of the image itself.

I did end up reading about the post-production grain filters when I read some reviews on Amazon. Still, considering the Blu-ray and DVD complete series are currently selling on Amazon for about the same price, I see no reason not to go for the Blu-ray. £35 for the complete series (excluding The Plan) seems like a pretty decent offer. Never seen Battlestar Galactica though. Just the odd fan made trailer. Reckon I'll be ordering it along with the player, once I make up my mind.

At 1/21/13 12:30 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:

From what I've gathered the loading time varies depending on the player and the contents of the disc, I think. I was watching a video review on the Sony player I mentioned earlier and whatever disc he used as an example took about 40 seconds to load up. No interactive games though, just staring at a completely black screen for the duration of it.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 12:44 PM, Dean wrote: I did end up reading about the post-production grain filters when I read some reviews on Amazon. Still, considering the Blu-ray and DVD complete series are currently selling on Amazon for about the same price, I see no reason not to go for the Blu-ray. Ã'£35 for the complete series (excluding The Plan) seems like a pretty decent offer. Never seen Battlestar Galactica though. Just the odd fan made trailer. Reckon I'll be ordering it along with the player, once I make up my mind.

It's REALLY good for the most part. Miniseries and first two series are incredible, then it takes a bit of a dip about 1/3 of the way through season 3, and then nosedives in the final season. Still well worth watching. The Plan is rubbish, but the other film, Razor, is great.

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:00 PM Reply

If you have a true high definition 1080p t.v. yeah it's basically the standard to get a blu ray player. They're pretty cheap now, even the blu ray discs, great time to buy.

Little-Jacob
Little-Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:15 PM Reply

Aright, aright, me bredda. You shud be upgrading to de Blu-Ray and ting, it's good for de soul, seen? I know dis and ting.

One love, rasta!

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

4K HDTVs will be coming out soon.

I don't know if this means upconversion for Blu-Ray, or a new format on the horizon.

Little-Jacob
Little-Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 03:26 PM, Painbringer wrote: 4K HDTVs will be coming out soon.

I don't know if this means upconversion for Blu-Ray, or a new format on the horizon.

Rasta, I and I telling ya, 4K and dat ting is fake and ting! Dis is a ting I know dat it's not da real enjoyment, seen?

One love, me bredda!

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Worth upgrading to Blu-ray? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:34 AM, Elitistinen wrote: I don't think Blu-ray is worth for upgrading. DVD is fine. Fact is most people can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray played videos.

lol at this guy